CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,776 of 31,833
Do you have the ZS5 or X5 to compare?

I have both.

Only had the ZS5 since yesterday and I'm fully on the hype train. Initially I thought they were on the bright side but I've acclimatised to them. They are like an improved version of the ZSTs, and a different animal to the cellos.

The difference to me is like the difference between analogue and digital where the cellos sound warmer and more natural with better bass and sub bass. The ZS5s have a more metallic artificial sound but have better treble extension and detail in the highs coupled with a wider soundstage.

Don't get me wrong, they don't sound artificial, but are leaning more towards that sound than the cellos. It's musical vs precision.

It may be new toy syndrome, but I'm leaning towards the ZS5s at the moment and don't want to take them out of my ears!

The X5s are good for the money and have more of a v shape, but are not as good as the cellos or zs5s IMO

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #2,778 of 31,833
So I take the plunge for a very beautifull version of the SEAF AWK-F32 (transparent one with silver plated cable), they were 15$ at the time and when it'S late in night I make compulsive purchase:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...32814353873.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.MxXCnR

Will surely make other late-night-compulsive purchases in the futur, especially if Ali make exciting sale. Must admit I don't like cheap construction tough and even if sound can be amazing for little price with earbuds, construction aren't must of time in sub 15$, at 15-50$ we can find incredible value tough.

I begin a earbud collection and for now my 2 favorite are Musicmaker Mrz Tomohawk (28-38$, incredible soundstage and instrument separation, wow effect guarantee for an earbud!), Quian 39 (5-8$, oooooh, these vocals!) and Faael 64ohm (7-11$, analogue warm like and clean, quite neutral too), I try other one like **** PT15, Ty Hi-Z 32ohm (have in the ears right now) but find it kind of dry.

Will try to find other one and make a little reference list for confuse headfier (like me), there a very good forum about budget earbuds here too:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,779 of 31,833
Hey @Nymphonomaniac, thanks for your recommendations! Well, I do not hate bass that's for sure, but I like earphones that are able to separate instruments since I listen to a wide genre of music, from country folk to metal so I prefer "balanced/neutral" so I need not to change earphones when having listening sessions. Anyway, what is your take on the build quality of your recommendations, particularly the **** 6in1? While I consider myself careful with my listening gears, I would like durable earphones that will not break when one of my dogs suddenly decided to jump on me while I am using my laptop.

Hum, from experience my more durable iem are the custom looking one like the **** UEs Hybrid drivers, it have solid resin shell and if your dog don't swallow it, it will survive! Not sure about **** XBA, it look solid enough but not invincible like the UEs. Can fall on the ground and all I think, but paint of logo can go off quite easily....perhaps soundsignature of UEs is more clean too, but less bassy. Really think detachable cable can be a plus for you.

Tennmak Pro are very durable, make 2 years I give them hard life and they still look healty.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #2,780 of 31,833
FYI, I received this IEM today (MoreBlue DM8, from the seller that Vidal linked). I have to say, I am extremely impressed by it. It is an unbelievable deal for $3. As Vidal said it is on the warm side, so as long as you like that signature do yourself a favor and pick up a pair. Note that it doesn't come with any spare tips, no case, no extras of any sort. Just the IEM (with medium tips installed) in a ziplock baggie, which helps explain the ridiculous cost.

They seem like they would benefit from tip rolling as well, as the included tips have a very shallow fit on the nozzle (ie the nozzle will accommodate a much longer tip).

I also received the Fonge T01 from the same vendor. It's decent, and very comfortable with zero microphonics, but the DM8 is definitely the superior IEM between them both.

Update 1: It's very important to get a good seal on the MoreBlue DM8, and to orient the L and R sides properly. They are not marked in any way, and if you switch the R & L sides it sounds like crap. Wearing them behind the ear sounds like crap. They must be worn cable down, but be aware that the cable is very microphonic. Finally, they are a 100% sealed design, so both sides on my pair have crispy crunchy driver flex. You have to play around with them to get a perfect seal, but once you hit the sweet spot of insertion they sound awesome. Those are all extremely minor issues that are easy to look past given the dirt cheap price however (driver flex, microphonic cable, confusing L&R identification, and finicky seal).

Update 2: I added a 1.0mm vent hole in each driver, which eliminated the driver flex. Proper insertion is much easier and more reliable now. The soundstage also improved slightly. If you buy the DM8, I strongly recommend this simple modification. I also colored the cable strains with blue/red sharpie, which eliminated the problem identifying which side is what :0)

What the heck! Look like incredible value for sure. Must be on the List. (5 seconds)....Done.

Might try it soon too!

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,781 of 31,833
Today I glue back the Dodocool Hybrid earphone with superglue, was a little messy must admit but its now officialy repair...I don't quite understand that nobody try these sub-20$ dual drivers, it's a good bassy brother to Urbanfun but I will like to know if we can find better constructed version at same price (FAAEL wooden perhaps?)

