CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 6, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #5,792 of 31,845
In general, better/more expensive earphones have more prominent mids. That's a fact and this statement is testable. The T2, as stated by B9Scrambler don't have the V-shaped tuning typical in their price class. And you don't spend $500 on v-shaped earphones.

Today, I listened to the Focal Sphear and the NAD Viso HP20 for longer periods of time, then to the Tin Audio T2, and then to the KZ ZS5. Sorry, but whereas the first two play in the same league way ahead of the other two, even the T2 sounded tinny in the voice department in comparison and the ZS5 were a total joke with squeezed voices (maybe I received a dud). I then used the Lker i8 who had this vulgar punch just below the mids in the upper bass that almost made me throw them against the wall.

And if it comes down to taste that I prefer a jazz singer without a distant and hollow but rather a full and present voice, so be it.

Really, is CDN $99 for the decent NADs such a bad deal? I'd say they are a great value. In comparison, the Lker, in a similar price bracket (USD $64 regular) are a complete regret.

I feel more and more that I am not rich enough to afford cheap stuff. :smile_phones:

V shape, L shape, U shape, etc, it's just describing the relative volume/quantity of that specific frequency compared to the rest on that headphone/speaker/earphones... Not the quality/resolution/detail of that frequency produced. So there are expensive headphones that have V shape sound, but even though the mids seemed farther away, you can still hear them clearly (words are not mumbled, guitar distortions are clear enough that you could tell what amps or pedal they're using, etc)

treble and mids clearer presentation are harder and more expensive to reproduce, that's why the cheaper earphones can't even compete in that area compared to the pricier ones...the cheaper ones will sound more grainy on the highs, and veiled on mids.

Most people only care about volume or amount. part of that because of their not so ideal environment to listen to music (the street, busy commuters) , also because of the source and audio files they have is also not adequate. and most people are just happy with large bass, that's why cheaper cans boosts the lows more.

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #5,793 of 31,845
Most people only care about volume or amount. part of that because of their not so ideal environment to listen to music (the street, busy commuters) , also because of the source and audio files they have is also not adequate. and most people are just happy with large bass, that's why cheaper cans boosts the lows more.
Yes, that's why even cheepos like the Inpher Fuqing do a good job on the commute. So do the ZS5. A neutrally tuned iem on the bus or train is somewhat problematic.

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #5,794 of 31,845
I wish I could like the T2 as much as everyone else. I voted for them anyway, as they are great at home, but as most of my IEM use is outside, and the isolation (due to the fit - in my ears anyone) is nonexistent, hard to say I favor them over other things.

Still, if your use case isn't outside and on trains, or you just manage to get a great fit, hard to not recommend.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #5,800 of 31,845
1. They NEED low output impedance source!
2. They NEED little more power than regular smartphone or many low-budget chi-fi DAPs have!
3. They benefit slightly from low impedance cable (not those AE "upgrade" cables that can have even around 1.2 Ohm resistance). Stock dark-teal cable is quite ok btw.
4. They benefit from slightly warmish/warm sided source (mids stand out better and more even FR (highs "smoothed")).
5. They benefit from DEEP insertion and WIDE bore silicon tips.
6. They need to be checked for tape pieces above back of drivers and remove those.
Some questions @Otto Motor :
1. Did You fulfill those points above when evaluating ZS5v1 ? If You didn`t, tell us what was different? Different tips? More neutral/brighter source etc. ?

AAaaaah! Now I get what You mean. I instead like more distant & "hollow" mids. I listen lot of complex progressive rock and live concerts too. I remember getting LZ A2S and for example didn`t like closer intimate "in your headspace" presentation/imaging of vocals.
We just have different preferences about soundstage and imaging
And if it comes down to taste that I prefer a jazz singer without a distant and hollow but rather a full and present voice, so be it.
That`s the difference in our subjective preferences - I like "out of headstage" imaging and presentation (mainly due to my desk setup, which I find perfect enough for me to not jump on higher level and follow my IEM journey based about 70% on that signature. Fast note - X1 with my HW modified setup is NOT bassy, only slightly warm-tilted and maybe very slight U-shape), while You like more mids-oriented/present and intimate signature - and that`t totally fine. I think You would like LZ A2S much more than I did and do ZS5v1.
For example I can`t enjoy jazz-enriched progressive rock like Steven Wilson - Get all You deserve, Seven Impale - Contrapasso, The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute with too mids oriented and small intimate soundstage IEMs as I do with ZS5v1 and my desk setup. Also many other folk-infused prog-rock and other alternative prog-rock which are full of soundstage effects and layering of many instruments.
V shape, L shape, U shape, etc, it's just describing the relative volume/quantity of that specific frequency compared to the rest on that headphone/speaker/earphones... Not the quality/resolution/detail of that frequency produced. So there are expensive headphones that have V shape sound, but even though the mids seemed farther away, you can still hear them clearly (words are not mumbled, guitar distortions are clear enough that you could tell what amps or pedal they're using, etc)
+1 and I´d call ZS5v1 with all requirements I stated above fulfilled as U-shaped signature, with large open airy "out of the headstage" soundstage/imaging and good neutral mids.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #5,801 of 31,845
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #5,802 of 31,845
+1 and I´d call ZS5v1 with all requirements I stated above fulfilled as U-shaped signature, with large open airy "out of the headstage" soundstage/imaging and good neutral mids.

yup, I'd call the ZS5 more of a U shape also than a Vshape. it sounds good, especially considering the price. i also like farther away soundstage than the more closed/intimate earphones. the only gripe i have with the ZS5 is the treble volume is a little bit exaggerated. they are not sibilant or bad sounding at all, but more like a little boosted in volume compared to my other gears

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #5,803 of 31,845
Thats a really sharp price, havent seen them far below $50 before, and some Head-fi users who had them have placed some favourable impressions about them.

They're so ugly though! :confounded:
Not sure if there are other color schemes but they really limited their market with that sea shell bling:sparkles:

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #5,804 of 31,845
yup, I'd call the ZS5 more of a U shape also than a Vshape. it sounds good, especially considering the price. i also like farther away soundstage than the more closed/intimate earphones. the only gripe i have with the ZS5 is the treble volume is a little bit exaggerated. they are not sibilant or bad sounding at all, but more like a little boosted in volume compared to my other gears
Are Yours v1 or v2 ? What is Your source gear impedance? What tips? If You use foams or narrow-bore silicones, belive it or not, go with wide bore tips and deep insertion as it lets more DD-sound pass through and BA-highs pull back/even out. With v2 it is harder as 2xBA blocks DD-sound too much.
If I would know certainly a place where I could get another v1, I would totally pull apart one v1 and play with BA location.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #5,805 of 31,845
Are Yours v1 or v2 ? What is Your source gear impedance? What tips? If You use foams or narrow-bore silicones, belive it or not, go with wide bore tips and deep insertion as it lets more DD-sound pass through and BA-highs pull back/even out. With v2 it is harder as 2xBA blocks DD-sound too much.
If I would know certainly a place where I could get another v1, I would totally pull apart one v1 and play with BA location.

V1. i tried wide bores, spinfits, KZs tips, etc. i used them with cayin n3 and fiio e17k (i don't have them anymore though. for my latest setup you can check my profile). i like them best with ortofon tips. with wide bores the highs are even more exaggerated, that's why i didn't use it on them

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back