CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #25,217 of 31,833
So, I just got the FIIO FD1 and IBASSO IT00 and, both are quite good but I wonder if anybody else here heard one of those and can share there thoughs?

I need to listen more to IT00 (temporality have limits) but it have a laid back W shape sound, with beautiful wide (female) vocal presence...

FD1 begin to grow on me, its fast transient response is very unique, sound is dense but fast, bass is thigh and thumpy style, mids are fowards with extra upper mids and a kinda treble that favorise texture to micro-details. Musicality is nuanced with great (but compact) layering.
Where are you hearing the mid bump for the it00? 500 to 1k with a dip in 2.5k? I'm not hearing a W shape signature on mine.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #25,218 of 31,833
Where are you hearing the mid bump for the it00? 500 to 1k with a dip in 2.5k? I'm not hearing a W shape signature on mine.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #25,219 of 31,833
So after a month or so of using and trying a dozen or so of mods to the BLON BL-03. Well if what the tuner intended is that it sounded warm U shape, It's pretty much perfect, I have absolutely no complains there maybe other than it rolls of earlier than I'm able to hear in the treble with a steep rolloff at 14kHz. Cutting the stock cable pin hood with scissors seems to fix the subbass rolloff, making it more bass focused overall rather than just midbass focused (And yes I tried it, blocking the intake with my finger kills almost all subbass so if you wonder why people say it's midbass focused, there's a good chance is the stock cable or the unnamable upgrade cable doing that). From a tonality standpoint I kinda just wish they were a little less bassy overall (Imagine BL-05 bass but BL-03 everything else), though that's not to say it sound muddy, in fact it always amazes me at how correctly it plays any individual instrument, just a bit more bassy than I'd like. Also pretty much every head gear before it was very recessed in the lower mids, hence this was a very eye opening experience upon first trying.

From a micro detailing standpoint however, seems to be hardly any better than the grocery store IEM. It's pretty much limited to solos and 3 or maybe 4 man bands, to which I assume this is where BLON needs another ace in the hole, and quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if the 2014 KZ ZST is more capable in the micro detailing department. Those looking for micro details, just do me and yourself the favor of staying away from this IEM.

I don't really wanna write reviews, mainly because I'm a man who likes backing as much as possible with graphs and numbers and try anything to improve what I use so hopefully impressions do.Also because it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the only person who perceives it as warm U shape, rather than just plain dark. Also I'm not in a financially stable state, so I don't think I'll be looking for an upgrade in a while. Also I don't have any... good eartips yet so who knows if there may be some hidden potential still there.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #25,220 of 31,833

enh....why you dont just share personal impressions......their more sub bass emphasis and lack well separated mid bass punch in fact...its more about slam than thump. female vocal Mids arent recessed, As well, I say laid back W....and that i need more listen as im into FD1 right now. I hear the IT00 as fitting in middle of U and W shape. though upper treble isnt very extended.

oh man, i soooooooooooo dont miss this vain punctilious debate.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #25,221 of 31,833
I agree with this assessment. IMHO, it’s main relative weaknesses are decent but not great detail retrieval, and while it has clear and crisp treble that isn’t lacking, it doesn’t have really extended upper treble response. I personally would prefer more sub bass relative to the mid bass. It has such a natural and clear sound overall though, with lots of texture.
My favorite ear tips is KZ Starline. Whats your?

I just paired FD1 with JDS ATOM amp (+Ibasso DX90 dac line out) and it really improve imaging and overall spatiality which is more holographic compared to fowards layering.

I would love having more info about exact driver composition....it say its beryllium plated...but on what diaphragm material?

Metoo i would prefer more natural sub bass extension, and crisper more airy clarity, but what I like about FD1 is that it doesnt sound like any other IEM I try. I'm obsess about timbre richness, so im quite well serrved with these!

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #25,222 of 31,833
My favorite ear tips is KZ Starline. Whats your?