Another time, I want to urgely suggest this incredible value and looking earphone called
MyGeek Professional Wood in ear
:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY...78.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.811.w7l3EH

They are INCREDIBLE in every aspect, very luxurious looking with great silver plated cable and high quality wood housing, they kick ass of Sendi M2 (winitone) hard time, soundstage is immense and got lo of air between instrument, their not bass monster but are punchy and have sub and mid bass well rendered, texture incredible as well as details, just a hint bright but not harsh, I don't know what driver they hide inside but it's reall something goooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday, I keep them in my ears all day to be sure i'm not hysterical about them and they just blow my mind non-stop. This level of clarity and at same time dynamic punchy rendering isn't normal for 20$....I will really like to have other impressions than mine about these.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,782 of 31,833
Today I glue back the Dodocool Hybrid earphone with superglue, was a little messy must admit but its now officialy repair...I don't quite understand that nobody try these sub-20$ dual drivers, it's a good bassy brother to Urbanfun but I will like to know if we can find better constructed version at same price (FAAEL wooden perhaps?)

Another time, I want to urgely suggest this incredible value and looking earphone called
MyGeek Professional Wood in ear
:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY...78.html?spm=2114.13010208.99999999.811.w7l3EH

They are INCREDIBLE in every aspect, very luxurious looking with great silver plated cable and high quality wood housing, they kick ass of Sendi M2 (winitone) hard time, soundstage is immense and got lo of air between instrument, their not bass monster but are punchy and have sub and mid bass well rendered, texture incredible as well as details, just a hint bright but not harsh, I don't know what driver they hide inside but it's reall something goooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday, I keep them in my ears all day to be sure i'm not hysterical about them and they just blow my mind non-stop. This level of clarity and at same time dynamic punchy rendering isn't normal for 20$....I will really like to have other impressions than mine about these.
They remind me of the SoundSOUL S-018, which I have. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,783 of 31,833
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #2,784 of 31,833
TRUE! It even got a tread about them!
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/soundsoul-s-018-impressions-thread.748807/page-19

Well, I think they look Very similar even if there no hole in the back and cable is different, how would you describe soundsignature???

I think i'm as enthusiast with the Mygeek as people are with the S-018 too:heart_eyes_cat:
I would have to go back home and take a quick listen, they are really keepers! I will give a quick impression to their sound later this week. :beerchug:

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,786 of 31,833
Hi guys. Anybody tried both HLSX BK50 and Bosshifi B3? They look very similar under every aspect: price, build, drivers. Which one has better bass and mids?

Very different earphones in terms of build - B3 are better built and more compact. The BK50s seem a little flimsy and poorly finished in comparison. B3 is balanced whilst BK50 is noticeable warmer sounding. Both are very good but I prefer the B3

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,787 of 31,833
Hi guys. Anybody tried both HLSX BK50 and Bosshifi B3? They look very similar under every aspect: price, build, drivers. Which one has better bass and mids?

Very different earphones in terms of build - B3 are better built and more compact. The BK50s seem a little flimsy and poorly finished in comparison. B3 is balanced whilst BK50 is noticeable warmer sounding. Both are very good but I prefer the B3

As far as the sound goes, I agree with @Vidal - while both the BK50 and B3 sound very good, my favorite is the B3.
The cable on the BK50 is really nice.

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,788 of 31,833
Look like it's review day for me too hehe

Just finish the **** XBA 6in1 review, I want to get more serious about reviewing and learn to express sound description more adequately (the fact that i'm french is really anoying sometime!)
Anyway, my humble attempt:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/****-xba-6in1.22441/reviews#review-18701

Comparatively to HCK, DD-Audiostore was faster for shipping....for 5$ more I think it's a plus cause now I search aliexpress seller that do not take 2 months (or more!) to ship.

Really love the XBA and my only complaint is about construction (paint of the logo go off easily).

Hey man, you having owned both the Senfers 4in1 and XBA, could you say that the XBAs are an upgrade to the 4in1s?
Do you find them less sibilant than the 4in1s?

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,789 of 31,833
Hey man, you having owned both the Senfers 4in1 and XBA, could you say that the XBAs are an upgrade to the 4in1s?
Do you find them less sibilant than the 4in1s?

Yeah, way less sibilant, quite the opposite soundsignature in fact! Treble isn't as harsh and cold sounding that 4in1, bass is way more present, clarity is different, cause sound is thicker, mids are about the same, not very wide and envelopping but well presented and clean, high of 6in1 are less clinical....very different beast that I find way more musical than the 4in1 (did not have anymore, sold after I got 6in1!). I'm ''happy'' to know that you find sibilant the 4in1, was thinking i'm crazy cause of all good reviews it got! They kind of remind me the **** PT15 annoying soundsignature if I think about it. Only drawback would be a little lack of air between instruments (for a 3 driver iem) and a so so housing construction (but well glued togheter!). For 10$ more, it's a big upgrade in term of musicality and fun factor.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,790 of 31,833
Yeah, way less sibilant, quite the opposite soundsignature in fact! Treble isn't as harsh and cold sounding that 4in1, bass is way more present, clarity is different, cause sound is thicker, mids are about the same, not very wide and envelopping but well presented and clean, high of 6in1 are less clinical....very different beast that I find way more musical than the 4in1 (did not have anymore, sold after I got 6in1!). I'm ''happy'' to know that you find sibilant the 4in1, was thinking i'm crazy cause of all good reviews it got! They kind of remind me the **** PT15 annoying soundsignature if I think about it. Only drawback would be a little lack of air between instruments (for a 3 driver iem) and a so so housing construction (but well glued togheter!). For 10$ more, it's a big upgrade in term of musicality and fun factor.

Thanks for your input man, yeah, I always found them sibilant, even with my smartphone, I always have to lower the volume, definitely gonna buy them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back