CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #30,316 of 31,833
Been spending some time with the BQEYZ Topaz. It's a wonderful sounding set with tight bass and a clean presentation. It pairs amazingly well with the Questyle M15. Just some Monday night blues <3 IMO has better note weight than the similarly priced Aria, but Aria has a tad bit better definition(Although I find the Aria to be a little lean than what I prefer tonally I find Topaz to be better).
m15 topaz.jpg

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #30,317 of 31,833
Hello, I come back to you regarding my search for a pair of IEM. Carpet gave me leads based on the music I used to listen to, but not being a sound engineer and a novice in the field, I read the descriptions of the sound of each IEM, I can't imagine if this will suit me. And since IEMs can't be tested, I have only my doubts.
So, I figure if I try to describe what I like to feel when I listen to music, will it be easier to advise me?
I personally play classical guitar and piano (as an amateur, eh) and I like when I listen to a piece of guitar to feel the vibration of the string, its sustain and the emotion to win me over. Same thing for the piano. I also like when I listen to pop, or rock, to be pierced by the beat and the depth of the voices. And I like wide stages, feeling like I'm in the music, rather than just listening to it. Finally, I hate tones that are too cold.
I don't know what it corresponds to in the bass, midrange and treble.
Well, I don't know if you can help me; or guide me? Thanks.
I have a max budget of 400 euros, but maybe it's not necessary to invest so much?

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #30,318 of 31,833
Hello, I come back to you regarding my search for a pair of IEM. Carpet gave me leads based on the music I used to listen to, but not being a sound engineer and a novice in the field, I read the descriptions of the sound of each IEM, I can't imagine if this will suit me. And since IEMs can't be tested, I have only my doubts.
So, I figure if I try to describe what I like to feel when I listen to music, will it be easier to advise me?
I personally play classical guitar and piano (as an amateur, eh) and I like when I listen to a piece of guitar to feel the vibration of the string, its sustain and the emotion to win me over. Same thing for the piano. I also like when I listen to pop, or rock, to be pierced by the beat and the depth of the voices. And I like wide stages, feeling like I'm in the music, rather than just listening to it. Finally, I hate tones that are too cold.
I don't know what it corresponds to in the bass, midrange and treble.
Well, I don't know if you can help me; or guide me? Thanks.
I have a max budget of 400 euros, but maybe it's not necessary to invest so much?
Probably goes without saying as most of my research is on loudspeakers so take ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I SAY AT FACE VALUE. THINK CRITICALLY FOR YOURSELF! (hopefully this doesn't come accross as rude, needed to emphasize the disclaimer)

Do you have a preference target curve. If so you're probably already at least 90% progress.

Mine SEEMS to be Moondrop Variations with about -1.5dB from 4kHz and above.

That being said. It's well over budget unless you can find it at a discount and even then it goes for like €420 on a sale I believe.

If you care about dynamic range however. You want to make sure there's as little ringing as possible, as ringing is your worst foe as far as non-linear distortion goes.

If you can read frequency response graphs, you may want to look for ones that show no spikes accross the range beyond the usual insertion depth resonance usually at 8kHz.

Beyond Moondrop Variations and presumably Crin's own Dusk and also possibly the Etymotic ER2/4. But all I own is the BLON BL-03 which I DON'T recommend anymore. With how fast everything advances it's kind of a relic of the past already.

Can you audition where you live? If so don't quote me on this but you may wanna keep testing each IEM until you can trigger a zen moment. But there's no mention of audition accessibility on your reply so I can't tell for sure.

But as someone who has mostly studied loudspeakers, there's only 3 major parameters I can qualify from a quantifiable source.

Linear distortion: Any deviation from the target response. Much easier on loudspeakers than on headgear as generally on loudspeakers you want dead flat tuning, but as headgear bypass a lot of body interactions you may again want to prepare your own target curve fof this.

Non-linear distorion: Any sound the device produces beyond the fundamental frequency response such as harmonic distortion and cumulative spectral decay. The latter in particular is why the thansducer end of the audio chain is the bottleneck whether is a freebie or the the Elysian annihilator 2021 they all have a mass and therefore can't start/stop on a dime. But you still want as little of it as possible.

Directivity: On loudspeaker it refers to how far off-axis you can step away from the speaker before sound pressure reduces to a certain threshold... Probably N/A in headgear.

Hopefully this isn't too much at once. But this is a general idea of how much I researched before buying what I did.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #30,320 of 31,833
Probably goes without saying as most of my research is on loudspeakers so take ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I SAY AT FACE VALUE. THINK CRITICALLY FOR YOURSELF! (hopefully this doesn't come accross as rude, needed to emphasize the disclaimer)

Do you have a preference target curve. If so you're probably already at least 90% progress.

Mine SEEMS to be Moondrop Variations with about -1.5dB from 4kHz and above.

That being said. It's well over budget unless you can find it at a discount and even then it goes for like €420 on a sale I believe.

If you care about dynamic range however. You want to make sure there's as little ringing as possible, as ringing is your worst foe as far as non-linear distortion goes.

If you can read frequency response graphs, you may want to look for ones that show no spikes accross the range beyond the usual insertion depth resonance usually at 8kHz.

Beyond Moondrop Variations and presumably Crin's own Dusk and also possibly the Etymotic ER2/4. But all I own is the BLON BL-03 which I DON'T recommend anymore. With how fast everything advances it's kind of a relic of the past already.

Can you audition where you live? If so don't quote me on this but you may wanna keep testing each IEM until you can trigger a zen moment. But there's no mention of audition accessibility on your reply so I can't tell for sure.

