CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5,371 of 31,833
...for example, ZS5 and T2 currently compared before and after 100 hours of playtime.
Well, I hope the ZS5 (I got the first generation) will improve over time. Presently, they sound pretty unbalanced to my ears. Will have to try my luck myself with the looping. Talk to you in four days. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #5,372 of 31,833
Hello guys
Sorry to interrupt the convo, but i've been away in the military for a little while, hence not enough time to spend on the internet. Anyways, last time i checked the best sub 35-40$ aliexpress iems were the tennmak pro or piano,would that still be the case? My sound signature preference is balanced, leaning slightly towards bass without loosing detail in the mids, and just enough warmth that they dont sound too analytical and sterile. Any help? thanks in advance!!
Tin Audio T2! Don't know the Tennmaks.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5,373 of 31,833
Hello guys
Sorry to interrupt the convo, but i've been away in the military for a little while, hence not enough time to spend on the internet. Anyways, last time i checked the best sub 35-40$ aliexpress iems were the tennmak pro or piano,would that still be the case? My sound signature preference is balanced, leaning slightly towards bass without loosing detail in the mids, and just enough warmth that they dont sound too analytical and sterile. Any help? thanks in advance!!

I've got the (~USD$30) BossHiFi B3 (16Ω, Ebony wood housing, 1x Dynamic & 1x Balanced Armature, Tethered cable, No Mic), and I really like the warmth and clarity of the sound.
There's now a newer model, the (~USD$40) BossHiFi B3s, which I haven't heard - but at least one regular poster on Head-Fi has got them, and likes their sound even more than the B3.

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #5,374 of 31,833
Well, well, well

TinAudio T2 users....the body of t2 is inspired from D2 and akg n3003. And driver are dual piston diamond like carbon with measured mechanical Q factors. So bass is tight and textured

Second, try sealing the front vent with micropore rather than shutting it of. This leads to some air to pass, some 2 to 3khz to dampen(well yeah, a very little bit) and some low end to get coupled with main air vibration, extending low end and raising mid bass by some factor...

This increase soundstage and depth perception.

Third, do a fostex te02n final+1 micropore mod.

It goes as follows

Cut circle pieces of micropore tape with puncher, stick directly to mesh on audio canal

Make four holes on side of micropore so the bass can come out.

This irons out treble detail, well 10khz peak

Sounds like shure 846cl but little less detail retrieval

And i mean little less

Start using spinfit twinblade and here goes the iem which sounds like jh layla 2 on steriods

Extends upto 3hz bass now as all mid and high frequency is damped by micropore.

30hz to 9kz flat response

10khz at 3db raise instead of 8db earlier. Gives sparkle and energy to cymbal correctly

After 10khz, less peakier rolloff, making sound smooth and forgiving but also airy

Some high res treble is now coherent to low bass as hr treble is resisted and bass is free flow

Sound like single driver coherency, like p1

Many think, oh treble damped

But not that scene completely, as some treble is damped and a majorly it is diffused, so no heat or energy spots

Longer listening hours are confirmed

Merry christmas

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #5,375 of 31,833
Well, well, well

TinAudio T2 users....the body of t2 is inspired from D2 and akg n3003. And driver are dual piston diamond like carbon with measured mechanical Q factors. So bass is tight and textured

Second, try sealing the front vent with micropore rather than shutting it of. This leads to some air to pass, some 2 to 3khz to dampen(well yeah, a very little bit) and some low end to get coupled with main air vibration, extending low end and raising mid bass by some factor...

This increase soundstage and depth perception.

It goes as follows

Cut circle pieces of micropore tape with puncher, stick directly to mesh on audio canal

Make four holes on side of micropore so the bass can come out.

This irons out treble detail, well 10khz peak

Sounds like shure 846cl but little less detail retrieval

And i mean little less

Start using spinfit twinblade and here goes the iem which sounds like jh layla 2 on steriods

Extends upto 3hz bass now as all mid and high frequency is damped by micropore.

30hz to 9kz flat response

10khz at 3db raise instead of 8db earlier. Gives sparkle and energy to cymbal correctly

After 10khz, less peakier rolloff, making sound smooth and forgiving but also airy

Some high res treble is now coherent to low bass as hr treble is resisted and bass is free flow

Sound like single driver coherency, like p1

Many think, oh treble damped

But not that scene completely, as some treble is damped and a majorly it is diffused, so no heat or energy spots

Longer listening hours are confirmed

Merry christmas

Stuff like this is why I love this site :)

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #5,377 of 31,833
Well @Slater i searched micropore mod and i saw your name....the xiaomi in pro HD...

I didn't know you did it well.....hahaha

And well i m back after the phillips shl3300 mod

After a long time

I am gonna review TinAudio T2 modded

Well, music i review here scabourogh fair from anime shimatsu nani in lossless

Low end- i was able to feel organ pipes harmonic.....it is at 12Hz as per scientist speak of. It is frequency coherent bass rumble in some of the best song which make the song smooth in transition and full in body. Bass heavy iem organ pipes get resonanted making everything congested in slow song...

But it was perfect here. Well on par to shure 846cl.

What we call true subwoofer response and not some crappy bass. Subwoofer response means that it makes you feel song while remaining flat(well U shape rather than V). Bass rises from 38Hz here rather than 400Hz on some bass iem. Shure rises from 22Hz. It roll of at 5Hz slowly and steeply from 2Hz to inaudible 1Hz.

