CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4,773 of 31,833
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #4,775 of 31,833
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,776 of 31,833
First impression of the KZ ZS5 : looks very promising!
Seems quite close to the T51i. Defenitly a step up if you compare to the very good Einsear T2

Need more time of course. So far very very nice!!
Will up date my impressions in some days

Did You get v1 or v2 version of ZS5? What is Your source chain?

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,777 of 31,833
69 dollar TFZ King arrived today. Pretty pleased. The connector prongs could be a little shorter (they stick out a little bit) but it doesn't affect function and they're a little more comfy than I expected (I didn't expect much, as far as comfort). They sound great, and are driven beyond adequately by my phone, which was what I was after. For under 70 dollars (thanks, Black Friday) I think it would be hard to complain too much.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,778 of 31,833
69 dollar TFZ King arrived today. Pretty pleased. The connector prongs could be a little shorter (they stick out a little bit) but it doesn't affect function and they're a little more comfy than I expected (I didn't expect much, as far as comfort). They sound great, and are driven beyond adequately by my phone, which was what I was after. For under 70 dollars (thanks, Black Friday) I think it would be hard to complain too much.

Neither of my TFZ has connector sticking out. You sure that they are in all the way?

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4,779 of 31,833
Yes, positive. I think it's a quirk of the cable, with the prongs being slightly too long. I have the silver one, which comes with a braided black cable. It's not an issue, and the cable will probably be replaced eventually anyway. No problem with function.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #4,780 of 31,833
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #4,782 of 31,833
Ok so, I was listening to music when suddenly the left side of the einsear t2 went super quiet. Audio still went through, but it was like 1/10th of the right side's volume.
Since I've had similar issue in the past with xiaomi piston 2 and xiaomi hybrid, I removed the tip and removed the grid with a needle. Now it works perfectly fine. However, I found that the left side was now more clear and a bit louder, so I did the same to the right side and I can definitely notice an improvement in loudness and clarity.

Anyone tried removing the grid of their earbuds in the past? If so, did you notice any change? I'm curious.

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #4,783 of 31,833
Ok so, I was listening to music when suddenly the left side of the einsear t2 went super quiet. Audio still went through, but it was like 1/10th of the right side's volume.
Since I've had similar issue in the past with xiaomi piston 2 and xiaomi hybrid, I removed the tip and removed the grid with a needle. Now it works perfectly fine. However, I found that the left side was now more clear and a bit louder, so I did the same to the right side and I can definitely notice an improvement in loudness and clarity.

Anyone tried removing the grid of their earbuds in the past? If so, did you notice any change? I'm curious.

I remove mine all of the time.

It almost always results in a clarity improvement at a minimum.

Sometimes it adds some brightness. Often it reduces veiled sound. And sometimes, depending on the material of the mesh (nylon/stainless sandwich, nylon, etc), it changes the sound in other ways.

For example, when there is a nylon screen involved, the bass is usually boosted to one degree or another. So usually, removing the nylon and running with no screen (or removing nylon and replacing it with plain stainless mesh) will reduce the sub-bass and/or reduce bass bloat, or some combination of the 2. Likewise, adding a nylon mesh in place of plain stainless mesh can boost sub-bass.

Obviously, it varies from IEM to IEM, so the above is just general observations. The point is that manipulation of the mesh screens can be used as an effective tuning tool (both by the factory and by the end user).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #4,784 of 31,833

In addition to what @Slater shared about materials, I'd just toss this out there: ear wax... can make just cleaning or replacing used screens a huge difference :p

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #4,785 of 31,833
Just received my SVARA Reds.
They seem REALLY well built and are extremely comfortable and easy to fit.
Right out the box, the silicone tips were amazing and provided really good seal. Better seal than the SpinFit Tips that I tried on them, in fact. But I'm leaving the SpinFit's on for a few days to decide if i'm going back to stock.

Initial impressions 5 min ear-time: Sexy bass. Warm. Very fun to listen to. I'm liking them more than the ZS6 immediately. But that may change, who knows? Time will tell.

Some pictures for you guys:

tnAYxKj.jpg

Pxn2Y6s.jpg

TobUC3V.jpg

QY5GX7g.jpg

8thCXwK.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back