CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #27,631 of 31,833
For water proof & no microphonic, you may consider get wireless iem (TWS), there is a wireless dedicated thread(is is too soon for wireless?) , so you may ask there. I usually use AirPodsPro while working out at gym.
How does the Airpods pro sounds compared to sub $100 IEMs? Aria for example. Is it comparable even if they are different types?

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #27,632 of 31,833
Hello guys, I'm here looking for suggestions. I'm looking for sport iems (sweat and possibly rain resistant) characterized by big, powerful and boomy bass, distant vocals and not fatiguing highs. In addition, it would be appreciated a good sound insulation and a low sound leakage. Finally, it would be essential not to have microphonics. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.
You gotta go with TWS for working out nowadays. I'll also recommend the ones with hooks for extra stability! On top of my head, I prefer stuffs like Aftershokz Aeropex Mini, JLab Air Sport, Powerbeats Pro, and Cyberfox T1 etc for exercise.

SONY WF-XB700 fits your description of sound to a tee. They've got pretty good bass, decent isolation. I really digged their sound, but everything else about them were SUB-PAR(comfort, latency, bulky, case battery). Only worth a shot if you can find them in a good deal.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #27,633 of 31,833
It’s around 4.5mm-5mm, comply should fit fine.
Thanks again! Is that for all the ones mentioned, or some in particular? I saw a review on Amazon mentions the CCA CA16 has a 2mm or so nozzle.

You've given me a lot to work on already, I've been reading hours of reviews on and off. Plus the reviews of other compared IEMs mentioned in those reviews. Ill throw some more questions out there, just for fun, no pressure to answer.

The KBear Lark and TRN VX reviews on here mention stuff like fatiguing treble and a bright sound. Since I'm aiming for warm and I think a bit smooth on the highs, as much as can be appropriate for metal anyway, it sounds like the CCA CA16 could be more up my alley? Or the ZAX? Though the CCA and KS reviews also mention some negatives like sounding sterile or artificial etc. Though it's all personal.

Also, any takes on stuff like TN T2Plus that come up in reviews of these? And BLON BL-03? I'm just thinking out loud pretty much, sure are a lot to look into. I think I like the idea of something kind of inoffensive in the highs (smooth etc), just with more mids than the very V-shaped lower price ones I'm used to, so vocals sound better. And I like a good bit of bass etc. But I'm definitely a bit out of practice, I don't even know too much about the hybrid thing. I'll have to try a couple of these. Thanks!

Edit: Also, it looks like the earlier KBear Lark reviews mentioning excessive treble might be for an early batch that they later corrected, so I'm intrigued there. Is there an easy way to tell if I'll get the corrected one?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #27,635 of 31,833
How does the Airpods pro sounds compared to sub $100 IEMs? Aria for example. Is it comparable even if they are different types?
I found airpods pro performing really well as a TWS, even compared to wired sub $100 IEMs, (of course not a competition vs same price ranged wired).
Air Pods Pro : Vocal range focused neutral, pretty flat, lacking last octaves of sub-bass and air as a trade-off of comfortable long term listening
Resolution: 70/100, Sound Stage: 85/100, Noise Isolation: 95/100 (I will say ER4 with triple flange eartip completely shut noise in trade of risk of accident), convenience 100/100, water proof 90/100, recommendable to even audiophile community, it's not a typical earpods thingy(bad IEM) anymore. You'd expect about the same level of sound quality from Aria, but their tuning is different, one with flat and vocal range focus, one with a slight U-shaped Harman curve.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #27,636 of 31,833
Thanks again! Is that for all the ones mentioned, or some in particular? I saw a review on Amazon mentions the CCA CA16 has a 2mm or so nozzle.

You've given me a lot to work on already, I've been reading hours of reviews on and off. Plus the reviews of other compared IEMs mentioned in those reviews. Ill throw some more questions out there, just for fun, no pressure to answer.

The KBear Lark and TRN VX reviews on here mention stuff like fatiguing treble and a bright sound. Since I'm aiming for warm and I think a bit smooth on the highs, as much as can be appropriate for metal anyway, it sounds like the CCA CA16 could be more up my alley? Or the ZAX? Though the CCA and KS reviews also mention some negatives like sounding sterile or artificial etc. Though it's all personal.

