CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 26, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #6,361 of 31,859
Slater, hehe, funny coincidence....find these in thriftstore for a buck when I was searching for toys for my kid. Just find a little toy for me finally! Baaaaaad Daaaaad!
and it give two nice thing:
1-a big nostalgia shoot, as I have the same with my sony yellow walkman when I was.
2-a very okay sound, no distortion even with bassy track, and very airy. Did sound too ''grainy'' with Ibasso DX90 but with Xduoo X10 I find the right unlikely couple! Very comfy too, and I don't care to look like a jerk, find everybody look like (too serious) jerks these days.

EDIT:
Euh....160$ on Amazon.com???? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat da fock!?!?
Well, sure don't sound bad....try them with ultra bassy tracks and it can handle it like no earbuds I try. Man, gotta love vintage stuff!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-W20G-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00005BYER

now there's $159 profit right there :laughing:

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #6,362 of 31,859
I know a few people have asked about the dual dynamic driver S410 (https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_1120021.html).

Mine arrived today. It's comfy, nice build, nice ear guides, strong cable with very good strain reliefs, includes a decent zippered carry case, and has a massive selection of tips (the tip selection alone is worth it).

Sound wise, it's nothing special OOTB. It's a very average/mediocre v-shape IEM with seriously rolled off treble. Bass is muddy and it has a veiled sound, but that is because the nozzles are stuffed with foam. I removed the foam, which cleared up the muddiness and veil (why do these companies keep doing that is beyond me).

The treble can be boosted a lot via EQd, making it plenty bright enough for just about everyone except treble heads. I added +8dB of treble and it was just like I like it - anything over +10dB was too much. It's likely they could have tuned it without requiring any EQ if they had just added a crossover. That seems to be the big mistake on all of these dual 10mm+6mm dynamic driver jobbies - KZ ZS2, iRock A8, etc. They all sound mediocre OOTB, but improve 100% with a few minutes of EQ work.

Anyways, I only paid $6 for it - the carry case and tips are worth that. If you're willing to remove the foam in the nozzle (30 seconds of work with a sewing needle) and EQ the sound to your liking, it's worth picking up a set when it's on sale next (I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it). Otherwise, skip it because there's a million other competitors in the <$10 range.

It would make a nice donor shell for a custom IEM. The back comes off easy, there's plenty of room to work with, and the wiring appears easy to work on. There's lots of choices for 10mm drivers, including graphene.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #6,363 of 31,859
Yeah, they used to sell for $10-$15 before they were discontinued. $160 is a joke.

It's not that they sound super great. I mainly like that "vertical" style because they are comfortable and sound like earbuds when you stick earbuds in your ears sideways. The difference is that the headband of the vertical headphones holds the earbud parts in place, vs just sticking earbuds in your ears sideways makes them fall out when you move around. Does that make sense?

If you wanna sell them or trade them for some IEMs, PM me if interested. Not for $160 though LOL.

Ahah, yeah, real joke, but I guess we talk about ''collector item'' here...its like when anything is hard to find it became ultra pricey...if you want example, just check vintage cheap toys, 50's-70's plastic worth more than gold at the weight for sure!
Anyway, I think about you for sure buying these, with like toughs about finding one pair for you here!
Today i'm impress that 1$ give me this amount of pleasure, but it open doors about some old stuffs hide in my parent house...in the days the family (4 kids) got lot of these ''vertical in the ears'' earbuds, even think perhaps there this very one in some basements...but man, I read this in feedback amazon section '' by today's standards they look cheap and throwaway bound but these little badasses were considered studio reference quality back in the day! at 90.00 bucks a pop back then, ''....
if this is real, well, sure will not find them in parent house as they just buy cheap stuffs. Anyway, will look out, but I don't think you want crappy sounding ''vertical in ears'' earbuds?
No thriftstore in your area? Really. Give a look.
And i'm 100% positive too that comfort is very very sweet, and better than earbuds that are promp to fall. Its to be take with grain of salt as the headband can be an ennemy if it do not fit your head, I think it can make to pop up the earbuds from your ears if pression isn't well made for your head. These fit well but like with earbuds the best sound position need some struggling.

