CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 30, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #30,347 of 31,833
Your favourite MT300 is likely a piezo tribrid as well (not EST claimed), and also different version of NX7 with the most prominent piezo interpretation, can be a good opportunity to revisit them :)

This type of tribrid looks most capable to me - DD for the lows, BAs for the mid and low treblr, piezo for the last 2-3 octaves.

Piezo is abbreviated differently, often as PZ. While most piezo elements are made of ceramics, there are different piezoelectric materials, e.g. some polymers.
The piezoelectrics are great in fidelity, but the displacement of piezo transducers are just few microns, so some mechanical amplification is needed for the IEM designs or limiting them only to very high frequencies.

I personally found a simple hybrid of one DD and one BA limited to fun V shapes due to the junction of the different drivers. Few BAs are very helpful to smoothen the transition, so 4-5 BAs would work the best.
There are a few neutral tuned hybrids with one or two BAs and a single DD, that perform spectacularly at their respective price points (eg CVJ CSA, ECCI YST-02 and TRI Starsea). A lot of IEMs with higher BA count are also using multiples of the same driver to balance the sound. So an AudioSense T800 is splitting a signal to 2 dual and one quad BA, Driver count does not equate to the complexity of the crossover.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #30,348 of 31,833
Rose Technics QT-9 Mk2s

Hello everyone. I know this set has been reviewed a few times and mentioned here in the past but for what it's worth here is my full review at the link below. A very nice hybrid (1DD x 4 BA) iem for the asking price. Take care everyone

https://www.mobileaudiophile.com/rose-technics-qt-9-mk2s-review/

20220724_092548.jpg

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #30,349 of 31,833
HzSound HeartMirror & Reecho SG-01 OVA finally arrived. I only got to spend around 30mins each today, both using balanced OCC cable & Final E tips. Will update this post as my impressions change.

SG-01 OVA, I don't like it. Obviously upper-midrange/treble focused but lacks clarity. Very easily comes of as sibilant. Bass is more present but I didn't take note of its quality. Congested soundstage as expected from the price

HeartMirror is a breath of fresh air. I really like how clear vocals are and how they pop. Cymbals however don't sound natural to me. I certainly notice the lack of bass but I can still appreciate the overall sound of this set. Somehow less harsh than the former but still fatiguing. Technicalities are impressive for this price - imaging and soundstage are definitely better than the former.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #30,350 of 31,833
There are a few neutral tuned hybrids with one or two BAs and a single DD, that perform spectacularly at their respective price points (eg CVJ CSA, ECCI YST-02 and TRI Starsea). A lot of IEMs with higher BA count are also using multiples of the same driver to balance the sound. So an AudioSense T800 is splitting a signal to 2 dual and one quad BA, Driver count does not equate to the complexity of the crossover.
Yes, CVJ CSA and CSN are excellent and Starsea is one of my favourites.

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #30,352 of 31,833
HzSound HeartMirror & Reecho SG-01 OVA finally arrived. I only got to spend around 30mins each today, both using balanced OCC cable & Final E tips. Will update this post as my impressions change.

SG-01 OVA, I don't like it. Obviously upper-midrange/treble focused but lacks clarity. Very easily comes of as sibilant. Bass is more present but I didn't take note of its quality. Congested soundstage as expected from the price

HeartMirror is a breath of fresh air. I really like how clear vocals are and how they pop. Cymbals however don't sound natural to me. I certainly notice the lack of bass but I can still appreciate the overall sound of this set. Somehow less harsh than the former but still fatiguing. Technicalities are impressive for this price - imaging and soundstage are definitely better than the former.
While I'm not a biggest fan of Heart Mirror myself (taste shifting towards more bass nowadays), I did notice a quite difference playing them with different sources, anything from Laptop, DAC, Bluetooth adapters, and USB-C dangle. Of course they won't suddenly become bass heavy, but fullness of sound changes quite a bit from different sources with good seal.

Also consider vent hole tanchjim filter-mod, does bring up several dbs on the low end. However you might need to change the filters from time to time, as they won't stick forever.

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #30,353 of 31,833
Yes, the MT300 is excellent, some of us here managed to get it for around 60GBP (I was one of the lucky ones). The Dee Tee Six Max is very close in sound though and comes with the superb accessory set including a modular cable. Definitely worth going for.
I was on that batch, only spent a day on them, but decided to move them without leaving a mark. My impression was mixed. They're definitely one of the best from send fer. The resolution was good and bass was bouncy as well. Notes were crisp but just a little hot for me from time to time, and mid range was tad recess in some tracks. Like I said I've tried close to a dozen products from this company and MT300 did stood out, but their tuning might not be the one gets universal praises.

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #30,354 of 31,833
NiceHCK NX7 (with its 3 incremental iterations) uses a DD, 4 BAs and a piezo (7 is due to counting a DD as "2" due to its double membrane - not a common practice), and is around $100.
The DD there is doing most of the job, snd piezo often sounds disjoint, but with some "right recordings", NX7 can have its golden moments.

Alternatively, starting with KZ ZAX, utilizing a more sub-bass focused DD and adding a piezo should be doable under $150.

Will KZ (or another ChiFi company) be willing to do it (and how) is another question.
That being said, hopefully the point I want to get accross is the importance of crossovers and/or tuning.

