CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5,026 of 31,833
I'd like to say a few words on my philosophy as a newbie here.

First, I love Sennheiser - and for two reasons. Around 1980 I had a cheap model of theirs with yellow earpads, which were fabulous. And Sennheiser is a great and very competent company from lower Saxony in Germany, near one of the places I used to live. I have always been looking for the ultimate headphone: which means one close to perfect independent of price - but not outrageously expensive. I may have found exactly that in the HD 600.

10 years ago, when earphones above $50 started to appear ("earphones better than the ones that came with your mobile phone"), I grabbed the V-Moda Vibes (at a proud USD $139 - still don't know what to think of them). Next, I reverted to Sennheiser and got the CX-300 Precision Mk II - too muddy for many. And after a hiatus of a few years, I found the Sennheiser Momentum in-ear - highly praised but disappointing for me as the mids disappeared at the bottom of the "V". I then found the CX 5.00 on sale which have the same drivers as the Momentum and were equally disappointing. This was followed by another highly lauded model: Soundmagic E10C (quite frankly, the people at Whathifi must have been drunk: another mud slinger).

These disappointments started my listening spree in the budget area: Rock Zircon (horrible to my ears, great to many), tons of KZ models, Tennmak, VJJB, Joyroom, UiiSii, DZAT, Einsear, Boarseman, Plextone, Urbanfun, Takstar etc. etc. Unfortunately, Canada Post was not up at all to the task of timely delivery (an example: stuff arrived in Vancouver 5 days after ordering, and it took another 148 days on Canadian soil for delivery to Calgary). This catapulted me onto CTV television, who interviewed me in my living room on the shortcomings of the postal service.

Back to the brandname earphones: the most expensive inears I have are the B&W C5 Series 2, which I got on frequent-flyer points. I was actually considering the Brainwawvz B400, but I am generally afraid of ripping fragile earphones apart in some airplane or lose them on the bus. If the cheap ones break, the loss is smaller. The next reason why I went for the cheaper B100 is because a $200 earphone like the B400 is another bus stop: next you want the $400 and $800 earphone. My general logic here: at the time my Focal Sphear and B&W C5 Series 2 were the only earphone model of each company. And since both are reputable headphone producers, their only earphone model can't be bad.

Downside of all of the above: the cheap crap adds up and I could have had a few expensive earphones instead - but with the learning curve missing.

Before the in-ears, I indulged myself with some nice headphones whenever the price was right: the ever so solid Beyerdynamic Custom Pro (another great German company), the fantastic NAD Viso HP50 (best headphone I could think of just to run with a phone; also a great Canadian company), some AKGs and so on. My biggest oddity are the bulky "Teufel Massive Reloaded".

What I would still like to have: headphones by Grado and Focal. But, as they say "instant gratification is for dummies". And I would like to see Sennheiser produce some non "v"-shaped, affordable earphones.

And the ever expanding and improving Chifi market keeps on offering excellent stuff at skyrocketing price points.

The future is bright!

Nice presentation, welcome in risky Chifi world, and stay way from V shaped IEM, Zircon is a big exemple of that, I give it to my sista wich listen only to rap: this is quite the perfect crownd for this IEM. Perhaps you should try 50-100$ IEM and stop with the sub-50 one...I think lot of contenders can be insteresting for your ears, a very neutral IEM I find is the PMV A01 MK2, perfect for smarthphone as well and any source cause they are the must easy to drive IEM I got. For headphones the ISK HF2010 are quite impressive and ultra cheap, Superlux will disapoint you by there cheap construction and perhaps too bright sound. I adore Grado, but feel all the plastic models are too cheap for the price (aka, rattling noise cause of plastic grill with ALL of them Sr60, Alessandro and sr80), and, anothert time, the cable will ALWAYS broke too (even happen with my GS1000 that I have to sold cause repair was too expensive....its like selling my wife or mother=not cool). What I think about Sennheiser is mixed, they got the great drivers but not the great construction, for this, you need going hd600 and upper in price range...and the step is quite big! I'm against ultra cheaply made crap (not cool for environment!), and the last 30 years see this market grow (this is why we can find Sennheiser 70's model still working perfecly but rarely 90's-2000's ones). This is where china make his revange (some brands) and give better construction as well as sound value, I feel it will put pressure to unapolegical big brand and calm a little the impenitent luxury market (not sure about that....its just about symbolic buy must of time). The problem with chifi is the market is on fire for the better and the worst, but perhaps you should try big boys like LZ A3 or A4 and musicmaker IEM or earbuds....some brand are serious manufacturer, other are cloning master, other are look-at-me crap.

