CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #26,177 of 31,833
Nobody here has ordered Shini s520? It is a pity cause it is the cheapest and best sounding earphones you'll ever hear. Stunning balance and clarity. Seems like people here only consider more expensive stuff...

They remind me of the KOSS KSC75 which were a horrible fit for me. I really couldn't get a good fit or position to hear the decent sound others mentioned.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #26,179 of 31,833
The only Shure product that I’ve ever owned was the popular E4C. It used a vented Knowles ED-26805 wideband driver. I loved that thing, and wish I still had it today.

The E4C was a revelation to me as well. I wish it had detachable cables because...entropy. I got later Shures as replacements but I still think that was the one.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #26,180 of 31,833
BTW, I am stanning the ISN D02. Classical (Beethoven Emperor concerto with Stephen Hough, how can two hands be so independent???), Afrobeats (Davido), soundtrack (Hans Zimmer "Oh so serious" 3:20), hiphop, reggaeton, indie-rock, anything...these are GOOD!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #26,181 of 31,833
Sooo, now I've had more time with the Heart Mirror I must give an update. I was able to spend some quality time with it last night and spent nearly three hours on TIDAL. My revised opinion... I think I underplayed how good they actually sound. With no distractions, I was able to appreciate just how detailed this thing is, but still fun. I originally thought the micro-detail levels were just up top due to that brighter upper treble but I was dead wrong. It's bottom to top. Sub-bass again isn't going to wow you with power, rattle you into submission, but it does actually hit the notes and is no worse than other light on sub-bass-weight sets.

Overall sound I originally thought was a bit too bright, but not sure if it's down to the source I used FIIO M6 (LO)>>>DAC MAGIC X2 (with KZ Starline tips) or me getting used to it (in peace), but it's actually got a nice tinge of warmth and it's far from as thin as I first thought it was. The combo I used seemed to acquaint it with some more body, whereas the M6 on it's own is naturally thinner sounding.

That lack of thump from the bass actually lets you hear some bass notes you probably hadn't noticed before on your favourite songs. I was hearing quick, double plucks of the bass where before i thought it was just the single note. I was able to distinguish between bass guitar, synth and bass drum much easier. It reminds me of the AKG Y50 headphones, which again is not that which if you power correctly, has similar sub-bass and levels of detail. Quality over quantity. On SIA's Chandelier, the song sounded energetic and that lack of bloat let me hear everything going on around it. It had wonderful clarity so i heard lower and higher synth notes bob and weave with great speed. Her vocals still nice and centre, but i also heard other vocals in the corner, little bell sounds.

Mids and treble are still very tastefully done and again have very good micro detail. Again, longer listening session actually shows it's not as bright as I first thought either, maybe just a bump in upper mids. I've not many earphones in the £35 range that are able to extract detail like this. The soundstage is well separated. I first thought treble was a bit like a wall of sound, but again it's much better separated than I first heard. On Lorde's Royals, I never appreciated the vocal harmonies before... oh, and that repeating pulsating bass note has great depth is there, again quality over quantity, but it's not lacking either. The Cello on These Boots Are Made For Walking sounds as accurate as bass notes get. It's like watching jazz where the Cello isn't amp'd to plump it up. Think Final e3000. I'd easily rec this in its price range and you should really consider it, especially if ends up on sale like 11:11. Might think by my review it's analytical, but it's not bright or cold, it's musical and fun and just warm/smooth enough. I just enjoyed listening out for the detail, I was still enjoying the music.

I'm going to do some comparisons as i might try a full review on this one, take me out my comfort zone :)

Great impressions, spot on. Love the tuning and technicalities on this set. I don't really like sets with neutralish bass as I'm a basshead, but this is definitely a keeper for me. I still listen to it on a weekly basis (without EQ of the bass too!). It manages to balance a very fine line of forward vocals without being shouty. This is really a good set for vocal lovers.

