CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 14, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #24,241 of 31,833
I'm looking for a pair of IEM's under $50. My listening is a little unusual. It's not music, but "sound art" pieces, which tend to be layered sound, with voice narratives, soundscapes, effects, etc. The most important requirement therefore is soundstage. I'm looking for a lot of space, a lot of air, good placement, imaging. Technical detail is less important.

The other consideration is that I have some inner ear issues and can be very sensitive to treble, or even just an overly bright sound signature.

Reading through this thread and some ChiFi threads, and I've come up with the ****, DT6Pro, the Blon Bl-03, and the CCA C12. It would be great to read recommendations regarding these or others I may have missed. Thanks.

May 14, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #24,242 of 31,833
I'm looking for a pair of IEM's under $50. My listening is a little unusual. It's not music, but "sound art" pieces, which tend to be layered sound, with voice narratives, soundscapes, effects, etc. The most important requirement therefore is soundstage. I'm looking for a lot of space, a lot of air, good placement, imaging. Technical detail is less important.

The other consideration is that I have some inner ear issues and can be very sensitive to treble, or even just an overly bright sound signature.

Reading through this thread and some ChiFi threads, and I've come up with the ****, DT6Pro, the Blon Bl-03, and the CCA C12. It would be great to read recommendations regarding these or others I may have missed. Thanks.
CCA C10 will fit nicely into the selection; C10 is especially great for treble sensitivities, yet being resolving nicely for its price. All other selections are very reasonable, **** is the most "holographic" at the expense of timbre representation.
I happened to have all of them, if you have specific questions.

May 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #24,243 of 31,833
CCA C10 will fit nicely into the selection; C10 is especially great for treble sensitivities, yet being resolving nicely for its price. All other selections are very reasonable, **** is the most "holographic" at the expense of timbre representation.
Isn't the **** a very bright set?

May 14, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #24,244 of 31,833
I would not call **** very bright.
Piezo drivers are minimally engaged to my ears.
NX7 are appreciably more in treble, yet in some aspects NX7 are still quite milder than your "beloved" Tripowin (and my A10). Close to A10 and NX7 in my limited collection are actually Fiio F9pro, quite rich in treble. Actually A10 replaced Fiio when I was listening to some violin recordings.
I do use wide-bore tips (why to constrain the flow), which seem to help moderating the excessive treble to my ears.

May 14, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #24,245 of 31,833

That's really helpful, thank you. I had forgotten the C10. I know I have to compromise because of the treble sensitivity or I would go for the **** (holographic would be great). Also, Amazon has the C10, so I wouldn't have to wait a couple of years for it to arrive :)

May 14, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #24,247 of 31,833

The original one isnt bright, have mid bass bleed very open sound nice airy highs but timbre and tonality is veey off

The **** pro is noticeable brighter, upper mids and trebles are boosted like BA5 but a bit harsher. But timbre and tonality is much better than original one, nothing wrong with tonality for this successor and more details. Still there is some mid bass bleed. But for the price its overall good and you get the idea for piezo for fraction of price

May 14, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #24,248 of 31,833
I have bl03 what would be a good upgrade I would like a little more Bass but without loss in quality under 100$ plz
That is probably extremely tough to find since (To my knowledge anyway) the only IEM that do everything equal or better than the BL03 is the IER-Z1R. So within that budget you'd have to lose something over the BL03.

The one budget IEM that I'd probably want to go along with them is... well I STILL can't decide between the CCA C12, TRN V90 or BQEYZ KB100. The V90 being the bassiest I believe. You may notice that all of these are multi driver set which usually seems to be the approach to retrieving more details overall which is notably the one aspect the BL03 lacks.
I wonder if AS10 would be a good all BA pair.

May 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #24,249 of 31,833
That is probably extremely tough to find since (To my knowledge anyway) the only IEM that do everything equal or better than the BL03 is the IER-Z1R. So within that budget you'd have to lose something over the BL03.

The one budget IEM that I'd probably want to go along with them is... well I STILL can't decide between the CCA C12, TRN V90 or BQEYZ KB100. The V90 being the bassiest I believe. You may notice that all of these are multi driver set which usually seems to be the approach to retrieving more details overall which is notably the one aspect the BL03 lacks.
I wonder if AS10 would be a good all BA pair.
I can do 200$ max

May 14, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #24,250 of 31,833
I can do 200$ max
I had the same question before, some head-fiers suggest ISN D10 which is a good one (thanks to them I am happy with D10). It's definitely an upgrade from bl 03.

May 14, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #24,254 of 31,833
I have bl03 what would be a good upgrade I would like a little more Bass but without loss in quality under 100$ plz

What tips are u using with the BL-03? There is a possibility of getting more bass quantity by using narrower bore eartips eg spinfit CP100. So this is a cost effective option without changing the IEM itself.

U can consider the BLON Cardinal (it is out of production now, but there may be 2nd hand pairs available), it essentially has the same timbre as the BL-03 but with better fit, slightly better technicalities/soundstage, and increased midbass/subbass with the same tips used.

U can also consider the KBEAR Diamond, with the same tips used, it has slightly more midbass than the BL-03, but is an upgrade in all departments over the BL-03 (like timbre, technicalities, isolation, fit) except in soundstage width.

If u want a slightly different tuning, u can consider the TFZ No. 3, mild V shaped, basshead monster. Technicalities better than BL-03, but poorer in timbre and soundstage. Also may be slightly bright in the upper mids region. And highly sensitive, so it hisses with certain sources.

May 14, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #24,255 of 31,833
What tips are u using with the BL-03? There is a possibility of getting more bass quantity by using narrower bore eartips eg spinfit CP100. So this is a cost effective option without changing the IEM itself.

U can consider the BLON Cardinal (it is out of production now, but there may be 2nd hand pairs available), it essentially has the same timbre as the BL-03 but with better fit, slightly better technicalities/soundstage, and increased midbass/subbass with the same tips used.

U can also consider the KBEAR Diamond, with the same tips used, it has slightly more midbass than the BL-03, but is an upgrade in all departments over the BL-03 (like timbre, technicalities, isolation, fit) except in soundstage width.

If u want a slightly different tuning, u can consider the TFZ No. 3, mild V shaped, basshead monster. Technicalities better than BL-03, but poorer in timbre and soundstage. Also may be slightly bright in the upper mids region. And highly sensitive, so it hisses with certain sources.
Using gel tips

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back