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #5,027 of 31,833
So, i'm a audio sicko, and after ordering Bossfi Blon B8 Headphone (that I should receive tommorow) a headfier insert an headphone obsession in my head: the TAKSTAR PRO82!

As they were about 100$....I did not press buy button, but I finally find them for 63$ here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...stereo-PC-recording-and-game/32841397637.html

And guess what? I will give them a try. They look so nice and sound promise are very very HIGH!

Will share impression....and even write a full review of them if they REALLY excite me:):):)

Thanks to your post!
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Takstar pro 82.
After i got with the Toneking Nine Tail my new iem star, i'm curious if the same thing happens with the pro 82 concerning overear.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #5,028 of 31,833
The problem with chifi is the market is on fire for the better and the worst....some brand are serious manufacturer, other are cloning master, other are look-at-me crap.

Such a true statement! Well said Nymphonomaniac!

Dec 8, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #5,029 of 31,833
Can someone suggest sub $100 headphones with same sound signature as JVC ha s500?I own it and I think this is probably the best sub $100 headphone.I sold my sennheiser hd 598se because they sounded lifeless compared to these I don't know why these are not popular.

How about another HA S500? They're about $33 on Amazon US.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5,030 of 31,833
Such a true statement! Well said Nymphonomaniac!

I bought mine according to sound quality. Vivo xe800 apparently has most of the internals of the vsonics, the KZ 5 copied the campfire (horrible idea btw...terribly angular), the sinwg IE800 are copies of the s Sennheiser...

It's a stupid trend that I base on lazy research and bad marketing. Most people see copies as a negative.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #5,031 of 31,833
After a couple of weeks on CHIFI i feel ehmm disappointed

I put on auction/sale:
*KZ ZS5 with silver cable
* KZ ZS3
* BOSShifi B3

NOTHING COMPARES TO MY ON EAR BEYERDYNAMIC T51i. MY EXPECTATIONS WHERE TOO HIGH. TIME TO CLOSE THIS SEARCH. AND BE GRATEFULL OF MY T51i!!!!!

keeper Einsear T2 ..well i might keep these as a backup , they are the most surprising earphones i had under 10 dollar !

chinese headfi can't just compete with established good brands (Beyer, Grado, Shure...)...let's just stop dreaming...boys n girls

a trip song to my bed...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #5,032 of 31,833
After a couple of weeks on CHIFI i feel ehmm disappointed

I put on auction/sale:
*KZ ZS5 with silver cable
* KZ ZS3
* BOSShifi B3

NOTHING COMPARES TO MY ON EAR BEYERDYNAMIC T51i. MY EXPECTATIONS WHERE TOO HIGH. TIME TO CLOSE THIS SEARCH. AND BE GRATEFULL OF MY T51i!!!!!

keeper Einsear T2 ..well i might keep these as a backup , they are the most surprising earphones i had under 10 dollar !

chinese headfi can't just compete with established good brands (Beyer, Grado, Shure...)...let's just stop dreaming...boys n girls

a trip song to my bed...

My first shipment of Chifi a year ago were the T2 and the DZAT DF-10. Both are good earphones with the DZAT being slightly better. This first batch was pretty much the best in that price segment. I also liked the Fonge/QKZ W1 Pro for their good mids and neutral tuning at USD $6.50.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #5,033 of 31,833
My first shipment of Chifi a year ago were the T2 and the DZAT DF-10. Both are good earphones with the DZAT being slightly better. This first batch was pretty much the best in that price segment. I also liked the Fonge/QKZ W1 Pro for their good mids and neutral tuning at USD $6.50.
You rag on the ZS5 for being intensely colored with recessed mids and those are your picks for good mids and neutrality... interesting.