But as someone who has mostly studied loudspeakers, there's only 3 major parameters I can qualify from a quantifiable source.

Linear distortion: Any deviation from the target response. Much easier on loudspeakers than on headgear as generally on loudspeakers you want dead flat tuning, but as headgear bypass a lot of body interactions you may again want to prepare your own target curve fof this.

Non-linear distorion: Any sound the device produces beyond the fundamental frequency response such as harmonic distortion and cumulative spectral decay. The latter in particular is why the thansducer end of the audio chain is the bottleneck whether is a freebie or the the Elysian annihilator 2021 they all have a mass and therefore can't start/stop on a dime. But you still want as little of it as possible.

Directivity: On loudspeaker it refers to how far off-axis you can step away from the speaker before sound pressure reduces to a certain threshold... Probably N/A in headgear.

Hopefully this isn't too much at once. But this is a general idea of how much I researched before buying what I did.
Thank you very much, Jehl.
I will look for these, and search on video and revews.
I found a video explaining me the different compositions (DD, BA, planar) and effect on sound. Then I will try to understand the curve that I would like to obtain with an IEM. And then choose between your proposals and those of Carpet, or others that I would find during my readings.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #30,321 of 31,833
Once again back down the rabbit hole?
What’s new
Under 75 that’s recommend for an all arounder
Listening to all types of music
And as a bass player not a “bass junky” but as a listener

Listening more to drums and the low end of the music dynamic spectrum
Reecho SG-01 OVA at $50 is a good set, original is $10 cheaper and slightly more bass. Moondrop Aria at $79 is still a good option and you have the choice between original LCP driver with warmer tuning, or the new snow edition with the DLC driver out of the Kanas Pro. Cat's Ear Meow is starting to grow on me at $55 (for the silver version), treble would be too safe for some. All of those are metal shell with good accessories and decent bass but not excessive. YMMV

Edit: ECCI YST-02 are on sale for $75 ATM not exactly bass focused, but one of the best balanced pairs I've heard.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #30,322 of 31,833
Reecho SG-01 OVA at $50 is a good set, original is $10 cheaper and slightly more bass. Moondrop Aria at $79 is still a good option and you have the choice between original LCP driver with warmer tuning, or the new snow edition with the DLC driver out of the Kanas Pro. Cat's Ear Meow is starting to grow on me at $55 (for the silver version), treble would be too safe for some. All of those are metal shell with good accessories and decent bass but not excessive. YMMV

Edit: ECCI YST-02 are on sale for $75 ATM not exactly bass focused, but one of the best balanced pairs I've heard.
I agree about the ova, a very nice set under $50. In fact one of the better iems in that price point. I also have the YST-02 and you are not lying, balanced all the way across the spectrum. Give it some decent power and they scale okay too. After some time I got used to the tuning, not bad at all

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #30,325 of 31,833
What’s new

People seem to like the Dunu Titan and Tripowin Olina. I haven't heard them but am getting an Olina in a trade soon and may post impressions.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #30,326 of 31,833
What’s new

Reecho SG-01 OVA for the full sound
Moondrop Aria (SE) for that sweet mids
Dunu Titan S for fun neutralish sound
Tripowin Olina for attempt to recreate Oxygen on budget with extra treble for better details
--
for bass low end, i think Reecho SG01-OVA is the most recommended now.
or get TruthEar Zero for that Subwoofer-full range dual dd setup

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #30,327 of 31,833
Your wallet has done well these past few months by avoiding Headfi.

Why oh why did you come back??! Now the kidney has to be sold to finance a next IEM!
Haha, I’d previously rationalised my collection down to one IEM for critical listening (final A4000), one IEM for portable use (WF-1000XM4) and one headphone for relaxing on the couch (Porta Pro X) but the itch to try something different came back 😂

So in the fast food department I’ve ordered the KZ ESX. I’m also importing an Acoustune RS1, which I very much look forward to trying!

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #30,328 of 31,833
Haha, I’d previously rationalised my collection down to one IEM for critical listening (final A4000), one IEM for portable use (WF-1000XM4) and one headphone for relaxing on the couch (Porta Pro X) but the itch to try something different came back 😂

So in the fast food department I’ve ordered the KZ ESX. I’m also importing an Acoustune RS1, which I very much look forward to trying!
Interested to hear what you make of ESX. Bought the CRA recently. It's lovely. Perfectly competent but lacks the wow factor of my go to IEM the BA10. I have been alternating them with the Dee tee six. It too is better than the CRA. Those single dynamics just lack separation to my ears. Really tempted by the as16 pro.

Any other hybrids around that mark worth investing in??

Jul 28, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #30,329 of 31,833

i daily ESX for awhile,
i would recommend switching the tips to a widebore like KBear07/AET07
With it, it'll be pretty damn good for the price (i got it for $19).
Its a decent rather BassHead Iem, decent quality bass, mid with decent weight, and rather polite treble
but gonna need that widebore to tame that bass a bit.

CCA Lyra is damn tempting with its closer to warm harman tuning, but i'm currently still more tempted with TruthEar Zero with its woofer-tweeter setup.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #30,330 of 31,833
Interested to hear what you make of ESX. Bought the CRA recently. It's lovely. Perfectly competent but lacks the wow factor of my go to IEM the BA10. I have been alternating them with the Dee tee six. It too is better than the CRA. Those single dynamics just lack separation to my ears. Really tempted by the as16 pro.

Any other hybrids around that mark worth investing in??
BA10 are hard to beat on sound, hopefully AS16 pro will be at the same level.
From your preference - dee tee 6 max comes to mind for you to check out, here all discussions were removed.
I am sure you've checked ZAX and ZSX as competitive hybrids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back