CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #8,806 of 31,833
shipment in of recent orders
out of box listening comparison this weekend
burn in for the next two

0405181947_resized.jpg

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #8,808 of 31,833

As the Z5000 can be wear over the ear or the normal way (wich I prefer) I think this ear hook cable isnt the right choice because of wearing style limitation.
Cable like this is more versatile:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BGV...b295aac&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

Or this (little more fragile but I like it anyway)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...b295aac&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #8,809 of 31,833
shipment in of recent orders
out of box listening comparison this weekend
burn in for the next two

Wow, lot of nice stuffs there.
I'm curious how much you pay the Tenore and were you find them?

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #8,810 of 31,833
Wow, lot of nice stuffs there.
I'm curious how much you pay the Tenore and were you find them?
The Tenore are awesome for classical music, really symphonic, but seriously lack in bass. I find it to be the only genre to sparkle on these IEM's.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #8,811 of 31,833
What???? are you serious?
OH, sorry if my joke was bad taste, i'm serious about high suicide rate in quebec, we are number 1 province of highest number in Canada and this still is. But Montreal isn't the highest rated town. More rural region where help can't be find in moment of distress. As a matter of fact, I truggle with depression as well, but I always think everybody was either depress or neurotic in some way so I put it on my too aware sensibility.
Im very sincerly sorry about your lost and empathize as much as I can.
We need to make the world a better place so violence of ''ordinary'' not too ambitious life became less tragic. Some depression are chemical disfonction in the brain, but lot of them is about not wanting to live in this type of ultra competitive and mecanical world. Talking with other sure can help, just wish we don't need to pay to get listen by somebody. especially if we wanna talk from soul to soul.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #8,812 of 31,833
the ue900s are back on massdrop for $174, which is good value for its sq. as i've opined, many of the cheaper chifi faves have more posh builds and better cables, but the ue900s are extremely resolving/accurate.
Hum....now this begin to get me curious for an end-game IEM. Is there any harsh peak to it? Did the low have good body and impact in a tigh way? Did mids are enough airy to give an enveloping feeling to vocal???

Yeah, I still need to be ultra convainced before trying to find 200$ and buy my must expensive IEM of last 5 years.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #8,813 of 31,833
nympho:
1. there are no harsh peaks--treble is warmish and sibilance free; shows good detail but isn't clinical like some high $$$ pieces.
2. low end is what i would call "audiophile," which is to say it goes pretty deep and is well controlled and accurate, but not basshead or thumpy--more like your pmv than your z5000.
3. mids are indeed airy--theres a mid-forward quality to these that makes them excellent for vocals; imaging is excellent. fwiw, the ue900s is less congested and has better resolution than the quite comparable shure 535
definitely worth the $174, though i'd be curious to hear them against something like the lz big dipper or rhythmos, which i haven't yet tested.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #8,814 of 31,833
the ue900s are back on massdrop for $174, which is good value for its sq. as i've opined, many of the cheaper chifi faves have more posh builds and better cables, but the ue900s are extremely resolving/accurate.
The "upgrade" cable for the UE900S is only $8 away: https://goo.gl/JggeCC
When shipping these to Canada, my neighbour and I were spared from taxes and import fees. $179 USD (in my case) was the final price.

And yes, I concur with loomisjohnson that they are not entirely neutrally tuned (as expected by puritan audiophiles).

I still think these are a no brainer for anybody with a semi-limited budget who wants to sniff the world of audiophile iems. As said before, a competent reviewer (who actually wrote a review on these) told me, in order to get a noticeably better sound, you have to pay 5 to 10 times more.

These are my personal benchmark iems.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #8,816 of 31,833
You got it dead right. The place was huge and overstaffed without any customers. I told them I needed tape for earphone modding. They were simply happy to talk to anybody, so lonely was the place. Whacky Otto was dressed like hell, unshaven, and looked like a German submarine commander who had shot his torpedos away. Otto then pushed an elderly lady aside who was looking into some medical however ugly plush slippers. These old ladies are so rude... :)

How are you finding them so far?

fire.gif

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #8,817 of 31,833
There are two types of medical tape - one that has micro holes in it and the other one is the hypoallergenic type that feels like paper. I tried the one with micro holes - no difference felt.

Then I used a regular transparent tape to do the mod right.

The trick though, as in teh case with all IEMs, is finding the right tip that fits. I tried around 10 pairs before I finally landed on the **** XBA 6in1 stock tip. Even without the mod, this tip gave a good amount of mid bass.
It would be interesting to measure the iems with different kinds of tape and different arrays of holes added with a needle. What does tape do, generally? When I tried micropore tape on the Tennmak Dulcimer once, the sound was totally muffled.

We know that wide bore tips increase treble and possibly remove a bit of midrange, we know that taping vents increases bass, we know that adding metal screens adds treble and textile screen remove some. But what does tape do? I would like to see the respective frequency response curves.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #8,819 of 31,833
nympho:
1. there are no harsh peaks--treble is warmish and sibilance free; shows good detail but isn't clinical like some high $$$ pieces.
2. low end is what i would call "audiophile," which is to say it goes pretty deep and is well controlled and accurate, but not basshead or thumpy--more like your pmv than your z5000.
3. mids are indeed airy--theres a mid-forward quality to these that makes them excellent for vocals; imaging is excellent. fwiw, the ue900s is less congested and has better resolution than the quite comparable shure 535
definitely worth the $174, though i'd be curious to hear them against something like the lz big dipper or rhythmos, which i haven't yet tested.

This was like reading a very mesmerizing poem....it really HOOK me now. Say that cause I feel my ear have been too beaten up with harsh treble. I like the PMV bass too, feel its a fast one comparared to Z5000.
On amazon.ca they sell the 900s...350$ usd. So its kind of 50% sale, on ebay its always findable for 225$.
Mids look sumptuous if foward airy but not trebly...prefer mid centric iem that not forget bass.
Must admit i'm curious about rhytmos as well...hum, will make lot of study before making this type of serious purchase, even if your description really work my impulsivity!

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #8,820 of 31,833
Is there still any buzz around the DZAT then? I find the bass too boomy and details too rare to enjoy the sound longer amount of times.
The DZAT DF-10 are an acquired taste with their wooden housings and their textile cable. The sound quality is in a league with the Urbanfun Hifi. Bass could be drier, mids, treble, and soundstage are good. There is nothing piercing or harsh. I keep on comparing them to the Sennheiser in-ear Momentum and can't find much of a quality difference. And I would rank them slightly above the Einsear T2. I paid $13 and found that a great deal. Admittedly, I don't use them very often as they are "more of the same"...I got some crowding in the $10-20 category.

A hype, if it existed, would be unwarranted.

My advise: don't pay more than $20 and only get them if you don't have the $20 category completely covered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back