Also, any takes on stuff like TN T2Plus that come up in reviews of these? And BLON BL-03? I'm just thinking out loud pretty much, sure are a lot to look into. I think I like the idea of something kind of inoffensive in the highs (smooth etc), just with more mids than the very V-shaped lower price ones I'm used to, so vocals sound better. And I like a good bit of bass etc. But I'm definitely a bit out of practice, I don't even know too much about the hybrid thing. I'll have to try a couple of these. Thanks!

Edit: Also, it looks like the earlier KBear Lark reviews mentioning excessive treble might be for an early batch that they later corrected, so I'm intrigued there. Is there an easy way to tell if I'll get the corrected one?
Maybe the narrow part is 2mm but the wider part is good enough to hold T400 type 4mm ear tips.

KBEar lark is on the brighter side, but it's pretty flat compared to other IEMS, with its tamed bass range, it has a warm-flat sound with vocal focus with 4k peak, and some sparkle around 8k. I directly contacted KBEar officials, and they responded the brother model "so-called 4K" is discontinued by Oct 2020. I believe the model I have it now with my hand is tamed new tuning. But it's 30095 mods after all, so it may not suite your preference.

VX is surely on the exciting side, slight V-shaped. Warm and Smooth treble, CCA CA16 and CSN are very very warm, some may find it almost boring for its treble, and that's how CCA is differentiating itself from the rest of the competitors. And I'd forget about ZAX, its VX siblings, it has a slight V-shape signature which you probably would dislike.

The reason why people criticize CCA/KZ/TRN and all other chi-fi brand's BA as sterile / steel-like / artificial is that they all use "Bellsing" balanced armature drivers within.
It's disputed Chinese manufacturer producing the infamous #30095 the BA used for most of Chi-fi IEMS. The CCA CA16 and CSN also use that.

But believe it or not, if they tune bellsing right, it can be claimed as high-end (see the list of "high-end" product that contains Bellsing BAs, the campfire audio, Jerry Harvey also applied Chi-Fi manufacturer recently.

For each of the following items, Knowles has imported one into the US, disassembled it and found it to contain at least one Bellsing BA product, therefore seeking a Cease & Desist against the company:

• FiiO F9 Dynamic Hybrid Earphones
  • Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones
  • InEarz Audio P300
  • MagicEar Personal Sound Amplifiers
  • Campfire Audio Solaris In-Ear Monitors
  • Clear Tune Monitors AS-7 In-Ear Monitors
  • Resound S-Receiver Tubing & Resound NP-Receiver Tubing
  • Jerry Harvey JH10X3 Pro In-Ear Monitors
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/cxqlje/knowles_files_claim_with_us_trade_commission_to/

So after all, based on your listing preference, especially the listeners prefer using Compl type of foam ear-tips to cut off treble, I can see you are on very treble sensitive group, so yes you may dig more into single DD type (avoid KZ DQ6 as it's super hyped on head-fi, but it's definitely not for super-treble sensitive group), I don't have T2P, but after reading many impressions & FR, it appears like more on the warm brighter-flat take, a bit more aggressive than KBear Lark, in a single DD's approach, same to BL-03.

You may refer Crinacle's FR chart comparison tool, comparing the frequency responses for each:

Sample: Aria 2 (red) vs Blon BL03 (green), you can see Aria has more mid-range, and slightly tamed 8k, so it will have less sparkles. The vocal's "s, th" sound is around 6k, which treble sensitive group has very low tolerance, Aria also is slightly lower than BL03. You may pay attention to 6k, 8k peak, above 10k the measurement isn't accurate and it's more of "air" presentation rather than treble spikes.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF Neutral Target,Aria 2021,BL03
1618847449970.png

I'd highly recommend Moondrop Aria 2 (2021 model) as I just noticed how close it sounds like one of the best IEMs on the market "Softears RSV" in FR chart.
Technically it's a different game, but at least in terms of tonality, it should sound very similar. This RSV I'd refer as "endgame IEM for natural sound reproduction" which cost a fortune ($730), but it could outperforms, one of king of IEM, UM MEST MkII, in terms of HRTF simulation. If your highest priority is "natural sound repdocution", you may give Moondrop Aria 2 a shot.