Talk you back about this Slater, will keep a eye open for ya!

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #6,365 of 31,859
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #6,367 of 31,859
Does really no one knows about the **** PT15?
True that there a whole thread about chifi earbuds, but in case you don't got answer there I feel obligate to share my answer as a pround **** PT-15 owner.

They are really incredible earbuds and would suggest them over the headroom just because they have detachable cable and better construction. One thing interesting is to use them with a balanced mmcx cable, it can really make them shine even more.
PT-15 are quite neutral-analytical earbuds, with very wide airy soundstage and excellent instrument separation, they can feel a little bright and ''metallic'' sounding at VERY high volume, but this is one of the aspect of Graphene drivers sound I think (from what I read about other graphen earbuds). For me, these PT-15 are a phenomenal value, especially when buy with silver plated cable. Fitting can be issue for some, as they are quite big and heavy. They are not mids fowards, more a very detailed ''high centric'' buds, bass is good and deep, not thick and boomy, mids are clear, but if you search earbuds for vocal this is not where they excell. Instrumental, jazz, classical sound incredible with this.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #6,368 of 31,859
My EMI CI-880 crapped out after 3 months' of usage. Does anyone know of any deal for it? The cheapest I can find is about $20 on AliExpress.

Maybe contact the seller and see if they'll replace it under warranty?

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #6,369 of 31,859
True that there a whole thread about chifi earbuds, but in case you don't got answer there I feel obligate to share my answer as a pround **** PT-15 owner.

They are really incredible earbuds and would suggest them over the headroom just because they have detachable cable and better construction. One thing interesting is to use them with a balanced mmcx cable, it can really make them shine even more.
PT-15 are quite neutral-analytical earbuds, with very wide airy soundstage and excellent instrument separation, they can feel a little bright and ''metallic'' sounding at VERY high volume, but this is one of the aspect of Graphene drivers sound I think (from what I read about other graphen earbuds). For me, these PT-15 are a phenomenal value, especially when buy with silver plated cable. Fitting can be issue for some, as they are quite big and heavy. They are not mids fowards, more a very detailed ''high centric'' buds, bass is good and deep, not thick and boomy, mids are clear, but if you search earbuds for vocal this is not where they excell. Instrumental, jazz, classical sound incredible with this.

Totally agree on the value, especially you can get a pair for $7 now, without cable. It's really good when listening to instrumental, soundtrack.. etc.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #6,370 of 31,859
And to continue about talking earbuds.

I just came back from post office where 2 earbuds was waiting for me the MOONDROP NAMELESS & DQSM Z&W PANDA:
P1270107.JPG P1270110.JPG

The Dark one (Nameless) are the darker-airyer. White are foward and more detailed. Both have very impressive construction for the price and Panda are very small wich is nice.

First impressions are positive and Panda are my favorite cause bass is thicker and sound is more energic and fun, both aren't vocal centric but clean in this area.

No deception here, no miracle neither (not sure tough, sound really good!). Will let them burn in a little and give more listen....now im really into my cheap Sony MDR-W20G lol really love them for real even if warmish overall sound kick ass of earbuds. I think I will try to suggest some chifi company to create model like these and use dual driver in it. Yeah, dreaming dreaming!
s-l1600sony.jpg

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #6,371 of 31,859
I know a few people have asked about the dual dynamic driver S410 (https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_1120021.html).

Mine arrived today. It's comfy, nice build, nice ear guides, strong cable with very good strain reliefs, includes a decent zippered carry case, and has a massive selection of tips (the tip selection alone is worth it).

