CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #27,616 of 31,838
Yeah, I heard of it. But I thought the starfield maybe slightly better since the Aria is priced at sub $100 category.
it’s more of product life cycle pricing, Aria cuts its cost by outer shell painting, it’s one of sub100 anomaly. Also we need to pay extra attention to this hobby that the many, I mean many of iems performance to price are very scattered. For one of the references, I found this chart pretty much listed a good vision toward value to money.
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/p/antdroid-iem-ranking-list.html?m=1

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #27,618 of 31,838
Thanks for making things clearer for me. I’m a headphone guy and been through this hobby for 4 years. I’ve tried so many headphones but never tried any hifi IEM. I’m kinda lost in which IEM suits me as there are so many to choose from.
Now, after some digging I’m thinking to choose one of these: Starfield, HE01 or planar pair Audeze isine10 b-stock for $120.
I prefer neutral sounding with little bit excitement in treble region and detail. Also not looking for V shape sounding.
I’m looking for something unique that gives me different experience since they will be my first IEM to own.

Coming from headphones to IEMs is quite a big culture shock. IEMs will (in general) not beat headphones in soundstage, the soundstage is more "in your head" for IEMs. But IEMs generally beat headphones in portability, sometimes isolation and also they are generally more drivable than the bigger power hungry headphones.

If you have a good amp, do consider the HZSound Heart Mirror. It is neutralish bright as per your requirements. Good transients, imaging. Soundstage isn't the biggest. It has very good timbre, and is great for vocals in view of the forward upper mids. Thankfully, it balances a very fine line between a forward upper mids and doesn't veer into shouty territory when amped. It sounds meh when under powered, but otherwise I give the Heart Mirror my vote of best sub $100 single DD.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #27,620 of 31,838
would you say it's treble could bother some or it is not piercing at all? after your description I kind did get interested in them. if you don't mind, how does it compare to ssr?

I am treble sensitive and the Heart Mirror (when amped) is way within my tolerances. As per the previous post, I really like that the Heart Mirror can thread the fine line between getting a forward great vocals without veering into shouty territory. It is a neutral bright set, and admittedly, there's instances of sibilance and some harshness in the treble in poorly recorded material or at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve), but by and large, it is a rare bright set that is suitable for treble sensitive folks, especially if you pair it with a warm amp. If you don't have an amp, please look elsewhere from the Heart Mirror.

In contrast, we see a lot of budget CHIFI boosting the upper mids/treble for clarity to give a perceived sense of details (some might call it fake details even). A lot however, make the mistake of over boosting this area and then the IEM becomes a shrieking banshee and sibilance fest in the upper frequencies, you might have heard some IEMs like that.

The Moondrop SSR is tuned somewhat diffuse-field neutral with an upper mids boost. SSR actually sounds nice at low volumes, but by pumping up the volume a few dB, the 3 kHz area is a shouty ice pick and is too much for me (Fletcher Munson Curve). The SSR has very polarizing reviews for the tonality, and I think this may be due to the different volumes all of us are using it at, and volume levels are typically not mentioned by reviewers or consumers. Not to mention the different sources, tips, hearing health we all have may affect our perception of upper mids/treble in the SSR.

I’ll take the HZSound Heart Mirror any day over the SSR, as the 3 kHz peak and the sibilance on the SSR is a deal breaker for me, YMMV. If you are a low volume listener, then the SSR isn't bad, but the isolation isn't great, so I wouldn't like to use it outdoors.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #27,621 of 31,838
would you say it's treble could bother some or it is not piercing at all? after your description I kind did get interested in them. if you don't mind, how does it compare to ssr?
You have HeartMirror($50) or Moondrop Aria($80) now, heartmirror for narrower sound stage and brighter tuning, Aria for wider soundstage and tamed tuning about same with Starfield. If you are treble sensitive, you may pick Aria, if you prefer resolution, you may pick HeartMirror.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #27,622 of 31,838
I am treble sensitive and the Heart Mirror (when amped) is way within my tolerances. As per the previous post, I really like that the Heart Mirror can thread the fine line between getting a forward great vocals without veering into shouty territory. It is a neutral bright set, and admittedly, there's instances of sibilance and some harshness in the treble in poorly recorded material or at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve), but by and large, it is a rare bright set that is suitable for treble sensitive folks, especially if you pair it with a warm amp. If you don't have an amp, please look elsewhere from the Heart Mirror.

In contrast, we see a lot of budget CHIFI boosting the upper mids/treble for clarity to give a perceived sense of details (some might call it fake details even). A lot however, make the mistake of over boosting this area and then the IEM becomes a shrieking banshee and sibilance fest in the upper frequencies, you might have heard some IEMs like that.

The Moondrop SSR is tuned somewhat diffuse-field neutral with an upper mids boost. SSR actually sounds nice at low volumes, but by pumping up the volume a few dB, the 3 kHz area is a shouty ice pick and is too much for me (Fletcher Munson Curve). The SSR has very polarizing reviews for the tonality, and I think this may be due to the different volumes all of us are using it at, and volume levels are typically not mentioned by reviewers or consumers. Not to mention the different sources, tips, hearing health we all have may affect our perception of upper mids/treble in the SSR.

I’ll take the HZSound Heart Mirror any day over the SSR, as the 3 kHz peak and the sibilance on the SSR is a deal breaker for me, YMMV. If you are a low volume listener, then the SSR isn't bad, but the isolation isn't great, so I wouldn't like to use it outdoors.
thanks for the explanation. I really do need an amp/dac as some iems take advantage from the extra power. as I don't really own any "neutral" iem, I've been thinking about getting one in the the long term. as for now I've been speculating around aria and fiio fd1.

