CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 7, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #24,196 of 31,867
Okay, thank you for the quick rundown. Do you have anything you would maybe suggest for mostly movie watching and the occasional casual gaming session?

I don't really have a huge amount of experience with chifi. My current selection is just Blon BL-03, TRN V30 and a old but still going strong pair of soundmagic e10 :)

Well, also a pair of Tronsmart Spunky Beats ( Gotta love those names ) for working out.

For movie i use Fiio btr5 + TRN V80 . Blon bl 03 is also a good choice.

May 7, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #24,197 of 31,867
Is the Blons BL-03 just a bad fit in general? I'm thinking of picking up KZ ZS10 Pro and it looks like the nozzle is at least a decent amount longer than on the Blons.

Blons with orings to extend the tips, foam tips, worn over ear or hanging down just don't feel very comfortable. Hanging down while switching left and right helps, but still not all that good :)
Now this may be worth digging this from like 9 pages ago since we're talking about BL-03 fit. When I was talking about the viability of using multi flange eartips on the BL-03 since I saw a video in which they had what looked like a long core double flange tip.
Yes, double and triple flange tips are another method to solve fit problems, due to the extra long length of many multi-flange tips. Especially triple flange Xmas trees, which are really long.

You do have to check the individual tip though, as some 2 and 3 flange tips have a recessed core. You need the ones with the long (non-recessed) core.

Recessed core:
51447E3C-3A19-4002-8A13-322215229EDD.jpeg

Long core:
ADDD4776-AE6C-4C19-9C1C-F7644359155E.jpeg

Unfortunately, Xmas trees are uncomfortable for me, because they are so long they feel like they are inserting into my brain. When I use triple flange tips, I have to trim the top flange off, converting them into DIY double flange tips.

But yeah back to BL-03; if you have fit problems definitely try double or triple flange tips. Or FlipTips, SpinFits, SednaFit (not the Short model though), KZ Starlines, etc. You can also try the o ring trick or the eartip core trick (which is a variation on the o ring trick).

As he(?) mentions, long core tips work wonderfully when the issue is a short nozzle. You may also wanna try long core double flange tips assuming multi flange tip's deep insertion isn't a deal breaker to you.

I also wonder if triple flange tip is a worthwhile attempt for someone who has never had access to a pair, I usually pick large diameter, but otherwise completely ordinary silicon eartips which usually seal with a shallow insertion. They don't fall off despite the shallow insertion either.
IMG_20200507_175159.jpg
These are the urBeats2 from my cousin with the eartips. I don't remember how I found because I tend to hoard trashed eartips. Wonder how this compares to the BL-03 fit wise. Not that I blame anyone for not even wanting to see beats anything, so this could be the most cursed image in the thread for all I know and I should have probably shown the eartips by themselves.

Unrelated: I wonder if someone could explain to me why are the IEMs out of focus despite being at the center of the picture when taken.

May 7, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #24,198 of 31,867
Now this may be worth digging this from like 9 pages ago since we're talking about BL-03 fit. When I was talking about the viability of using multi flange eartips on the BL-03 since I saw a video in which they had what looked like a long core double flange tip.

As he(?) mentions, long core tips work wonderfully when the issue is a short nozzle. You may also wanna try long core double flange tips assuming multi flange tip's deep insertion isn't a deal breaker to you.

I also wonder if triple flange tip is a worthwhile attempt for someone who has never had access to a pair, I usually pick large diameter, but otherwise completely ordinary silicon eartips which usually seal with a shallow insertion. They don't fall off despite the shallow insertion either.
IMG_20200507_175159.jpg
These are the urBeats2 from my cousin with the eartips. I don't remember how I found because I tend to hoard trashed eartips. Wonder how this compares to the BL-03 fit wise. Not that I blame anyone for not even wanting to see beats anything, so this could be the most cursed image in the thread for all I know and I should have probably shown the eartips by themselves.

Unrelated: I wonder if someone could explain to me why are the IEMs out of focus despite being at the center of the picture when taken.
Because the lens cannot focus that close. All lenses have an MFD (minimum focus distance).

May 8, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #24,200 of 31,867
Please share your thoughts on the SQ of the TFZ Queen LTD and whether it is duplicative if one already owns the T2 Galaxy.
I'll answer my own question preliminarily. Think of the T2 Galaxy with a tad less bass excess, a less mid-range recess, airier highs and a tad more efficient (I think), that's the Queen LTD.

Scored the Queen LTD for about $47.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #24,201 of 31,867
I definitely would say it's worth the price difference. They both are somewhat analytical, but the T4 is more neutral, if a bit bright, and more natural sounding. I second the moondrop starfield as another pick, if you like a little more bass/warmer presentation. The Tin Hifi sound isn't for everyone, but if you like it you'll REALLY like it. Sorry this reply took so long, BTW. Crazy times we're in...