Sound wise, it's nothing special OOTB. It's a very average/mediocre v-shape IEM with seriously rolled off treble. Bass is muddy and it has a veiled sound, but that is because the nozzles are stuffed with foam. I removed the foam, which cleared up the muddiness and veil (why do these companies keep doing that is beyond me).

The treble can be boosted a lot via EQd, making it plenty bright enough for just about everyone except treble heads. I added +8dB of treble and it was just like I like it - anything over +10dB was too much. It's likely they could have tuned it without requiring any EQ if they had just added a crossover. That seems to be the big mistake on all of these dual 10mm+6mm dynamic driver jobbies - KZ ZS2, iRock A8, etc. They all sound mediocre OOTB, but improve 100% with a few minutes of EQ work.

Anyways, I only paid $6 for it - the carry case and tips are worth that. If you're willing to remove the foam in the nozzle (30 seconds of work with a sewing needle) and EQ the sound to your liking, it's worth picking up a set when it's on sale next (I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it). Otherwise, skip it because there's a million other competitors in the <$10 range.

It would make a nice donor shell for a custom IEM. The back comes off easy, there's plenty of room to work with, and the wiring appears easy to work on. There's lots of choices for 10mm drivers, including graphene.

Oh, thanks for being guinea pig on this one....6$ is not a big collateral damage for the wallet:wink:
Was curious but now i'm not hehe

Other one that it make like a years that I put it in my Aliexpress card is this one:
Salar-F-Headphone-Bass-Noise-Isolating-Earphone-Sport-Earbuds-Stereo-Headsets-with-MIC-for-Mobile-phone.jpg_640x640.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sal...-With-Mic-for-iPhone-Samsung/32808723794.html

Now these can be found if more serious audio store like banned one and HCK (i think) wich make me even more curious cause there no fondamental crap in these store.

Have you try them or heard of them???

PS: I don't think I will sell the W20G cause I kinda fall in love with them and as they are water proof I will try to wear them under the rain and all....and I like retro stuff, I like disguise and What looking stuff. I see everything as disguise, unserious to the bone about visual self-presentation. In fact, now I feel the need to create a thread about best value vintage headphones, but the good era is finish, remember how it was easy to find vintage synth like 5 years ago, now everybody think they are vintage reseller and treasures seeker and antiquarian, in fact, they are just megalomaniac interested merchant....anyway, it still worth to go to thriftstore ause these type of (no real word for it) large band headphones still aren't THAT popular...cause 80's was worst era in term of look, so flashy it always hurt the eyes! Slater, go to thriftstore NOW, you'll find something i'm sure!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #6,373 of 31,859
@Nymphonomaniac those do look interesting. Bought a pair from this seller just because they were the cheapest although they didn't offer e-packet just standard AliExpress. For $10.50 I decided to chance it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ear...oise-Isolating-Sport-Dynamic/32821205154.html

Okay, very nice. :)
Price is very cheap and this store sell serious IEM as well so its a good sign IMO
Excited to know how they sound, hope it will be a delighfull discovery cause the look is nice and construction of housing look made of a sturdy plastic. Did you have other double dynamic IEM like the Tennmak Pro?

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #6,374 of 31,859
@Nymphonomaniac Off the top of my head I have the MEE Audio M-Duo but I know in recent spate of buying cheap IEMs I got at least 1 or 2 others.

I was planning on going through the big stack-o-IEMs ©®™ (soi for short) and making a full list of exactly what models I have. Wouldn't be much trouble to add the configuration when I'm looking to see their prices. So I'll have a list of 2 DD to compare against.

I really like the look of the purple ones and for just change over a tenner I had to order them. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #6,375 of 31,859
Been listening more to my new earbuds, and while I find both sound good I begin to think about DRIVERS FLEX....what does it mean exactly?

IS it about rattling noise create by drivers in some strange way like at high volume?

I encounter this in left earbud of Moondrop Nameless and it kind of depress me:frowning2: Don't know what it is or if its just because they can't deal with volume I listen too...wich even cheap earbuds can deal with without creating distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back