CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 2, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #28,846 of 31,833
KZ ZEX seems to be better at tonality than NRA and that might be the only change from it.
But apparently its enough for BGGAR who didn't particularly like NRA and GK10 to love it and rec it.
Got my ZEX today, first impression is that it focuses more on the lower mids and bass, with different tuning than NRA, which shows brighter highs. Its tuning is somewhat like CA16. I can feel a lot of micro details and good extension with the electro-static driver. Bass is just so so right now, but let see if it can improve after some burn-in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211002-200448.png
    Screenshot_20211002-200448.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #28,847 of 31,833
Nice review 👍

That 8kHz peak is pretty tall! I think that the lower mids could stand to be just a touch thicker as an improvement.

Skunk Baxter's guitar solo on Steely Dan's Boston Rag is a good example I think of why I like these so much. The interlude is around 3:20 before the solo.

Crisp hi hats and solid clean bass when the solo fills in. What's amazing is hearing how distorted the guitar is on overdrive and how clean the rest of the track is. That revealing quality is a big part of why I love these so much.

I agree!

I've eard the song and the interlude you are spaeking.
Baxter is using a guitars with humbukers probably with a compressor and a fuzz maybe boosted with a soft overdrive to may have this sound full of sustain and growl, something like 808 or Clon Centaur.

The NRA is very revealing and give all the track's spaciousness. :)

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #28,848 of 31,833
Got my ZEX today, first impression is that it focuses more on the lower mids and bass, with different tuning than NRA, which shows brighter highs. Its tuning is somewhat like CA16. I can feel a lot of micro details and good extension with the electro-static driver. Bass is just so so right now, but let see if it can improve after some burn-in.
To much EAS (earphone acquisition sindrome) in the research for the holy Graal.

ZEX vs C12

ZAX vs C16

Aria vs Kylin HE01

And Heart Mirror must try!

Help me!!! (or I'll buy them all) 😉😂😂

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #28,849 of 31,833

ZEX vs C12

ZAX vs C16

Aria vs Kylin HE01

Get them all ! :)

Consider also the source.
If you use CX pro 31993 (a great DAC for the money), it may impart a lot of treble character that you describe for NRA.

Did you meant CA16 (C16 is an older all-BA, I know.... CCA totally lost me with "CA24" not C24 - I gave up on them).

For a good taste of all-BAs consider BA10 if you can get under $55 or so.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #28,850 of 31,833
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #28,851 of 31,833

If you use CX pro 31993 (a great DAC for the money), it may impart a lot of treble character that you describe for NRA.

Did you meant CA16 (C16 is an older all-BA, I know.... CCA totally lost me with "CA24" not C24 - I gave up on them).

P. S. Aria may work well with your setup, if you find NRA a bit hot on treble.
OR
Consider getting ve-ery neutral Sonata HD pro.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #28,852 of 31,833

ZEX vs C12

ZAX vs C16

Aria vs Kylin HE01

How can you listen to them all at once :scream:
My advise is never look back, just choose the newer models. :o2smile:
I have the ZAS, which has wider sound-stage and meaty mid than the ZAX.
Aria is a good choice, very gentle tuning with no offensive sounds.

Oct 2, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #28,853 of 31,833
How can you listen to them all at once :scream:
My advise is never look back, just choose the newer models. :o2smile:
I have the ZAS, which has wider sound-stage and meaty mid than the ZAX.
Aria is a good choice, very gentle tuning with no offensive sounds.thank
Thank's countryboyhk.

I like good bass or better a full range extension, as speakers I like the full tower.

As example I love the Melody.

Considering this you say the ZAS Is Better than the ZAX?

CA16 shure PhonoPhi.👍

I've the CS PRO CS46L41 too, more grainy then the CX but more gentle high.

Considering what I've said to countryboyhk which are the difference between the CA16 and BA10?

Maybe could be a good idea release a short list of the very best/selected earphone V/U shaped, neutral, single/multi drivers. The ones all considering top class in the under e. 100 price range.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #28,854 of 31,833
One thing that turned off some people here is that NRA tonality is off or unnatural.
How is ZEXs tonality?
---
Bass and lower mids focus, good micro details and decent extension but still polite treble... Yeah, thats basically what BGGAR preferred sound sig.
A mini CA16... i just get ARIA.. but i might get one of this if its already locally sold in my place.
my wallet...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #28,856 of 31,833
Whay do you listen to again?
Cos' I can't try before buy and I'm trying to safe money as everyone and I think this could help others too.