Metoo i would prefer more natural sub bass extension, and crisper more airy clarity, but what I like about FD1 is that it doesnt sound like any other IEM I try. I'm obsess about timbre richness, so im quite well serrved with these!
After going through at least half a dozen different tips, I like the stock black tips the best, though the Xelastecs sound good on the FD1 also. I haven’t tried the Starlines yet though.
“Timbre richness” is a great way to describe the FD1 sound. The timbre is very natural sounding, and it sounds so smooth yet incredibly textured. So far, that’s the one beryllium plated driver trait I find to be quite consistent, texture.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #25,223 of 31,833
Honestly, the BL-03's lack of detail is one of its strong suits for me. It's kind of the M40x of IEMs. Wonderful tonality but smoothed over detailing.
Why is this a plus you ask? Because as a musician involved with his local scene, I have a lot of music I enjoy that is recorded, well... let's just say less than optimally. All my other gear rips them apart without mercy but BL-03 (and M40X) are the perfect tools for such tracks.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #25,224 of 31,833
After going through at least half a dozen different tips, I like the stock black tips the best, though the Xelastecs sound good on the FD1 also. I haven’t tried the Starlines yet though.
“Timbre richness” is a great way to describe the FD1 sound. The timbre is very natural sounding, and it sounds so smooth yet incredibly textured. So far, that’s the one beryllium plated driver trait I find to be quite consistent, texture.
Man your IEM collection is incredible. Lot of promising GEMS in there lke Thieaudio, NF audio and man, this Mangrid Tea seem crazy TOTL value!

Oh, i still have the DUNU LUNA as review tour (i really need to send it back ASAP)...would be interesting to compare pure beryllium against the FD1 cause i feel they have similar tonality and indeed this nuanced effortless timbre rrichness. FD1 and LUNA are very different to crisper, more anlytical and neutral Final A8000 which is my benchmark for detailed reference sound.

I really like FD1 amped version. Way more articulate sound.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #25,225 of 31,833
Honestly, the BL-03's lack of detail is one of its strong suits for me. It's kind of the M40x of IEMs. Wonderful tonality but smoothed over detailing?
Why is this a plus you ask? Because as a musician involved with his local scene, I have a lot of music I enjoy that is recorded, well... let's just say less than optimally. All my other gear rips them apart without mercy but BL-03 (and M40X) are the perfect tools for such tracks.
Like most metal music for some odd reason?

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #25,226 of 31,833
Honestly, the BL-03's lack of detail is one of its strong suits for me. It's kind of the M40x of IEMs. Wonderful tonality but smoothed over detailing?

Exactly. I think of it like vinyl or tube amps. The big appeal of the Blon IS that it’s not ultra detailed. It’s just ‘easy listening’

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #25,227 of 31,833
Exactly. I think of it like vinyl or tube amps. The big appeal of the Blon IS that it’s not ultra detailed. It’s just ‘easy listening’
Reminds me of a reddit comment saying that out of 30 IEMs or so, his BL-03 is his most vintage sounding headgear of his collection. Never knew what vintage sounding means, but I guess it means being easy to listen to regardless of how poorly mixed the track is? Does that sound extremely atypical out of China to make an IEM that's easy to listen regardless of what track you choose?

I didn't know that about the M40x however.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #25,228 of 31,833
Reminds me of a reddit comment saying that out of 30 IEMs or so, his BL-03 is his most vintage sounding headgear of his collection. Never knew what vintage sounding means, but I guess it means being easy to listen to regardless of how poorly mixed the track is?

That’s exactly what they meant!

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #25,230 of 31,833
I have been doing a 4 way comparison featuring
1. KBEAR Diamond
2. Tin T4
3. KZ BA10
4. CCA CA16
I have to say that the CA16 acquitted itself very well. Its sound falls somewhere between the Diamond and the T4. The BA10 is a touch more forward and fast and has a wonderful immediacy. The T4 has the best soundstage, and a very extended treble. The Diamond is warmer and more V shaped with a nice timbre. The CA16 seems to have a little bit of all the rest and is going up in my estimation. It does need a bit more power than the others, though. I am very pleased with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back