You have HeartMirror($50) or Moondrop Aria($80) now, heartmirror for narrower sound stage and brighter tuning, Aria for wider soundstage and tamed tuning about same with Starfield. If you are treble sensitive, you may pick Aria, if you prefer resolution, you may pick HeartMirror.
actually I wasn't looking for the heart mirror, maybe you were taking about @Helmy93? I was just surprised by @baskingshark opinion about the heartmirror. anyways I am in doubt between aria and fd1.

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #27,623 of 31,838
Coming from headphones to IEMs is quite a big culture shock. IEMs will (in general) not beat headphones in soundstage, the soundstage is more "in your head" for IEMs. But IEMs generally beat headphones in portability, sometimes isolation and also they are generally more drivable than the bigger power hungry headphones.

If you have a good amp, do consider the HZSound Heart Mirror. It is neutralish bright as per your requirements. Good transients, imaging. Soundstage isn't the biggest. It has very good timbre, and is great for vocals in view of the forward upper mids. Thankfully, it balances a very fine line between a forward upper mids and doesn't veer into shouty territory when amped. It sounds meh when under powered, but otherwise I give the Heart Mirror my vote of best sub $100 single DD.
Yes I’m not expecting beatable performance from IEMs against headphones. It’s just the hobby that makes me want to try everything.
HZSound Heart Mirror seems to suit me and I think I may like it’s sound signature. Thanks for letting me know, as it was not among the most famous IEMs ppl recommend.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #27,624 of 31,838
it’s more of product life cycle pricing, Aria cuts its cost by outer shell painting, it’s one of sub100 anomaly. Also we need to pay extra attention to this hobby that the many, I mean many of iems performance to price are very scattered. For one of the references, I found this chart pretty much listed a good vision toward value to money.
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/p/antdroid-iem-ranking-list.html?m=1
Thanks for the recommendation. IEMs market seems harder to choose from than headphones. :beyersmile:
I may need to try a popular IEM at first so I could take it as reference while reading other IEMs reviews and me it easier for me. :)

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #27,625 of 31,838
Hello guys, I'm here looking for suggestions. I'm looking for sport iems (sweat and possibly rain resistant) characterized by big, powerful and boomy bass, distant vocals and not fatiguing highs. In addition, it would be appreciated a good sound insulation and a low sound leakage. Finally, it would be essential not to have microphonics. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #27,626 of 31,838
Hi, I'll throw my recommendation question in here too. I've been using Soundmagic E10s for years, they sound ok, but you have to make them really loud to feel you hear vocals well etc. In the orange range of volume settings on a Samsung phone etc. So I really like warm sounding a bit bassy ones for metal and rock, and synthwave, but maybe a little more balanced and higher quality sounding than those. I tried their E50 but it sounded too cold for me. Also, I like to use foam tips like Comply T-400 or compatible 4-5mm tips.

Anything I might want to try? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #27,627 of 31,838
Hello guys, I'm here looking for suggestions. I'm looking for sport iems (sweat and possibly rain resistant) characterized by big, powerful and boomy bass, distant vocals and not fatiguing highs. In addition, it would be appreciated a good sound insulation and a low sound leakage. Finally, it would be essential not to have microphonics. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.
For water proof & no microphonic, you may consider get wireless iem (TWS), there is a wireless dedicated thread(is is too soon for wireless?) , so you may ask there. I usually use AirPodsPro while working out at gym.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #27,628 of 31,838
Hi, I'll throw my recommendation question in here too. I've been using Soundmagic E10s for years, they sound ok, but you have to make them really loud to feel you hear vocals well etc. In the orange range of volume settings on a Samsung phone etc. So I really like warm sounding a bit bassy ones for metal and rock, and synthwave, but maybe a little more balanced and higher quality sounding than those. I tried their E50 but it sounded too cold for me. Also, I like to use foam tips like Comply T-400 or compatible 4-5mm tips.

Anything I might want to try? Thanks.
Warm sounding for metal/rock/synth:
CCA CSN($17-30), CCA CA16($50-70), KBEar Lark($29), Moondrop Aria($80) might be a good pick for under $100.
Or you may even consider picking up KZ EDX ($7-19) it has pretty good nice and warm sounds.
I personally recommend KBEAR Lark($29), TRN VX($50-78), KZ ZAX($50-79) for Metal/Rock.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #27,629 of 31,838
Warm sounding for metal/rock/synth:
CCA CSN($17-30), CCA CA16($50-70), KBEar Lark($29), Moondrop Aria($80) might be a good pick for under $100.
Or you may even consider picking up KZ EDX ($7-19) it has pretty good nice and warm sounds.
I personally recommend KBEAR Lark($29), TRN VX($50-78), KZ ZAX($50-79) for Metal/Rock.

Much appreciated! Do you know the foam tip compatibility of some of those, or the nozzle size in mm etc? Part of the reason I've stuck with the ol' Soundmagic ones is because I've always used that T-400 or similar style of foam tip.

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #27,630 of 31,838
Much appreciated! Do you know the foam tip compatibility of some of those, or the nozzle size in mm etc? Part of the reason I've stuck with the ol' Soundmagic ones is because I've always used that T-400 or similar style of foam tip.
It’s around 4.5mm-5mm, comply should fit fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back