CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,041 of 31,833
After a couple of weeks on CHIFI i feel ehmm disappointed

I put on auction/sale:
*KZ ZS5 with silver cable
* KZ ZS3
* BOSShifi B3

NOTHING COMPARES TO MY ON EAR BEYERDYNAMIC T51i. MY EXPECTATIONS WHERE TOO HIGH. TIME TO CLOSE THIS SEARCH. AND BE GRATEFULL OF MY T51i!!!!!

keeper Einsear T2 ..well i might keep these as a backup , they are the most surprising earphones i had under 10 dollar !

chinese headfi can't just compete with established good brands (Beyer, Grado, Shure...)...let's just stop dreaming...boys n girls

a trip song to my bed...

Your like a real pain in they ass....and surely know it.
But, its good you stop the search....wich never try the 50-150$ IEM crownd like LZ, Musicmaker, TZ etc.
You say it your expectation was TOO high, but what is utterly stooooooopid is to compare fullsize headphone with IEM.
Oh, and don't put bad music on this thread, enjoy it with your T51i instead LOL (did you got this track out of 90's rave sooooo bad)

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,042 of 31,833
This raises another old question: how can apples and oranges be compared, in this case iems and headphones. Which one sounds better, and which one offers a better value?

An example: The Sennheiser ie800 are USD $800 and the Sennheiser HD600 are USD $400. The HD600 are probably the better sounding choice. This, generalized, would mean, headphones are generally better sounding for the money, and they are cheaper by at least a factor of 1:2.

I consulted an expert. He told me that there is lots of discussion out there. But he thinks, iems are more direct and therefore ultimately better, and they also offer better value. I was surprised.

Looking at our < $100 Chifi segment, there are tons of interesting iems but I have yet to hear of a favourably reviewed headphone. What does this tell us?

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #5,043 of 31,833
Looking at our < $100 Chifi segment, there are tons of interesting iems but I have yet to hear of a favourably reviewed headphone. What does this tell us?

FiiO Ex1 and FiiO F5 are significantly below $100 and are both favorably reviewed and justifiably so IMO. I am sure there are others.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #5,044 of 31,833
This raises another old question: how can apples and oranges be compared, in this case iems and headphones. Which one sounds better, and which one offers a better value?

An example: The Sennheiser ie800 are USD $800 and the Sennheiser HD600 are USD $400. The HD600 are probably the better sounding choice. This, generalized, would mean, headphones are generally better sounding for the money, and they are cheaper by at least a factor of 1:2.

I consulted an expert. He told me that there is lots of discussion out there. But he thinks, iems are more direct and therefore ultimately better, and they also offer better value. I was surprised.

I think It tell us that iem technology(capital, researche) are more afordable to chineses manufactures make profit on them. And Just that. Also, less material, Space required, logistics costs. Or they Just did'nt explore the market yet. Imagine, 2 years from now, we got a chinese headphone from 30$ that sounds better than ath-m50x ? It Would be amazing. Cause we didn't reach that level yet, or we ?

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #5,045 of 31,833

i prefer headphones overall. i have had my nad viso hp50's for a couple of years, and i've only heard just a few earphones that sounded better. isolation, sound signature, details, instrument separation, imaging are all excellent on the hp50's, and it's a relatively cheap pair of headphones (i got them around $120 used). 64 audio u18 were considerably better, but some earphones in the same price range or even more expensive ones (around the $500 mark) cannot match them.

cheap iem's might be terrific, though. you can't really get any great sounding headphones below $50, while there are countless examples of nice iem's below $50. so bang for your buck also depends on the budget you're about to spend, i guess.

btw i prefer iem's for their comfort and intimacy. i cannot wear the hp50's in the bed before sleeping, and iem's are more convenient on the go, too. headphones and iem's nicely complete each other, i guess.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #5,046 of 31,833
I think It tell us that iem technology(capital, researche) are more afordable to chineses manufactures make profit on them. And Just that. Also, less material, Space required, logistics costs. Or they Just did'nt explore the market yet. Imagine, 2 years from now, we got a chinese headphone from 30$ that sounds better than ath-m50x ? It Would be amazing. Cause we didn't reach that level yet, or we ?
Yes, IEMS are easier to ship, easier to handle in certain situations (bed, airplane)...and, after extensive travelling to China, I recognized a certain mentality that you pay for size: big headphones would cost more (because more materials used) than small earphones independent of production cost. Therefore, there may be more interest in developing IEMS in China than headphones for the overseas market.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #5,047 of 31,833
9B2448C7-51D0-46B2-B4BA-BB7A4A6B6597.jpeg

Look what came

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #5,048 of 31,833
I want to give a pair of IEM headphones as a gift to a friend. He mainly listens to pop/rock, indie (Chet Faker, Alt-J...) and classical music. I've gone for the KS ZS3, but I'm rethinking my choice now. Any (cheap) recommendations?

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #5,050 of 31,833
@snip3r77 Do they sound as good as they look?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #5,052 of 31,833
I want to give a pair of IEM headphones as a gift to a friend. He mainly listens to pop/rock, indie (Chet Faker, Alt-J...) and classical music. I've gone for the KS ZS3, but I'm rethinking my choice now. Any (cheap) recommendations?
<$10: Fonge/QKZ W1 Pro, KZ HDS1, KZ ATR
$10-20: Swing ie800, Boarsemen KR-25D, DZAT DF-10, Xiaomi Piston 3
$20-40: Brainwavz B100
$50: Tin Audio T2

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #5,053 of 31,833
<$10: Fonge/QKZ W1 Pro, KZ HDS1, KZ ATR
$10-20: Swing ie800, Boarsemen KR-25D, DZAT DF-10, Xiaomi Piston 3
$20-40: Brainwavz B100
$50: Tin Audio T2

i also have the KZ ZS5 (first generation) and find them not well balanced...same with the KS3. I don't use them for classical music at all. Here the Tin Audio T2 or the Brainwavz or even the Swing ie800 excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back