The bass is quality over quantity as you say, though I think soundstage is an area of weakness on this set, but it improves in soundstage when amped.

One other great area that is not mentioned is that the timbre on the HZSound Heart Mirror is absolutely accurate for acoustic instruments. Even among single DD sets, it is one of the best sub $100 USD sets for timbre, better than the BLON BL-03 in this area, just that the note weight is a bit thinner than I would like. But amping or using warm sources thickens the note weight a tinge.

I use Final E tips on it to tighten the bass and drop the treble a tinge, and also copper cables to give a additional slight heft to the bass (I know not everyone believes in cables), but at least the tips part does help change the sound.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #26,182 of 31,833
The E4C was a revelation to me as well. I wish it had detachable cables because...entropy. I got later Shures as replacements but I still think that was the one.

The Aonic 3 is interesting for investigation esp. since they at Shure admit the rehash and think there stuff is good without change for "8 or 9 years". I was looking at it after fondly remembering the old Shure. A few impressions of the Aonic sound interesting and they don't differ much in the specs 108 vs.109 sens. and 28or 28.5 and 29 impedance I think.

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #26,183 of 31,833
ZAX VS CA16?
ZAX is V shaped with strong bass, somewhat forward mids, not too recessed and extended treble, bright but not harsh. CA16 is more balanced, warm to neutral with a polite treble which does not lack detail. Bass from the 7mm driver is surprisingly robust. Very relaxing to listen to.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #26,184 of 31,833
Great impressions, spot on. Love the tuning and technicalities on this set. I don't really like sets with neutralish bass as I'm a basshead, but this is definitely a keeper for me. I still listen to it on a weekly basis (without EQ of the bass too!). It manages to balance a very fine line of forward vocals without being shouty. This is really a good set for vocal lovers.

The bass is quality over quantity as you say, though I think soundstage is an area of weakness on this set, but it improves in soundstage when amped.

One other great area that is not mentioned is that the timbre on the HZSound Heart Mirror is absolutely accurate for acoustic instruments*. Even among single DD sets, it is one of the best sub $100 USD sets for timbre*, better than the BLON BL-03 in this area, just that the note weight is a bit thinner than I would like. But amping or using warm sources thickens the note weight a tinge.

I use Final E tips on it to tighten the bass and drop the treble a tinge, and also copper cables to give a additional slight heft to the bass (I know not everyone believes in cables), but at least the tips part does help change the sound.

*Couldn't agree more. I actually forgot it was only a single DD, you could swear this was a hybrid with BA in there somewhere for that detail.

Soundstage does improve with amp'ing, still not super wide but positions instruments that bit further around the headspace, especially front to back. I actually started with the excellent Final E tips too and it defo helps with bass and for me with smaller ears, fit. I found the KZ's suited me best so settled with them. I'm not sure a wide bore would suit them, but perhaps that's just me.

I'm glad we both have had a similar experience with the Heart Mirror, I really hope it becomes more popular. Deserves to be.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #26,186 of 31,833
Do people generally consider the tin t3 worse than the t2 and t2 plus? Just curious

i won't say better or worse because that's subjective, but i myself prefer the T2+ and the T2 (in that order) than the T3

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #26,187 of 31,833
Do people generally consider the tin t3 worse than the t2 and t2 plus? Just curious

The T3 has a rather different sound signature compared to the T2 Plus, so I'm sure there are fans of both.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #26,190 of 31,833
On page number one it says KZ EDR1 has ultimate value. I just received mine. They sound, frankly, terrible. To much highs, practically no bass (very shallow), and add to that, the mids are super quiet. The whole trebble is very unnatural and ear splitting. Is something wrong with my set, or is this just how they sound? Imo, my cheap Panasonic RP-HJE125 from my local store sounds Much better (with a pretty deep dip at 250Ghz and a less deep dip at 4k it sounds even better). Tried EQing KZ.. you can't fix it with a 10-band, and I'm not gonna spend hours fixing it on a 20+ custom band EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back