CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #25,006 of 31,833
I will always have a soft spot for these. Rain Song is such a mids/moody immersive track.

I'll try and fix my mmxc connectors and get the A4 up and running again. I swear I can just see myself putting aside expensive gear and be perfectly happy with them

If I might ask what-up with your MMCX? I'm actually listening to this right now, love how hard the bass hits on this! Reminds me of how Mick's kick drum comes in on "World Turning"; you know just cruising along and wham :grin:

Their Calling Me!.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #25,007 of 31,833
Have a pair of Sony MDR 7506 with NVX XRE100A pads that I like very much (mine were used for less than $50 but can be had new for less than $100).

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #25,008 of 31,833
I've been listening to my Blon Bl-03 which I ordered out of curiosity. For its price, I can tell it's one of the best iems I've ever heard so I'm not surprised now that I heard about it a lot. Not the biggest soundstage but quite airy. It lacks sub-bass a bit but tonality and imaging are great. Locating the instruments are very easy and I can tell what is where. I'm not used to get this performance from a headphones which is under 30$.just wow! I cannot listen my FA S4 for long time due to its high mid-range. But with Bl-03, I can listen to it for hours I guess.

I've changed the stock cable with KZ's gold cable that I wasn't using. Sounds like okay but I feel like I can squeeze and get more from these headphones.

Do you guys have any recommendation for a good 8-16 core cable below 50$?I think about going for a copper one. For example from ****.

I wonder if there is a really good alternative to Blon with a very good soundstage and sub-bass - i wouldn't say no to more technical abilities either.

Here I got recommendations about KXXS but I wonder if there are cheaper alternatives for that. Because listening to this guy made me think that everything is possible even with cheap price when it comes to Chi-Fi.
I really like my BL03 with a silver cable, specifically the TRN T3 with 0.78mm 2 pin connector. I also like them best with AZLA Sedna Earfit Light tips. Clarity and soundstage are notably improved. IMO.

For an upgrade to the BL03, I can enthusiastically recommend the ThieAudio Legacy 3. The tuning is quite similar. There is a little less bass quantity but the bass is better defined, more articulate, and more detailed. The technical abilities are definitely better than the BL03’s, but there are BAs, so the timbre, while very good, is still not quite as natural.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #25,009 of 31,833
If I might ask what-up with your MMCX? I'm actually listening to this right now, love how hard the bass hits on this! Reminds me of how Mick's kick drum comes in on "World Turning"; you know just cruising along and wham :grin:

Their Calling Me!.JPG

Hm. Left connector just loses signal. Haven't really cable rolled them much. Daily beaters they were... and perhaps took too much of a beating?
Ofcourse, pictures aside, I'm talking about the good ol lz-a4...

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #25,010 of 31,833
I really like my BL03 with a silver cable, specifically the TRN T3 with 0.78mm 2 pin connector. I also like them best with AZLA Sedna Earfit Light tips. Clarity and soundstage are notably improved. IMO.

For an upgrade to the BL03, I can enthusiastically recommend the ThieAudio Legacy 3. The tuning is quite similar. There is a little less bass quantity but the bass is better defined, more articulate, and more detailed. The technical abilities are definitely better than the BL03’s, but there are BAs, so the timbre, while very good, is still not quite as natural.
I really think that the Blon 03 responds to silver cables. I use a 'NICEHCK LitzPS 4N Litz Pure Silver Earphone Upgrade Cable'. It really seems to solve the bass problem of the Blon 03 and is really inexpensive.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #25,011 of 31,833

I really think that the Blon 03 responds to silver cables. I use a 'NICEHCK LitzPS 4N Litz Pure Silver Earphone Upgrade Cable'. It really seems to solve the bass problem of the Blon 03 and is really inexpensive.
Well, what I know is that silver cable makes the sound brighter meaning that it smooths the bass more and give more sparkle trebles.
Are you sure it's a good match? I was going for a copper cable for the bass and soundstage.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #25,012 of 31,833

KB Ear 16 are good ones (new generation, shiny chrome plated ones).
Any cable below $20 will perfectly do. NiceHCK are very good, but usually more expensive Y...o are OK. Most of these cables are made at the same factory anyway. So just find the best deal for your favourite colour.

Silver, SPC, copper is just a myth IMHO. (Don't start me with the pure copper...) Just choose your favourite colour and be happy with it as long as it fits nice and enables good fit (that what really matters!)

No one ever came up with any graphs to prove their subjective experience with cables: silver, copper, etc, and the resistance below 0.3-0.4 Ohm perfectly do for any IEM with 12+ Ohm impedance.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #25,013 of 31,833
Well, what I know is that silver cable makes the sound brighter meaning that it smooths the bass more and give more sparkle trebles.
Are you sure it's a good match? I was going for a copper cable for the bass and soundstage.
I have a beautiful sounding ISN Audio C16 (copper) and yes it does add substance to my Blon 03. The silver NICEHCK cable takes away the bass bloat and adds a liquid/sheen to playback although the copper cable is 3.5mm and the siver balanced 4 4mm. Both sound good to me but they are very different IMHO. We all have different likes, taste and ideas.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #25,014 of 31,833
KB Ear 16 are good ones (new generation, shiny chrome plated ones).
Any cable below $20 will perfectly do. NiceHCK are very good, but usually more expensive Y...o are OK. Most of these cables are made at the same factory anyway. So just find the best deal for your favourite colour.

