CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 21, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #30,421 of 31,833
Hello, i have xb90ex but already dead.
Is there any chi-fi can beat xb90ex?

I decide to pick kz zas, or any other alternative better quality than xb90ex?
Can Blon-03 beat xb90ex?
Can new sony xb75ap beat discontinue xb90ex?

I hear about whizzer kylin & tfz no.3,.. is those iem big upgrade to kz zas?
Because my budget on kz zas

Sorry for my bad english

KZ ZES is a cheaper alternative, its 12mm DD providing great, impact bass on par with xb90ex. They share similar retro & organic tuning too, It's not a popular choice as it really needs at least 100hr burn-in in order to make it shine, the difference is night & day after burn-in. I also have a ZAS, it's a bass cannon for sure, but the DD seems dominates everything, the BAs on the other hand not really cohesive to the DD. ZAS doesn't sound smooth to me even after burn-in, change cable or tips.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #30,422 of 31,833

Can Blon-03 beat xb90ex?

Sorry for my bad english
Blon 03 is a good buy coming from xb90ex, both have big tight bass, though Sony goes lower and is more expansive. Blon has more even mids. I don’t really remember Sony’s treble response aside from energy at 5k.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #30,423 of 31,833
Ok, so I sprung for the Truthears. First impressions:

> Jazz, my main genre. Very capable albeit a bit emotionally uninvolving. Too polite, me thinks. I could easily live with them but the Letshuoer S12s have more 'there' there. Subtle but noticeable.

> Next up - R&B. Vocals presented nicely. Groove is right but again, a touch polite but entirely competent.

> Classical: Yep. Great here. Timbres are true and me likey. The tuning fits the bill. Polite works. The extra bump down low pays off with weight and authority which is needed for symphonic music. (I always bemoaned this in my Stax ear-speakers). The Truthears are nicely tuned all the rest of the way. No screechy violins or tinty oboes which is hard to pull off, and for me, show-stoppers. The crescendo of an orchestra at full tilt (tripple forte) is communicated with authority as is a small string ensemble. High praise for these indeed. I think this is their natura habitat.

> Onto the ultimate switch-up: Hard-hitting, straight-up-ghetto Hip-Hop & Rap. Yessir. To borrow a phrase, "whoomp, der it iz". These dig down deep to get the drive right matching their tuning curve and the politeness tames a just a bit of the artificial-ness but lets the impact of the music work the magic. Funny how they work (for me, anyway) on music at totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

> Lastly, Rock. These have some damned good boogey to them for sure. Again, a touch polite but tonally true. Electric guitars sound as they should.

Polite is a theme that runs through the Truthears. Not a bad thing, better than the opposite - shouty, but worth noting. A safe pick for the money with true timbre. I'll be reaching for these for classical and Hip Hop. Damn, that just doesn't sound right...

I used the black foam tips they came with which work nicely. The nozzles were a bit too big for my regular foams but I'm not hurtin'. They seal and that's what counts. These need a good seal to work right IMO.

This IEM thing is addictive...

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #30,424 of 31,833

Can Blon-03 beat xb90ex?

Sorry for my bad english
The higher end KZ IEMs aren't as competitive as their cheaper offerings. Don't fall into the trap of believing that more drivers equals better sound.

The original Moondrop Aria (2021) has good bass and so does the TinHifi T3 plus. Both excellent choices if you want strong, but not overwhelming bass.

The CCA PLA13 has a LOT of bass. Okay for the price but really needs something better than a phone to drive it.

BLON BL-03 can be a problem for fit due to the short nozzle. It also needs tip and cable upgrades which makes it more expensive.

The original CCA CRA is fantastic for bass and worth buying as a spare even if you get something else. KZ EDX Ultra is similar. Neither have muddy bass.

If you want to go cheaper then the CCA CA16 is worth considering over the ZAS.

The new KBEAR Rosefinch is another cheaper option. Initial reports are that, it's a warm tuning with plenty of bass.

whats your budget?

From KZ/CCA house, if you want bass, you could hunt for KZ ESX on the cheap, or CCA PLA13 which is a bit more expensive.
Or you could hunt for SuperTFZ Force1 if you want some bass from TFZ house
TRN TA1Max/ST5 review is pretty positive or KZ ZS10ProX is a bit new but review is kinda good.
Tri Kai is another one that is pretty good with decent bass
All of the above are good suggestions. I have the TRN TA1 Max, and it's great value, with more mid-bass than sub-bass.
KAI was good, but my one has failed. So now I have to ship it back for repair or replacement.