So true. I have had the t3's for almost a year now and they continuously grow on me. Still using the stock cable and it is all aging really well, so well built.

I find them nicely balanced with good air and sparkle on the top end as well as being technically superior to my hd6xx and koss porta pro in regards to imaging. Soundstage is sufficiently wide and airy. I find the isolation pretty good. Once I got the seal right with large foam tips, that slap from the DD sounds quite special depending on the song. They also seem to scale well from my sony nw-a55 to my ol dac/atom combo, quite a bit better with stronger bass and refinement (better imaging, lower noise floor, faster attack/decay resulting in blackness between elements in the soundstage)..... more than I thought I would appreciate. They are analytical but don't have the bone dry midrange of the dt770 for example. There is a fluidity there.

Just absurd value like so many of these chi-fi offerings.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #24,202 of 31,867
Next to come: KBEAR KB04. After KB06 and Diamond, I'm looking forward to see how these sound.

May 8, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #24,203 of 31,867
Next to come: KBEAR KB04. After KB06 and Diamond, I'm looking forward to see how these sound.

I would consider the KB04 to be an entry level CHIFI IEM that is suitable for beginners in the CHIFI circuit. CHIFI connoisseurs like you will probably own something better in sound.

It is mildly V shaped, has above average technicalities and good build/comfort, but the upper mids/treble can be occasionally harsh. Timbre is also not the best. But for $30 USD, can't complain much.

May 8, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #24,204 of 31,867
So true. I have had the t3's for almost a year now and they continuously grow on me. Still using the stock cable and it is all aging really well, so well built.

I find them nicely balanced with good air and sparkle on the top end as well as being technically superior to my hd6xx and koss porta pro in regards to imaging. Soundstage is sufficiently wide and airy. I find the isolation pretty good. Once I got the seal right with large foam tips, that slap from the DD sounds quite special depending on the song. They also seem to scale well from my sony nw-a55 to my ol dac/atom combo, quite a bit better with stronger bass and refinement (better imaging, lower noise floor, faster attack/decay resulting in blackness between elements in the soundstage)..... more than I thought I would appreciate. They are analytical but don't have the bone dry midrange of the dt770 for example. There is a fluidity there.

Just absurd value like so many of these chi-fi offerings.
Yes, I'm a T3 fan, too. As you say, very well balanced. I use Spiral Dots on them which give a nice open quality to the sound. The T4 is more analytical and slightly brighter but has amazing detail. I have had problems with the MMCX connection on the T4 though, so it's something to consider. I like them both. Looking forward to their next release!

May 8, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #24,205 of 31,867
I would consider the KB04 to be an entry level CHIFI IEM that is suitable for beginners in the CHIFI circuit. CHIFI connoisseurs like you will probably own something better in sound.

It is mildly V shaped, has above average technicalities and good build/comfort, but the upper mids/treble can be occasionally harsh. Timbre is also not the best. But for $30 USD, can't complain much.
That profile sounds familiar, like the CCA CA4, ZSN Pro and TRN ST1. Perhaps they need to look at modifying the crossover.

May 8, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #24,206 of 31,867

IMG_20200507_175159.jpg

Thank you. I might look into these. I very much prefer foam tips as I have yet to find rubber tips that give me a good seal.

May 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #24,208 of 31,867
Stop me if I'm wrong here, but I'm almost sure VERY few (if any) people prefer rubber over silicon for eartips.
"Silicon" is an chemical element.
"Silicone" is one of the elastomers (rubbers).
Vulcanized poly(isoprene/butadiene), that most commonly referred to as "rubber" (as in tyres), is rarely used to make tips to the best of my knowledge.

May 8, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #24,210 of 31,867
"Silicon" is an chemical element.
"Silicone" is one of the elastomers (rubbers).
Vulcanized poly(isoprene/butadiene), that most commonly referred to as "rubber" (as in tyres), is rarely used to make tips to the best of my knowledge.
I probably should have been really easy to guess, but it just didn't occur to me that the black tips may just be painted black and are not actual rubber. So I guess making tips out of actual rubber is a bad idea, and Im guessing Hemanse wasn't refering to actual rubber either. As for the typo it refers to element no. 14. Doesn't it?

Either way I wonder if there's anything with an even longer core than the CP100. I get the impression that very few tips have a long core rather than a recessed one.

Edit: I think the tips I've shown above have the longest cores yet they're still recessed.

Edit 2: Or maybe the flange itself is very long?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back