1618853132968.png

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #27,637 of 31,833
Apr 19, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #27,638 of 31,833

For me, my default "Metal" IEM is the Blon BL05S. Loads of heft, almost W shaped FR to my ears, fantastic separation. Metal isn't my favourite genre by a long way but the 05S makes me want to listen to metal.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #27,639 of 31,833
Maybe the narrow part is 2mm but the wider part is good enough to hold T400 type 4mm ear tips.

KBEar lark is on the brighter side, but it's pretty flat compared to other IEMS, with its tamed bass range, it has a warm-flat sound with vocal focus with 4k peak, and some sparkle around 8k. I directly contacted KBEar officials, and they responded the brother model "so-called 4K" is discontinued by Oct 2020. I believe the model I have it now with my hand is tamed new tuning. But it's 30095 mods after all, so it may not suite your preference.

VX is surely on the exciting side, slight V-shaped. Warm and Smooth treble, CCA CA16 and CSN are very very warm, some may find it almost boring for its treble, and that's how CCA is differentiating itself from the rest of the competitors. And I'd forget about ZAX, its VX siblings, it has a slight V-shape signature which you probably would dislike.

The reason why people criticize CCA/KZ/TRN and all other chi-fi brand's BA as sterile / steel-like / artificial is that they all use "Bellsing" balanced armature drivers within.
It's disputed Chinese manufacturer producing the infamous #30095 the BA used for most of Chi-fi IEMS. The CCA CA16 and CSN also use that.

But believe it or not, if they tune bellsing right, it can be claimed as high-end (see the list of "high-end" product that contains Bellsing BAs, the campfire audio, Jerry Harvey also applied Chi-Fi manufacturer recently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/cxqlje/knowles_files_claim_with_us_trade_commission_to/

So after all, based on your listing preference, especially the listeners prefer using Compl type of foam ear-tips to cut off treble, I can see you are on very treble sensitive group, so yes you may dig more into single DD type (avoid KZ DQ6 as it's super hyped on head-fi, but it's definitely not for super-treble sensitive group), I don't have T2P, but after reading many impressions & FR, it appears like more on the warm brighter-flat take, a bit more aggressive than KBear Lark, in a single DD's approach, same to BL-03.

You may refer Crinacle's FR chart comparison tool, comparing the frequency responses for each:

Sample: Aria 2 (red) vs Blon BL03 (green), you can see Aria has more mid-range, and slightly tamed 8k, so it will have less sparkles. The vocal's "s, th" sound is around 6k, which treble sensitive group has very low tolerance, Aria also is slightly lower than BL03. You may pay attention to 6k, 8k peak, above 10k the measurement isn't accurate and it's more of "air" presentation rather than treble spikes.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF Neutral Target,Aria 2021,BL03
1618847449970.png

I'd highly recommend Moondrop Aria 2 (2021 model) as I just noticed how close it sounds like one of the best IEMs on the market "Softears RSV" in FR chart.
Technically it's a different game, but at least in terms of tonality, it should sound very similar. This RSV I'd refer as "endgame IEM for natural sound reproduction" which cost a fortune ($730), but it could outperforms, one of king of IEM, UM MEST MkII, in terms of HRTF simulation. If your highest priority is "natural sound repdocution", you may give Moondrop Aria 2 a shot.

1618853132968.png
Can confirm the Aria is awesome for metal \m/

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #27,640 of 31,833

Thanks! That's a lot of great info, I appreciate all the help for this head-fi padiwan. Definitely a lot of cool stuff to try out and look into. I've got a bit of OCD, so it's tough to pick, I'll have to bookmark a few to try. There's always a "catch" for my taste it sounds like, like the Aria review here mentions that if you're accustomed to a warmer sound it may seem cool, at least in the midrange. That said, the Starfield graph is similar to the Ikko OH01, and oddly enough my dad has an Ikko OH01. If I tried his Ikko would that be in the ballpark of what an Aria sounds like?

Would you Aria fans here say it has a warm sound to it?

That BL-05S sounds appealing too. I'm a novice for above $40 stuff, or recent stuff, so I just tend to find it appealing when I see "warm" turn up in reviews. I'm thinking I'll try at least one of these higher-end sounding balanced or bright-ish (but hopefully a bit warm) ones, and one or two of these "mild V" ones.

