CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,601 of 31,867
I am paranoid that I'm going to be blacklisted due to too many returns.

At what point does that happen?

Speaking of Amazon returns, is it actually legal for them to take back iems? I notice there are never any used ones for sale because I do not think they can sell them after they have been in someone's ears. Hygiene laws. But I would bet if they look like they could be new they will pass them off as new. Ewww .

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,602 of 31,867
Amazon does that? Blacklists people?

Most definitely, with too many returns.

And once you're blacklisted, you're done. Even if you sign up with a different account, different credit card, etc. Possibly if you use a different ADDRESS it might work, but you would need to use someone else's name and a credit card in someone else's name too.

Basically it's to stop people from using Amazon as a warranty return service - buying a new widget, putting your broken widget in place of the new widget, and sending it back. Or the "renters", who just buy stuff, use it, and then return it within the 30 days.

I worked at a fine jewelry store many years ago, and we had "renters" from time to time who would buy $50k worth of jewelry on a Friday, then come back and return it on Monday for a full refund after saying they "changed their mind". Most likely they wore it to a party or wedding (or were even the bride perhaps). Since it only had a few hours of use on it, it did not look worn enough to ding them on it, so we had to take it back in the spirit of "good customer service".

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,603 of 31,867
At what point does that happen?

Speaking of Amazon returns, is it actually legal for them to take back iems? I notice there are never any used ones for sale because I do not think they can sell them after they have been in someone's ears. Hygiene laws. But I would bet if they look like they could be new they will pass them off as new. Ewww .

No clue what the threshold is, but I certainly don't want to find out.

As far as returned gear, I see Amazon Warehouse ones all the time.

In fact, when I bought my SE-CH9T, there was also an "open box return" available in the Amazon Warehouse section.

I've scored some really sweet headphone deals in Amazon Warehouse. Usually it's just the external package that's damaged. But any time I buy a used set of headphones I just wipe everything down with alcohol (and if it's an IEM I also ditch all of the tips & replace the mesh screens with new). My ears haven't fallen off yet, so I must be disinfecting them effectively.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,604 of 31,867
Basically it's to stop people from using Amazon as a warranty return service - buying a new widget, putting your broken widget in place of the new widget, and sending it back.
The only person I know personally who's been blacklisted did this frequently with broken items acquired off eBay and resold everything.

So I don't know just how abusive you have to be to get blacklisted, but he was clearly way over the line :wink:

Oh, and he's tried every way of getting around it you listed and being respectable afterwards - Amazon was absolutely merciless.
He has to use a third party agent for anything Amazon related now.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #3,605 of 31,867
Most definitely, with too many returns.

And once you're blacklisted, you're done. Even if you sign up with a different account, different credit card, etc. Possibly if you use a different ADDRESS it might work, but you would need to use someone else's name and a credit card in someone else's name too.

Basically it's to stop people from using Amazon as a warranty return service - buying a new widget, putting your broken widget in place of the new widget, and sending it back. Or the "renters", who just buy stuff, use it, and then return it within the 30 days.

I used to work at a fine jewelry store, and we had "renters" from time to time who would buy $50k worth of jewelry on a Friday, then come back and return it on Monday for a full refund after saying they "changed their mind". Most likely they wore it to a party or wedding (or were even the bride perhaps). Since it only had a few hours of use on it, it did not look worn enough to ding them on it, so we had to take it back in the spirit of "good customer service".

Interesting. I actually plan on doing just that with some broken resistance bands I bought from Walmart. To be fair the broken set is from Walmart in the first place so I don't feel terribly guilty about it... :-$

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,606 of 31,867
Interesting. I actually plan on doing just that with some broken resistance bands I bought from Walmart. To be fair the broken set is from Walmart in the first place so I don't feel terribly guilty about it... :-$

Man, please don't be 'that guy'. It's WalMart's responsibility since you got it there - why not just return it to WalMart? They pride themselves on having a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy.

I've returned stuff there (bought there), with no box or receipt, and well out of warranty. And they've taken care of it and made it right. If they don't have the same item anymore for an exchange, they issue a store credit for the full amount.

I don't want to get off-topic - hopefully you get it all squared away.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #3,608 of 31,867
...of course you do...

If I tried that it would be ruined!

Nah, it's really easy - like peeling and sticking a sticker.