It's getting close to 11/11, you could get a CRA in the meantime and pick up something better during the sale! :L3000:

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #30,425 of 31,833
@keesue I agree a safe tuning but versatile and very enjoyable. Looks great too.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #30,426 of 31,833
As a follow-to my last: The thing with these IEMs is the pronounced bass, which works well with some music, can be overwhelming with others. It all depends on the quality and placement of the bass in the recording. This can be disconcerting; but, when the bass is right, these things shine. Even on Hip-Hop, lousy bass=lousy reproduction. I guess that holds true with all IEMs, so I'll temper my criticism accordingly. As to polite, it can translate into boring. Having listened to them more, I'm more impressed. Call it getting used to them and break in, but I switched to my other IEMs and returned to these. In fairness, the Truthears may not be for everybody but one thing is for certain: They give a pretty honest representation of the music. I'm going to add clinical to polite. I still hold that they are outstanding on classical music and that's saying something.

To be clear, these are super good IEMs; and, with super well recorded material, these IEMs come into their own. I can see why some of the more professional reviewers here had their comments and I agree. Source material is critical indeed...

Cheers

Sep 23, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #30,427 of 31,833
whats your budget?

From KZ/CCA house, if you want bass, you could hunt for KZ ESX on the cheap, or CCA PLA13 which is a bit more expensive.
Or you could hunt for SuperTFZ Force1 if you want some bass from TFZ house
TRN TA1Max/ST5 review is pretty positive or KZ ZS10ProX is a bit new but review is kinda good.
Tri Kai is another one that is pretty good with decent bass
I will buy this ESX after read many positive review,

Also buy kbear rosefinch or kz zs10 pro x and skip ZAS
Which one is the best, kbear or kz zs10?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #30,431 of 31,833
The higher end KZ IEMs aren't as competitive as their cheaper offerings. Don't fall into the trap of believing that more drivers equals better sound.

The original Moondrop Aria (2021) has good bass and so does the TinHifi T3 plus. Both excellent choices if you want strong, but not overwhelming bass.

The CCA PLA13 has a LOT of bass. Okay for the price but really needs something better than a phone to drive it.

BLON BL-03 can be a problem for fit due to the short nozzle. It also needs tip and cable upgrades which makes it more expensive.

The original CCA CRA is fantastic for bass and worth buying as a spare even if you get something else. KZ EDX Ultra is similar. Neither have muddy bass.

The new KBEAR Rosefinch is another cheaper option. Initial reports are that, it's a warm tuning with plenty of bass.

All of the above are good suggestions. I have the TRN TA1 Max, and it's great value, with more mid-bass than sub-bass.
KAI was good, but my one has failed. So now I have to ship it back for repair or replacement.

It's getting close to 11/11, you could get a CRA in the meantime and pick up something better during the sale! :L3000:
Yeah, current KZ "high-end"/flagships arent technical monsters. Maybe they know the limits of cheap hardware and try to tune BAs to deliver a smooth playing. Most of competition in that bracket is just single DD - that also struggle in treble - anyway. I think they just adapt to offer less sibilant BAs as alternative IEMs. TRN, by contrast, at least tries to sell some 1-2 Knowles sometimes (instead of 5+ cheap BAs). But it seems the sub $100 is pushing bright/very analytical to more expensive territories. Even Olina and Heart Mirror are being revised to the warmer side.

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #30,432 of 31,833
i just want to share my impression about the Einsear T2 after a couple of days owning it:
- it really needs a considerable
I know this is years later and the T2 might even be discontinued but I want to give a heads up.
I love the T2 and it's neutral sound, especially after tweaking the FR to the Harman Curve with the Peace app.
Now they sound a lot better, but there's one big problem.
The microphonics are HORRIBLE.
The slightest rub on the cloth coated cable sounds like thunder. And the cable is attached.
It's a shame the makers didn't make a detachable cable.
But you have to realize many budget IEMs back then had permanent cables.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #30,434 of 31,833

It would be interesting seeing people compare the cra+ with the Rosefinch. I read some early reviews with people mentioning how much bass the Rosefinch has.

Here are 2 graphs I found online of both the Cra+ and the Rosefinch.

CCA-CRA-plus-L-R.pngScreenshot_20220926-214203_Foto's~2.png

I'm a noob at reading charts but this seems to indicate the Cra+ actually has more bass then the Rosefinch?

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #30,435 of 31,833
It would be interesting seeing people compare the cra+ with the Rosefinch. I read some early reviews with people mentioning how much bass the Rosefinch has.

Here are 2 graphs I found online of both the Cra+ and the Rosefinch.

I'm a noob at reading charts but this seems to indicate the Cra+ actually has more bass then the Rosefinch?

Hi friend, you can't really compare graphs done by different users, who use different measuring rigs, with different eartips, with different insertion depths and different seals. These 2 graphs are also stretched differently in the axis.

Graphs are ideally compared by the same user with the same rig. They can look extremely different for the same IEM, just by varying a few of the above parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back