CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 14, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #25,157 of 31,833
Received the KBEar KS2 courtesy of @WendyLi and have been listening to them for the past couple days or so. My likes/dislikes so far:

Things I like:
  • These are comfortable, rather lightweight.
  • Stock tips are decent unlike most in this range
  • Bass is punchy, has a nice rhythm to it
  • Quite a bit of resolved detail (more on this later)
  • Soundstage is one of the widest in this range. Final E500 edges it with binaural tracks but given the nature of other chi-fi IEMs in this range - KS2 outclasses them easily.
  • Imaging is also really good. One thing it does well is render the sensation of something being behind you. I did find corner-imaging pretty hazy. Central imaging wasn't also that good, but hey - these are stuff I mostly talk about while reviewing high-end planars.

Things I dislike:
  • Bass sounds detached from the rest.
  • Congested midrange, loses all sense of separation in busy heavy metal/hard rock tracks
  • Midrange shout, vocals are grating, completely wrong timbre
  • That ~7KHz peak gives an extra bit on leading edges of cymbal hits and can get fatiguing very quickly (I'm just about to take a break as I write this)
  • KBEar KB04 is a better value proposition overall and at just a few bucks extra - KS2 is kinda consumed by its own brethren.

I'll listen more over the week and write a review hopefully by next weekend.

1594748569119.png

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #25,158 of 31,833
Received the KBEar KS2 courtesy of @WendyLi and have been listening to them for the past couple days or so. My likes/dislikes so far:

Things I like:
  • These are comfortable, rather lightweight.
  • Stock tips are decent unlike most in this range
  • Bass is punchy, has a nice rhythm to it
  • Quite a bit of resolved detail (more on this later)
  • Soundstage is one of the widest in this range. Final E500 edges it with binaural tracks but given the nature of other chi-fi IEMs in this range - KS2 outclasses them easily.
  • Imaging is also really good. One thing it does well is render the sensation of something being behind you. I did find corner-imaging pretty hazy. Central imaging wasn't also that good, but hey - these are stuff I mostly talk about while reviewing high-end planars.

Things I dislike:
  • Bass sounds detached from the rest.
  • Congested midrange, loses all sense of separation in busy heavy metal/hard rock tracks
  • Midrange shout, vocals are grating, completely wrong timbre
  • That ~7KHz peak gives an extra bit on leading edges of cymbal hits and can get fatiguing very quickly (I'm just about to take a break as I write this)
  • KBEar KB04 is a better value proposition overall and at just a few bucks extra - KS2 is kinda consumed by its own brethren.

I'll listen more over the week and write a review hopefully by next weekend.

1594748569119.png
Hi friend, looking forward to your written review!

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #25,159 of 31,833
Jul 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #25,160 of 31,833
Haven't, been on here for months and was also saddened to hear about Hungry Panda. He was one of the nicest people on here, always ready to help and advise people.

My thoughts are with you @mbwilson111
Same here, haven't been around for months and just learned of HP's passing from Bob @ IMR.
I didn't know him personally but he sure was one of the nicest and most helpful people on this forum.
My heartfelt condolences to @mbwilson111

RIP Hungry Panda

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #25,161 of 31,833
The BQEYZs are all under $40 in Asia where most of humanity lives. If you think the BL-03 with its bloated bass and muffled highs, the V90 with its deep V and absent mids, etc. are credible competition as balanced, neutral-ish IEMs, well, there really is nothing for me to say further. Good luck to you.

Not sure if you misread the tone of my reply to you so I'll hold off saying "no need to be rude".

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #25,162 of 31,833
Only had maybe 6 or 7 hours with the kb100 but really liking it. I was in a rush so originally took them out running with the stock tips and was disappointed thinking I'd maybe had my expectations too high as they just sounded okay. But last night I had them on till 4am having funnily settled for the same tips I had on the bq3.

They've a gorgeous balance to them, clean but still smooth. Nice and open soundstage, not huge but satisfying enough. Better then the bq3.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #25,163 of 31,833
Only had maybe 6 or 7 hours with the kb100 but really liking it. I was in a rush so originally took them out running with the stock tips and was disappointed thinking I'd maybe had my expectations too high as they just sounded okay. But last night I had them on till 4am having funnily settled for the same tips I had on the bq3.

They've a gorgeous balance to them, clean but still smooth. Nice and open soundstage, not huge but satisfying enough. Better then the bq3.
KB100 is a really good IEM that has passed the test of time. They sound great with Spiral Dots.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #25,164 of 31,833
I have recently reviewed the CVJ CSN, TRN VX and CCA CA16. Now I have just listened to my KZ BA10 fitted with a Faaeal Hibiscus cable and it's way better than all those three! Amazing.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #25,167 of 31,833
Should I take this as KZ has made absolutely no progress since late 2018?
For wired IEMs, KZ recently released the ZST X.
I don't know how good it is yet, though.

Oh, and then there's the ZSX.
That's gotten rave reviews, especially if you like bass.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #25,168 of 31,833
Should I take this as KZ has made absolutely no progress since late 2018?
Well, it does make me think! I prefer the BA10 to all my other KZs so for me that's probably true. ZS7, ZS10 pro and ZSX are excellent as well, though.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #25,169 of 31,833
Well, it does make me think! I prefer the BA10 to all my other KZs so for me that's probably true. ZS7, ZS10 pro and ZSX are excellent as well, though.
At the same time I wonder how long I'll wait till KZ experiments with 4 way crossovers again... Hopefully I won't be a corpse before that happens. Can't be coincidence that a lot if not the majority of summit-fi IEM go for a 4 way. Can it?

Edit: Or anyone could experiment with a sub $100 4 way crossed IEM for that matter.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #25,170 of 31,833
At the same time I wonder how long I'll wait till KZ experiments with 4 way crossovers again... Hopefully I won't be a corpse before that happens. Can't be coincidence that a lot if not the majority of summit-fi IEM go for a 4 way. Can it?
Yes, the ZS7 and BA10 both have 4 way crossovers and they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back