Bass- tight as it can go, little slower than BA driver. Its like dual piston magnet woofer. It gives well texture and it is a little boosted (2dB) from range. It gives me a full sound feeling and give a sense of bass depth. Shure is only 1dB boosted but is flater and faster.

Mids- love, love and love. Shure is recessed by 2dB to give bass some emphases, not here. This is true electrostatic style mid, fast as it can possibly can. Perftect PRaT(pace, rhythm and timing).

Treble- well smooth, something between ex1000 and mdr 7550 but with a resolution. Tending toward ex1000 but sounds comfortable with bad sources

Soundstage- way bigger than Havi B3 mk1 and kz zs5v1. Rounded stage, equal width, height and depth but lacks too the hologhraphic shure 846. Well by 30% to my ears.

Soundscape- not mentioned commonly in headphone or iem review, well you can listen to binaural recording and get sounds above your head. I would say dobly atmos passed and not jh layla 2 score nearby. T2 mod gives huge 360 degree sound but still lack to jh audio layla but smashed shure out of party.

Image: good, well in 300$ iem realm but micropore hollows up the treble a bit. So it is like mee audio p1 sort. Well better, its not super hollow like p1 but the centre treble lacks authority and instruments gets a little back...i mean little and you can still distinguish between instruments well in complex track

Spinfit twinblade cp240

Hahahahhahahhahahhahahaha

Image improved drastically, treble became airy and mid bass lost some authority.

Isolation made sound even better

Sounds a little softer allover frequency but man this nailed it

Well now i am thinking of making custom cable myself with my own hard testing...not snake oil and crap.

I will make 4 quad braid of 7N neotech silver litz and then make a quad braid of these braids(total 16 wires)

All wire in parralel will drop resistance by division of 4

This will make impedance drop from wire and some critical damping will be achieved due to 7N silver. Treble will gain authority getting my image even better(song imaging harmonic lies in bass and treble, instrument lies from 100hz to 1.2khz.....and cymbal structure in 4khz). Well litz wire in quad braid will get bass timing perfect.

Will add attenuator circuitry or impedance control to get myself 32ohm critical matching so sound gets well structured and make it balanced 4pin. Will also make adapters

Buahahhahahahahahhahahaha i have legend iem.

JH layla II: still have bigger soundscape than T2 modded, livelier sound. It sounds neutral but vivid in saturation. Its like vibrance more than saturation

Shure se846: the best engineered iem. Just treble is little dull doesnt mean its conservative. Its true response, like what is reality. T2 came close, but dynamic cant match quickness of sonion BA. Bass is very true and textured.

Well remove micropore mod if you love foam.

Sounds very similar to normal tips with micropore but treble tending toward mdr 7550.

Twinblade is unrivalled here.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,378 of 31,833
TinAudio T2 users....Second, try sealing the front vent with micropore rather than shutting it of.

I tried it. Adds body including a muddy bass. Didn't do it for me.

It goes as follows

Make four holes on side of micropore so the bass can come out. Sounds like shure 846cl but little less detail retrieval

Tried that, too (using rubber tips). Added a veil, a muddy bass, and it made it harder to drive. To me another crippling of a neutrally tuned earphone.

The mod worked with the SEAHF AWK 009: tamed down the treble and added a muddy bass. But better a muddy bass than a headache. Mod worked better with the Boarseman CX98 and the UiiSii HM7. All of these sound approximately the same now.

I'd use micropore tape only for sound emergencies.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #5,380 of 31,833
@Otto Motor

You have to make hole in centre. And three on side... Your micropore seems thick.

Making hole on centre makes sure treble is coming out.

Sorry i didnt mentioned

AND MICROPORE ON VENT, DONT SEAL IT. AND IF YOUR MICROPORE IS THICK, THEN PUNCTURE A HOLE ON VENT WITH YOUR NEEDLE.

And muddy bass is solved.

Well i want to damp 10khz treble....i am very sorry

I wish i could upload pics but i screwed my cam.

Make hole on centre.

Or let me give you other idea then.

Let it be this way, vent sealed with micropore, make a small vent

Equalise 2khz to 3khz, 10khz a little down. 2dB i guess.

Do this.

You are done

Or get hifiman filter or some cloth, earwax protector stuff from comply.

This will do

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #5,381 of 31,833
Well you are right @Otto Motor

I have my sis micropore now. And it does make crap. But mine was thin, dont know how, or why.

My theory came from pop filter
A pop filter or pop shield is a noise protection filter for microphones, typically used in a recording studio. It serves to reduce or eliminate 'popping' sounds caused by the mechanical impact of fast moving air on the microphone during recorded speech and singing.

So if our mouth is speaker and microphone to be ear, it reduces 3rd harmonic popping and even acoustically transparent pop filter helps treble diffuse making a diffuse heatspot for natural listening

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,383 of 31,833
@Otto Motor

...AND MICROPORE ON VENT, DONT SEAL IT. AND IF YOUR MICROPORE IS THICK, THEN PUNCTURE A HOLE ON VENT WITH YOUR NEEDLE.
Maybe we go a step back.

1. What micropore tape do you use? I got mine from a friend and don't know which kind it is.
2. What are Hifiman filters?

My problem is getting a visible hole in that tape. It appears to be self re-sealing. I used a large safety pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back