CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 29, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #28,261 of 31,833
The FR graph for the KBEAR Neon (from its AliExpress page) looks a lot like an Etymotic 🤔

I wonder how they compare.
A video I just saw of it says Knowles 29689. So I can only assume that's the ED-29689 that the ER3 and ER4 use...

I think the ER3's some sort of a poor man's ER4 so I guess this'd make the Neon the poor man's ER4^2?

It's also shown with a single flange eartip but I wonder if these'd work best with either a double or triple flange like the Etymotics.

Seems like I wanna give my big brother these for a try, since his right ear seems to outright HATE DD treble. if not maybe my nephew will happily take them anyway.

May 29, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #28,262 of 31,833
Anyone know where to get tips like on the Philips SHE3855, but preferable with a longer stem (or whatever that part that connects to the iem is called)? With most other tips, if I use an iem for ≈8h+ daily, they'll start rubbing my ear and I have to take a ≈1 day break to give my skin some time to heal, but with these tips everything is fine, super soft and comfortable

May 29, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #28,263 of 31,833
The FR graph for the KBEAR Neon (from its AliExpress page) looks a lot like an Etymotic 🤔
1622262082782.png
Indeed...same driver the er4s....it would have been SO cool to have changeable filters like with Ety.
First impression of NEON by Ben Powell is hysterical happyness lol

I will receive my pair soon and sure share first impulsive impressions here!

May 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #28,264 of 31,833
1622262082782.png
I can compare when Neon arrives to ER4.
the full range BA is same one used in Tri Starsea, of which I’m pretty satisfied with smooth transitions. It’s sounded full range BA backed with DD and TRI custom HI for extra details on Starsea.

May 29, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #28,265 of 31,833
I'd bet the Neon won't render the ER4 obsolete due to the latter's uber strict QC. But I wonder if it effectively obsoletes the ER3 as the budget friendly but also not as strict QC ER4.

If that doesn't sound like market disruption material. I don't know what does.

May 29, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #28,266 of 31,833
please dont do insignificant ''unboxing video'' spam here. there enough influencers trying to go pompom girl on headfi.

Fair enough, still better than any BGGAR video though.

May 29, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #28,267 of 31,833
May 31, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #28,269 of 31,833
1622262082782.png

did a rough and dirty photoshop to overlay (match the levels at the mids) the ER4XR FR from squig.link. Looks interesting for sure. I really like my ER4XR, but if this can give me a similar tuning with an easier fit, I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Early impressions from baskingshark looks really promising too. The only reason i don't use the Etys as often is the insertion. Not so much how deep it goes (i actually find them quite comfortable once fully inserted), but it's more of the extra effort require to insert/remove them properly. So unless i know i'm going to be undisturbed for a while, I tend to go for other IEMs since repeated insertion/removal isn't a pleasant experience for me. So this looking promising... :smirk:

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 17.25.31.png

May 31, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #28,270 of 31,833
did a rough and dirty photoshop to overlay (match the levels at the mids) the ER4XR FR from squig.link. Looks interesting for sure. I really like my ER4XR, but if this can give me a similar tuning with an easier fit, I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Early impressions from baskingshark looks really promising too. The only reason i don't use the Etys as often is the insertion. Not so much how deep it goes (i actually find them quite comfortable once fully inserted), but it's more of the extra effort require to insert/remove them properly. So unless i know i'm going to be undisturbed for a while, I tend to go for other IEMs since repeated insertion/removal isn't a pleasant experience for me. So this looking promising... :smirk:

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 17.25.31.png
I think ER4SR is a more direct comparison.

May 31, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #28,273 of 31,833
Please advice me something similar to whizzer he01 for fiio utws3 adapters.
<100$(<200 For better sound). They look great in videos but in hands they feel and look like cheap plastic bijouterie. Bought it and liked their sound signature but will sell.
I’d like to have this sound in the kbear diamond shells)

May 31, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #28,274 of 31,833

My ER3SE is pretty easy to insert with the dual flange tips and I find them more comfortable than the triple flanges too. However I think they change the sound a bit (earlier bass roll-off and a bit more treble).

Looking forward to comparing the Neon with my ER3SE. I also have an impedance adapter to turn the ER3 to an ER4. If the graph accurately represents the Neon with their single flange tips I would be highly impressed!

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #28,275 of 31,833
My ER3SE is pretty easy to insert with the dual flange tips and I find them more comfortable than the triple flanges too. However I think they change the sound a bit (earlier bass roll-off and a bit more treble).

Looking forward to comparing the Neon with my ER3SE. I also have an impedance adapter to turn the ER3 to an ER4. If the graph accurately represents the Neon with their single flange tips I would be highly impressed!
Just want to point out that the "hidden" Adorama deals for Etymotic have both ER3 versions at $69 and both ER4 at $129.

ER2SE (dynamic driver) is $49. Alas, ER2XR, with the bass boost, is still $99. You can try them (don't destroy the package) and return in 30 days for $11 shipping if the (in)famous Ety fit or analytical flatness or shallow soundstage don't suit your ears.

Here's one link, and you can insert the other model numbers in the same formula:
https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailPrice=t.

It looks like Adorama sells the returned ones for an additional knockoff, just $54 for ER3XR
https://www.adorama.com/us 140835...QDwEAQYASABEgJk6_D_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

So Neon still provides some savings if, indeed, it's tuned as well as the ER3 or ER4. But less than you might think. From the shape of the Neon in the photos -- a plastic version of the Ety cylinder -- it looks like it's going to require the same deep insertion as the Etys. I'm hoping the Neon has figured out a way to open up the soundstage a bit--looking forward to reviews.

I, too, love the endless Chi-Fi churn and one-upmanship. But classics have their place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back