Silver, SPC, copper is just a myth IMHO. (Don't start me with the pure copper...) Just choose your favourite colour and be happy with it as long as it fits nice and enables good fit (that what really matters!)

No one ever came up with any graphs to prove their subjective experience with cables: silver, copper, etc, and the resistance below 0.3-0.4 Ohm perfectly do for any IEM with 12+ Ohm impedance.
I've actually had the chance to try out a large variety of cables at a local audio store and I can tell you it's much more complicatedtthan just the resistance of the cables.

I tried a really thick copper cable with lower resistance than a thin silver cable yet the copper cable is still warmer than the silver cable. The material somehow affects the sound in a way you can't measure. Maybe it distorts the sound like a vacuum tube? Or sound affected by the speed of the signal transmission? Maybe some frequencies are attenuated more by copper compared to silver?

Heck even cable length doesn't make sense, a shorter cable should supposedly sound better but I've tried the exact same cable material that's 1.2m and 1.5m and the 1.5m one had a slightly clearer soundstage and a wider stereo effect as well. Cables are just really strange.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #25,015 of 31,833
I've been listening to my Blon Bl-03 which I ordered out of curiosity. For its price, I can tell it's one of the best iems I've ever heard so I'm not surprised now that I heard about it a lot. Not the biggest soundstage but quite airy. It lacks sub-bass a bit but tonality and imaging are great. Locating the instruments are very easy and I can tell what is where. I'm not used to get this performance from a headphones which is under 30$.just wow! I cannot listen my FA S4 for long time due to its high mid-range. But with Bl-03, I can listen to it for hours I guess.

I've changed the stock cable with KZ's gold cable that I wasn't using. Sounds like okay but I feel like I can squeeze and get more from these headphones.

Do you guys have any recommendation for a good 8-16 core cable below 50$?I think about going for a copper one. For example from ****.

I wonder if there is a really good alternative to Blon with a very good soundstage and sub-bass - i wouldn't say no to more technical abilities either.

Here I got recommendations about KXXS but I wonder if there are cheaper alternatives for that. Because listening to this guy made me think that everything is possible even with cheap price when it comes to Chi-Fi.
I'm surprised you hear sub bass lacking. What iems do you find having ample sub bass?

I'm wondering if you prefer to wear the blons with less than a full seal?

**EDIT: I found the nozzles on the blons to be a tad too short, preventing me from getting a good, consistent seal. I eventually removed the ear hook/heat shrink to help position the iems in my ear. After that, sub bass galore.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #25,016 of 31,833
I've actually had the chance to try out a large variety of cables at a local audio store and I can tell you it's much more complicatedtthan just the resistance of the cables.

I tried a really thick copper cable with lower resistance than a thin silver cable yet the copper cable is still warmer than the silver cable. The material somehow affects the sound in a way you can't measure. Maybe it distorts the sound like a vacuum tube? Or sound affected by the speed of the signal transmission? Maybe some frequencies are attenuated more by copper compared to silver?

Heck even cable length doesn't make sense, a shorter cable should supposedly sound better but I've tried the exact same cable material that's 1.2m and 1.5m and the 1.5m one had a slightly clearer soundstage and a wider stereo effect as well. Cables are just really strange.

If we are talking any real evidence - then frequency graphs showing cable differences are the proper way to go.

If the arguments are only "somehow" and "really strange" - then my blue cables are best all the way! :)

Sorry for side tracking the thread...

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #25,017 of 31,833
If we are talking any real evidence - then frequency graphs showing cable differences are the proper way to go.

If the arguments are only "somehow" and "really strange" - then my blue cables are best all the way! :)

Sorry for side tracking the thread...
Not exactly, the same can be said with amps or dacs. They all measure the same on the FR graph yet can sound very different. In cases like these FR plots are simply insufficient and cannot show any differences. The human ear really is amazing and can tell extremely minute differences in sound.

I've been into the whole amp/dac/cable measuring rabbit hole and it's really complicated to say the least. There's not definitive answer and the best way to know if it's good or not is to just listen to them and pick what you like.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #25,018 of 31,833
Not exactly, the same can be said with amps or dacs. They all measure the same on the FR graph yet can sound very different. In cases like these FR plots are simply insufficient and cannot show any differences. The human ear really is amazing and can tell extremely minute differences in sound.

I've been into the whole amp/dac/cable measuring rabbit hole and it's really complicated to say the least. There's not definitive answer and the best way to know if it's good or not is to just listen to them and pick what you like.

I think cables from the Placebo brand are the best whreas the Nocebo ones are frankly horrible.

Seriously though you can't put cables and DAC/Amps on the same footing, there are a number of known factors which affect the sound quality of DAC, amps and associated circuitry whereas there are none for cables.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #25,019 of 31,833

So your take boils down to 'Trust Me'. Sorry, no.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #25,020 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back