Opinions by others chatters that have more experience are precious.

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #28,857 of 31,833
Cos' I can't try before buy and I'm trying to safe money as everyone and I think this could help others too.

Opinions by others chatters that have more experience are precious.
I mean what music do you listen to?

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #28,858 of 31,833
I mean what music do you listen to?
Ahhh ok (english Is not my language sorry).

I listen every kind of music from elettronic to classical, rock and blues, hot jazz and progressive, country and bluegrass, techno trance and edm too..

This Is why I'm looking for the best different iems in this tread price range.

In the bounce I've my preferred are in order Melody, ZS10 pro and C10 but I'm looking for something better...more refined if you understand what I mean. 😁

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #28,859 of 31,833
Hi Barusu Lamperouge I'm just ended the burn in of the NRA too...

Confirm it is not a killer iem.

I've changed the tips with foam and the cable with my standard TRN TC 8 core silver plated (the black and silver, a good cable, trasparent with deep bass, for e. 7.50 is coerent with this price iem. If you know some better cables you are welcome)👍

I may say the timbre is correct, drums play realistic, guitars and piano too but in the clear side, maybe lacks a little of body, a int more of warm.

Now I'm really curious about the Heart Mirror....May you compare it with NRA?

GAS GAS more GAS 😉 :)

(Better to use EAS?)😂
For my tastes, Heart Mirror is considerably better than NRA in all departments except bass. The new KZ/CCA lows are quite delicious although it is not as clean as I would like. I'm not much of a cable believer so I can't much on what cables synergize better or not. But, NRA doesn't need any amping to drive them optimally whereas Heart Mirror requires amping to bring out their true quality. NRA is good but I think ZEX will be better and NRA Pro Plus will be even better as this seems like a alpha stage product. Yes, I agree KZ has done better job with timbre with this one. For me, Spiral Dots are perfect for NRA as it balances out everything and makes them versatile for almost all music genres. If someone listens to busy tracks then NRA's incapability to do them justice is very much evident. They're good for pop and modern music. It will suffice many new/casual folks but won't cut it through for folks who are demanding. I'm sure many would like them more than many IEMs but unfortunately I am not someone who would use my NRA for workouts.

Heart Mirror has better technicalities, comfort, overall package and tuning if you prefer bright neutral sound there's nothing like it for $50 or even $100.

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #28,860 of 31,833
For my tastes, Heart Mirror is considerably better than NRA in all departments except bass. The new KZ/CCA lows are quite delicious although it is not as clean as I would like. I'm not much of a cable believer so I can't much on what cables synergize better or not. But, NRA doesn't need any amping to drive them optimally whereas Heart Mirror requires amping to bring out their true quality. NRA is good but I think ZEX will be better and NRA Pro Plus will be even better as this seems like a alpha stage product. Yes, I agree KZ has done better job with timbre with this one. For me, Spiral Dots are perfect for NRA as it balances out everything and makes them versatile for almost all music genres. If someone listens to busy tracks then NRA's incapability to do them justice is very much evident. They're good for pop and modern music. It will suffice many new/casual folks but won't cut it through for folks who are demanding. I'm sure many would like them more than many IEMs but unfortunately I am not someone who would use my NRA for workouts.

Heart Mirror has better technicalities, comfort, overall package and tuning if you prefer bright neutral sound there's nothing like it for $50 or even $100.
Thank's Barusu Lamperouge.

About the cables I may say them act as a crossover or filters and influence the tonality, many technics don't belive in this but my ears and years of experience teach me that is real :wink:

I've put a pure copper cable on the NRA and some post behind I've done a little review.

Anyway the NRA's high are at my ears limit tollerance.

I hope Heart Mirror are neutral but with enough bass and trebles are clear but not so hot.

I know is impossible have the perfect earphone, this is the reason why I'm looking for a limited bounce of iems with the best performances and technicalities to cover different musical genres and moods too at a human price.

(Forget the collect pleasure)
😉😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back