What was it Skullophile was just saying to me... I'm glad you've found something you can enjoy. :wink:

EDIT: I feel like the above comes off as rather glib, and that wasn't really my intent... I really do think it's just interesting, albeit a touch confusing to me. Neutral is an over-used term in this hobby though - if it wasn't specifically tuned to fit a chosen neutral target curve, or doesn't hit that curve with decent accurately, it's not neutral in my book, but I suppose I'm just picky like that. :shrug: I don't even like neutral tuning, so I'm not sure why I even feel the need to point this out... :p

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #5,034 of 31,833
I tested out a nice closed audiotechnica today (200-300 usd range). Definitely a smoother and larger sound stage...but compared to an awesome 15eu IEM, I was not convinced in the added value.

I'll be buying a takstar pro 82 and a nice 100eu IEM in the near future, but the KZ ZS5 will be following my ass on transit =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #5,035 of 31,833
You rag on the ZS5 for being intensely colored with recessed mids and those are your picks for good mids and neutrality... interesting.

What was it Skullophile was just saying to me... I'm glad you've found something you can enjoy. :wink:

EDIT: I feel like the above comes off as rather glib, and that wasn't really my intent... I really do think it's just interesting, albeit a touch confusing to me. Neutral is an over-used term in this hobby though - if it wasn't specifically tuned to fit a chosen neutral target curve, or doesn't hit that curve with decent accurately, it's not neutral in my book, but I suppose I'm just picky like that. :shrug: I don't even like neutral tuning, so I'm not sure why I even feel the need to point this out... :p

You misunderstood. I didn't claim the DZAT or Einsear were neutral, they are v-shaped but good for their money. The Fonge are more leaning towards neutral. I also didn't say the ZS5 were intensely coloured, I just said they have a boomy bass and tinny mids. The difference between the DZAT/Einsear and the ZS5: I paid three times as much for the letter, therefore I was expecting more. But I prefer the DZAT over the ZS5 any day: they have more coherence.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #5,036 of 31,833
@stryed

As said, its horses for courses. The energy levels that a headphone can deliver are vastly different from what a IEM / earbud / earphone can achieve. The overall audio impact is different. Can't really compare directly at all.

If anyone wants to compare, then compare to the same category of equipment.

But I do agree, for most popular music, the ZS5 and ZS6 renders them very well, and makes for very enjoyable listening. Regardless of price comparisons.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #5,037 of 31,833
You misunderstood. I didn't claim the DZAT or Einsear were neutral, they are v-shaped but good for their money. The Fonge are more leaning towards neutral. I also didn't say the ZS5 were intensely coloured, I just said they have a boomy bass and tinny mids. The difference between the DZAT/Einsear and the ZS5: I paid three times as much for the letter, therefore I was expecting more. But I prefer the DZAT over the ZS5 any day: they have more coherence.
Going to try avoiding too much derailment, but thanks - you're right, I did misunderstand, and that makes a lot more sense to me. :wink:

I'd toss this out there though: ZS5 are the victim of an unfortunately placed front volume vent that can cause bass response to vary widely from wearer to wearer and from fit and tips... and I don't like their sound with taped vents, but with the fit I get normally, I'm a fan. If you're amenable to it, I'd be interested in your take on a quick sanity check of that idea: if you tape the in-facing vents on them, in an unblocked setting it produces a +6dB gain in sub-bass roughly. Do you hear that upon taping those vents, or does it change far less than that to your ear?

I feel like since KZ has an entire thread of its own, maybe we're getting a bit too into the ZS5, but I feel the need to point out that listening volume probably comes into play too - a U-shaped sig is going to tend towards more balanced sounding at lower volumes, and towards more V-shaped sounding at higher volumes.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #5,040 of 31,833
I didn't care for the Einsear T2. The sound was V-shaped; the mids and upper mids were non-existent or muddy if there were any. The soundstage was really small. All of this was tested with some Comply tips and also the stock ones. It was only $10 so lesson learned.

So a change was in order. I pictured those treble freqs getting stopped by the mesh in the nozzles and I decided to remove them. It "cleared up" the midrange and treble considerably. The soundstage was improved, too. I consider my modded Einsear T2 as balanced, with the bass as it was before. The treble may be regarded as slightly sibilant by others, but I personally don't have problems with sibilance. YMMV

Do I worry about the nozzles getting clogged? No, since I've never had a build up on other pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back