Much appreciated folks.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #27,641 of 31,833
I found airpods pro performing really well as a TWS, even compared to wired sub $100 IEMs, (of course not a competition vs same price ranged wired).
Air Pods Pro : Vocal range focused neutral, pretty flat, lacking last octaves of sub-bass and air as a trade-off of comfortable long term listening
Resolution: 70/100, Sound Stage: 85/100, Noise Isolation: 95/100 (I will say ER4 with triple flange eartip completely shut noise in trade of risk of accident), convenience 100/100, water proof 90/100, recommendable to even audiophile community, it's not a typical earpods thingy(bad IEM) anymore. You'd expect about the same level of sound quality from Aria, but their tuning is different, one with flat and vocal range focus, one with a slight U-shaped Harman curve.
Much appreciated ! That's really lot of info.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #27,642 of 31,833
Comparing my Blon Bl-03 with KZ DQ6, I think I still prefer the sound of the former. Blon Bl03 with KZ foam tips is great and DQ6 with Spinfit 100 also performs terrific, but a little harsh in the highs to my taste. One thing that I have noticed is that with the original cable, the DQ6 has low, constant (white?) noise when I connect to my devices.

Can you recommend me any good replacement cables for the DQ6 (and possible the Blon BL03) WITH A MIC? :)

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #27,644 of 31,833
Thanks! That's a lot of great info, I appreciate all the help for this head-fi padiwan. Definitely a lot of cool stuff to try out and look into. I've got a bit of OCD, so it's tough to pick, I'll have to bookmark a few to try. There's always a "catch" for my taste it sounds like, like the Aria review here mentions that if you're accustomed to a warmer sound it may seem cool, at least in the midrange. That said, the Starfield graph is similar to the Ikko OH01, and oddly enough my dad has an Ikko OH01. If I tried his Ikko would that be in the ballpark of what an Aria sounds like?

Would you Aria fans here say it has a warm sound to it?

That BL-05S sounds appealing too. I'm a novice for above $40 stuff, or recent stuff, so I just tend to find it appealing when I see "warm" turn up in reviews. I'm thinking I'll try at least one of these higher-end sounding balanced or bright-ish (but hopefully a bit warm) ones, and one or two of these "mild V" ones.

Much appreciated folks.
Warmth is pretty much a personal experience for IEM, it constitutes: two factors:
1: Overtone reproduction, the harmonics of the original tones, as BA drivers tend to produce less second and third harmonics, it makes sound "cooler", dynamic drivers produces more resonance, but sometimes that could result in a trade-off of tonal distortion.
2: Quantity and the overall tonal balance, if the tonal balance on frequency response is 10dB above the neutral line for 200hz to like 2khz, and the rest of the spectrum stays on or below the neutral line, of which Crinacle's IEF Neutral (gray line) pretty much draws the line, I bet many would claim it warm.

If you have reference point of IKKO OH1 here is the chart,
1618870366783.png

Aria is a tad smoother of the two, I see OH1 will be the brighter and more toward U-Shaped.

I recently come to realize, many companies are avoiding 3k pinna gain peak(they either offset 3k or shift peak to 2.5-2.8k or 4k), or just boost whole 2.5k-4k all flat) , and a very selected few commit to challenge 3k pinna gain range. Of which many of IEMs are renowned as top-notch among many head-fiers, so you may dig into and look for some single dynamic drivers that hit like the Hiditon Viento-B, or Softears RSV, if the listener's sweet spot is at 3k, it's surely will produce a very life-like and natural sound. It's 3khz pinna gain hitter.

Here are some examples: Hiditon Viento-B and Vision Ears VE8, I will set Viento-B as benchmark
1618870712328.png

Softwars RSV:
1618870765790.png

Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk:
1618870888118.png

See Audio Yume

1618870902761.png

Thieaudio Legacy 4 (with 02 switch)

1618870948728.png

SONY MH750

1618871091512.png

QOA Adonis

1618871116659.png

Apple AirPods Pro

1618871148771.png

And lastly Moondrop Aria, Aria's pinna gain is 2.5k though, if it fits your sweetspot, then you may know your likes and dislikes. I see your Dad's favorite IKKO OH1 has 2.7k ish peak, you can compare to se which mid range peak you would prefer and then later decide your own "target tuning" :L3000:

1618871188745.png

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #27,645 of 31,833
for best IEM sub $100, no matter how many new IEMs out there, these three can't be beaten IMO:

CCA CA16 with CP800, KBEAR KS1, TFZ Tequila - Paired with BTR5 FIIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back