I'd like to believe Crinacle in his belief that you shouldn't pay an arm and a leg for competent tuning.

And I'd like that to eventually hold true for proper crossovers of the driver.

I remember when Crinacle disclosed his Dioko I believe. Some people were asking for the differences bewteen driver types. To which I objected by wanting to learn how tunning/crossing drivers work.

Many people have pointed me out many tribrids that are under $150. But I'd like to ask:

How many of those listed drivers use for example: DD strictly to extend the bass below what BAs could be capable of and the PZ to do the complete opposite while the BA (or BAs) act as a full range.

I think what gives me hope again is that the Truthear x Crinacle Zero. Well I think that Crinacle confirmed that the 10mm DD is only doing like 160Hz and under while the 7.8mm DD works as a full range. And it's doing this with an asking price of $50.

What Crinacle doesn't show us however and maybe I should have called this out sooner. Is how time-alligned they are. So I'm still a bit skeptical about the actual expertise of the crossover.

Coherence isn't just about giving the drivers their optimal frequency range, but also making sure that drivers' sound waves don't destroy themselves by arriving at your eardrum out of phase.

Hope I'm not speaking alien at this point.

Oh yeah and don't let me forget the importance of eliminating the housing resonances as well. If any part of the IEM's housing rings like a bell at any audible frequency, that could potentially introduce more non-linear distorion, which again. Reduced dynamic range.

Which begs the question of whether IEM companies either brace, polyester fiberfill them. Or may even print acoustic metamaterial into the housing. Or maybe I'm overthinking this and housing only resonate at ultrasonic frequencies already. Most nozzles tell me otherwise however so maybe that may need more attention. Like make the walls of the nozzle extra thick or something like that.

Who knows maybe I'm completely insane if I think ALL of this is possible for under $150 But the aforementioned Zero makes me want to believe that's possible.

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #30,357 of 31,833
That being said, hopefully the point I want to get accross is the importance of crossovers and/or tuning.

I'd like to believe Crinacle in his belief that you shouldn't pay an arm and a leg for competent tuning.

And I'd like that to eventually hold true for proper crossovers of the driver.

I remember when Crinacle disclosed his Dioko I believe. Some people were asking for the differences bewteen driver types. To which I objected by wanting to learn how tunning/crossing drivers work.

Many people have pointed me out many tribrids that are under $150. But I'd like to ask:

How many of those listed drivers use for example: DD strictly to extend the bass below what BAs could be capable of and the PZ to do the complete opposite while the BA (or BAs) act as a full range.

I think what gives me hope again is that the Truthear x Crinacle Zero. Well I think that Crinacle confirmed that the 10mm DD is only doing like 160Hz and under while the 7.8mm DD works as a full range. And it's doing this with an asking price of $50.

What Crinacle doesn't show us however and maybe I should have called this out sooner. Is how time-alligned they are. So I'm still a bit skeptical about the actual expertise of the crossover.

Coherence isn't just about giving the drivers their optimal frequency range, but also making sure that drivers' sound waves don't destroy themselves by arriving at your eardrum out of phase.

Hope I'm not speaking alien at this point.

Oh yeah and don't let me forget the importance of eliminating the housing resonances as well. If any part of the IEM's housing rings like a bell at any audible frequency, that could potentially introduce more non-linear distorion, which again. Reduced dynamic range.

Which begs the question of whether IEM companies either brace, polyester fiberfill them. Or may even print acoustic metamaterial into the housing. Or maybe I'm overthinking this and housing only resonate at ultrasonic frequencies already. Most nozzles tell me otherwise however so maybe that may need more attention. Like make the walls of the nozzle extra thick or something like that.

Who knows maybe I'm completely insane if I think ALL of this is possible for under $150 But the aforementioned Zero makes me want to believe that's possible.
Remember that 3d printed shells allows separate sound guides for each driver. Before that became routine, drivers had to be connected (with any filters) through separate tubes to the nozzle. All of that hand assembled, which combined with wiring up all the drivers, must have been a monumental PITA.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #30,358 of 31,833
Are there any generally considered "best for the price" true wireless earbuds that don't sound like trash for under $40? Something like Blon 03, KZ DQ6, Reecho SG-01, HZSound HM, Aria, etc., but true wireless?
Desired sound signature - pretty much Blon 03, give or take (strong sub bass, not overwhelming mid bass, balanced and clear mids, clear high, good details would be great, but no sibilance is extremely (and more) important, non-fatiguing, the bigger the soundstage, the better).
I've never had TWS before, so.. yeah. Any and all opinions are welcome :)

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #30,359 of 31,833
Are there any generally considered "best for the price" true wireless earbuds that don't sound like trash for under $40? Something like Blon 03, KZ DQ6, Reecho SG-01, HZSound HM, Aria, etc., but true wireless?
Desired sound signature - pretty much Blon 03, give or take (strong sub bass, not overwhelming mid bass, balanced and clear mids, clear high, good details would be great, but no sibilance is extremely (and more) important, non-fatiguing, the bigger the soundstage, the better).
I found this website extremely helpful - Scarbir

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #30,360 of 31,833
If you are fine with the second hand market. Galaxy Buds or even Buds+ are really good. I have Buds Pro and it's worth every penny that I give.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back