I just don't want anyone's funk in my junk.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,610 of 31,867
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #3,611 of 31,867
The problem is all of the ebay ones are shipping from Japan, making returns costly. And if I buy from Amazon ($65) and return, I am paranoid that I'm going to be blacklisted due to too many returns.

Right now, on Amazon US they're $55 (US, Black), $60 (US, Silver), and $65 (Japanese Domestic, Black).

Are there any differences between the US and "Japanese Domestic" models?

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,612 of 31,867
NOTE: This was originally meant for this thread, but I don't think its active anymore so I'll just post it here.

Alright guys here is my honest opinions of all the budget and Chi-fi IEMs I have used, and I have a feeling that many will disagree:

Rock Zircons - Bleh! I don't know why everyone loves these. I love love love the design but hate hate hate the sound. The sub-bass is way too congested, with little breathing room for the mid-bass. Because of this the bass feels very one-dimensional and not at all dynamic. There's also sibilance in the high-mids to low-highs with the upper highs rolled off, making it one of the most artificial highs I've ever heard. Soundstage is also unimpressive with no sense of spatiality.

KZ ED9 - One of the best IEMs I've ever had. Huge massive soundstage that makes everything sound so immersive and 3D. Excellent treble extension with micro-detailed highs. The bass, although relatively quiet, has some very good dynamics to it.

KZ ATR - Again, bleh. Bass in general is pretty minimal and sub-bass is pretty much nonexistent. Treble is rolled off yet harsh. Has a very dark tonality to it which I dislike.

KZ ATE-S - The ATE-S sounds much more superior to the ATR in every way. Better bass extension, super detailed mids, and a more pronounced treble but still in a darkish tone.

UiiSii HM7 - Not my cup of tea. Highs are a bit too exciting and sharp making it sound very sibilant and piercing no matter how I EQ it. Overall not much resolution at all.

Plextone 41M- Again not my cup of tea either. Like the Zircons, the sub-bass is WAY too loud and congested and eats up the mid-bass making the bass sound one-dimensional. Mids are pretty good. The treble is so sharp and piercing that it pretty much feels like everything is screaming at you.

If I were to pick any of the above to be my daily drivers, it would definitely be the ED9 and the ATE-S. Zircons... maybe.

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #3,613 of 31,867
NOTE: This was originally meant for this thread, but I don't think its active anymore so I'll just post it here.

Alright guys here is my honest opinions of all the budget and Chi-fi IEMs I have used, and I have a feeling that many will disagree:

Rock Zircons - Bleh! I don't know why everyone loves these. I love love love the design but hate hate hate the sound. The sub-bass is way too congested, with little breathing room for the mid-bass. Because of this the bass feels very one-dimensional and not at all dynamic. There's also sibilance in the high-mids to low-highs with the upper highs rolled off, making it one of the most artificial highs I've ever heard. Soundstage is also unimpressive with no sense of spatiality.

KZ ED9 - One of the best IEMs I've ever had. Huge massive soundstage that makes everything sound so immersive and 3D. Excellent treble extension with micro-detailed highs. The bass, although relatively quiet, has some very good dynamics to it.

KZ ATR - Again, bleh. Bass in general is pretty minimal and sub-bass is pretty much nonexistent. Treble is rolled off yet harsh. Has a very dark tonality to it which I dislike.

KZ ATE-S - The ATE-S sounds much more superior to the ATR in every way. Better bass extension, super detailed mids, and a more pronounced treble but still in a darkish tone.

UiiSii HM7 - Not my cup of tea. Highs are a bit too exciting and sharp making it sound very sibilant and piercing no matter how I EQ it. Overall not much resolution at all.

Plextone 41M- Again not my cup of tea either. Like the Zircons, the sub-bass is WAY too loud and congested and eats up the mid-bass making the bass sound one-dimensional. Mids are pretty good. The treble is so sharp and piercing that it pretty much feels like everything is screaming at you.

If I were to pick any of the above to be my daily drivers, it would definitely be the ED9 and the ATE-S. Zircons... maybe.

Yay, another nod to the ATE-S! I think it's the best out of all of the ATz series (although I admit I've only heard 2 of the 5 revisions of the ATE model [ATE not ATE-S]).

I agree with you on the ED9 too - it's a real gem, and an absolute no-brainer for $9.

BTW, this is the 1st time I've ever even seen that thread...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back