CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #7,097 of 31,833
Hahahaha OK

But @Slater and @ottomotor are more experienced in listening

@realkandar
I have been majorly confused by the last few posts. But, if you want a good and interesting 2-driver earphone on top of your final selection, I recommend the KZ ZSE. No additional cables needed.

Here a review by the legendary headphone guru Dr. Schweinsgruber:

What the viewers say:

Don Lightband2 days ago
I took the hint and ordered, and am here to tell you I'm positively over the moon with these puppies! I have all the usual budget-IEM suspects as you can imagine, but these are the VERY FIRST IEMs I can, and want to, listen to music through for hours! I am extreeeemely pleased about this, and would like to thank the Doc for whatever quality it is he possesses (can't possibly put my finger on it) that gives his utterance dat ole ring of truth! I'm also now (naturellement) very interested in KZ (Knowledge Zenith gasp!) products, and am thinking of pulling the trigger on the single driver ATEs as we speak!

Also very good are the $12 Swing ie800

Bruno Coutinho
Hello, Dr. I totally agree with your review. I think the Swing IE800 is the best bang for buck in chifi world you can get (just like the KZ ZS5). Unreal clarity, andI have lots of chifi IEMs, believe me. I use foam tips because I think they show the true potencial of the Swing.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #7,098 of 31,833
I have been majorly confused by the last few posts. But, if you want a good and interesting 2-driver earphone on top of your final selection, I recommend the KZ ZSE. No additional cables needed.

Here a review by the legendary headphone guru Dr. Schweinsgruber:

What the viewers say:

Don Lightband2 days ago
I took the hint and ordered, and am here to tell you I'm positively over the moon with these puppies! I have all the usual budget-IEM suspects as you can imagine, but these are the VERY FIRST IEMs I can, and want to, listen to music through for hours! I am extreeeemely pleased about this, and would like to thank the Doc for whatever quality it is he possesses (can't possibly put my finger on it) that gives his utterance dat ole ring of truth! I'm also now (naturellement) very interested in KZ (Knowledge Zenith gasp!) products, and am thinking of pulling the trigger on the single driver ATEs as we speak!

Also very good are the $12 Swing ie800

Bruno Coutinho
Hello, Dr. I totally agree with your review. I think the Swing IE800 is the best bang for buck in chifi world you can get (just like the KZ ZS5). Unreal clarity, andI have lots of chifi IEMs, believe me. I use foam tips because I think they show the true potencial of the Swing.

I have both and I find the ZSE really lacking in the clarity resolution department. Swing IE800 does have harsh treble on some tracks but the soundstage & signature is fun (nice layering, not as wide as ZS5 but that one is a outliner).
I never listen to the zse nowadays but it's not as bad as people would say on this site (I found myself defending it), nor is it as good as the video review above, imo. Nice overall sound (bass is fun) but clearly lacking in detail. I actually prefer the VE monks overall.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #7,099 of 31,833
I have both and I find the ZSE really lacking in the clarity resolution department. Nice overall sound (bass is fun) but clearly lacking in detail.

I can also confirm that these aren't the best when it comes to clarity. Lower treble sounds really muffled. On the contrary it's perfect for lo-fi music. Currently in the midst of ridding them on my local classifieds, but even on there no one seems to want it, lol.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #7,100 of 31,833
I just got the Yersen Fen-2000 and it is a very good iem, got more bass than the TinAudio T2, very comfortable. Great for what it costs, I'm still working on the right tip for me

Hi, Would you say that they sound in the same league as the ASE that you received recently ? Looking in FR graphs they do seem similar to T2 with more Bass. Would you say that this description Matches the sound ? I am asking of the ase because they also caught my attention but they are ahead of the budget that i am willing to pay for another iem.

Finnaly, i got T2 on order and i am thinking in getting this yersen too, but worried of sounding redundant. I have also the Idea to use the additional cable of yersrn to buy only the Shells of tennmak pro or **** pt15 in the Future. You can buy the Shells of tennmak pro for 12$ in ali :)

Thx for any information.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #7,102 of 31,833
I prefer the Yersen to the ASE, also it is a barrel shape that I find comfortable

Thx. Short and straight to the point as always haha.

I find funny How different people are. There are people that can't barely wait to convince the world to get their new Discovery and Share. You seem to be more worried to take your time listening to the actual thing and be as neutral and discreet as possible.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #7,103 of 31,833
Those 2 MMCX cables in the Yersen FeN 2000 how would you rate them? I'm looking for nice IEMs with an OK MMCX cable as a spare for my IT01...and this just seems to good to be true:) Especially if they're good IEMs!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #7,106 of 31,833
nice soft cables, do the job (and won't go green :))
Just pulled the trigger. At 20eu, with 2 cables are a nice build it seems like a no brainer. How is the soundstage on these? I was thinking of getting the KZ6 after losing one of my KZ5, and the KZ5/6 shine in terms of seperation.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #7,108 of 31,833
s-l500.jpg

I'm planning to buy this long rectangular case to house all my other small circular/square earphone cases. Just imagine stacking them side by side, I think it would make a great case to store all your earphone cases just to keep things organized.

LINK

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #7,109 of 31,833
I can also confirm that these aren't the best when it comes to clarity. Lower treble sounds really muffled. On the contrary it's perfect for lo-fi music. Currently in the midst of ridding them on my local classifieds, but even on there no one seems to want it, lol.

I am wondering whether KZ changes their tuning all the time or has poor quality control. While I believe you that your ZSE may not have the desired clarity and resolution, mine do. Maybe that's why we sometimes talk apples and oranges.

What I know for sure is that Igor at audiobudget.com has KZ ES3 lacking bass whereas mine are bass canons.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #7,110 of 31,833
I am wondering whether KZ changes their tuning all the time or has poor quality control. While I believe you that your ZSE may not have the desired clarity and resolution, mine do. .

In my experience, the ZSE are source sensitive. Maybe that's why there are differing opinions on it.

When listened with my Lenovo laptop, they were pretty dull and lackluster.

When listened with my LG G6 Quad DAC, it was a very different experience. It had smooth sounding bass with nice "clarity" but not " resolution" in that they do still sound a little cluttered with instrumentation gets complicated. "Resolution" wasn't that great as poorly recorded tracks still sounded decent as their flaws didn't show up very well ( those tracks sounded pretty poor on the ZS6 for comparison) . But you still get most of the obvious treble you would expect to hear in a well made recording. (fine details were very feint though). Hence, sound stage wasn't that great despite it being essentially open backed in design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back