CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #22,306 of 31,833
First of all, thank you all for your suggestions. Good first experience with Head-fi :) it's really nice to get so many and varied responses.

It doesn't seem a good idea for me to get the LZ A6 mini right now. I'll first apply the advice of using larger tips, a different cable and possibly a hair dryer to see if I can get a good fit with my KZ AS06.

I'll also read up on the mentioned eartips, the V90s and other suggestions. Where can I find info on good 2-pin replacement cables?

I'm glad we can be helpful. Many of us have been purchasing excessive numbers of Chi-Fi IEMs recently, so know the score about what is what.

I looked at my notes on the V90 to find out what the recommended cables and tips are. Here is what they say:

TRN V90 Accessories

EARTIPS

-Tennmak Turbo Whirlwind Ear tips (or similar) might do them more justice than foam tips

-Spinfit CP145, since the V90s insert pretty deeply.

-JVC Spiral Dots

-TFZ wide bore tips in Large size. "The V90 body is too small and it's impossible to get a seal with regular tips. I usually love TRN tips but they don't work with the V90. TRN really should include a set of large wide bores."

"I've had mine for a week now. I'm amazed at how good they sound. I did run into the issue of not being able to get a seal with normal silicone tips due to the small housings but luckily I have the 14mm wide bores that are included with TFZ iems. There's also a pair in the P1 box and the Tin HiFi T2 box. Lifesavers right there for me. I also found 3 pairs in my old tip graveyard bag from some MEE sets circa 2008."

JVC Spiral Dots are next but there are also a few inexpensive options on Aliexpress.The secret if you're having the fit issue is using a 14mm tip size.

CABLE

-Senlee 8 core single crystal cable for best results.

-TRN T1 so-called "Tiger" cable:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110478221.html

[This one is visually appealing, but it has been noted that the number of cores soldered in may be less than 8].

-TRN T2 Silver-Plated Cable

-Kinboofi 8 Core [which goes down to about $25 during sales]:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956046016.html

-I am using the NiceHCK 8 Core SPC, which is comfortable:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914622984.html

-NiceHCK 8-core copper cable

Most of these cables go on slight or extreme discount during major sales. "Tiger" goes from $8 to less than $7.50, Kinboofi 8-Core should go from $47 to $25, NiceHCK 8-Core SPC goes from $11 to $9.50.

Someone is also pushing the 4-core Litz cable, which is on special today, although I find that most people buy silver-plated cables for the V90.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000515816813.html

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #22,307 of 31,833
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #22,308 of 31,833
I also had to use the wide bore TFZ tips on my V90. Many here might have gotten that suggestion from me a I had no success with any tip until I tried that one. Tennmak Whirwinds didnt give me a seal at all. After that fiasco I found a seller on AE that had the 14mm wide bores in a large quantity for a very reasonable price and purchased around 30 pairs.
89241B28-06D2-4EFF-92E3-A34CAB2D01E1.jpeg

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #22,310 of 31,833
I found the best tips for the Jade Audio EA3 were large shallow wide bore ones

20200102_003942[1].jpg

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #22,311 of 31,833
Hi all, i would like some recommendations if is there are any for what um looking for. I have Cayin N5iiS and flares pro, however i tend to use headphones more.

I was looking for some alternative IEM that is kind of neutral and can give me acess to detail and sweet moda, it can have U shape, but subtle. The Flares Pro defenitly deliver, maybe Im looking for something different, and that i can wear not as deep and flares and was looking to try chifi, as Ia not looking to spend much to try something else, around 60-70 euros and if worth, no more than 150, as im saving for new headphones

I would like to try BA or hybrid, but it can be single DD as are the flares pro. I also Saw etymotic er3xr for 166 euros, but i dont want deep insertion stuff.

Many thanks and happy new year

I'm not a fan of neutral tuning, but the Tin HIFI T2 and T4 have consistently quite good reviews for a neutral set. U can ask the rest as I didn't get them, or check out some reviews about them.

I found the best tips for the Jade Audio EA3 were large shallow wide bore ones

Yep agree 100% with u on the EA3 benefiting from wide bore tips. The default narrower bore black stock tips are bordering on harsh for the lower treble/upper mids. Wider bore tips make these frequencies tamer and much more enjoyable for treble sensitive folks. But I think trebleheads will very much like the default setup as it is.
I just put up an initial impressions on the dedicated Jade Audio thread for a review unit I received: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jad...s-in-ear-earphone.920461/page-7#post-15392149.

I think the EA3 is quite a good set in technicalities, good details, mild V shaped/U shaped tuning. Wide soundstage and excellent timbre. The midbass is a bit muffled, I'm still trying to pair different tips/sources to see if it can be improved. And the upper mids/lower treble is bordering on sibilant/harsh, but this can be easily fixed with a wider bore eartip.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #22,312 of 31,833
Everyone is getting their EA3 already but only mine were still stuck somewhere for almost a month :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #22,313 of 31,833
I'm glad we can be helpful. Many of us have been purchasing excessive numbers of Chi-Fi IEMs recently, so know the score about what is what.

I looked at my notes on the V90 to find out what the recommended cables and tips are. Here is what they say:

TRN V90 Accessories

EARTIPS

-Tennmak Turbo Whirlwind Ear tips (or similar) might do them more justice than foam tips

-Spinfit CP145, since the V90s insert pretty deeply.

-JVC Spiral Dots

-TFZ wide bore tips in Large size. "The V90 body is too small and it's impossible to get a seal with regular tips. I usually love TRN tips but they don't work with the V90. TRN really should include a set of large wide bores."

"I've had mine for a week now. I'm amazed at how good they sound. I did run into the issue of not being able to get a seal with normal silicone tips due to the small housings but luckily I have the 14mm wide bores that are included with TFZ iems. There's also a pair in the P1 box and the Tin HiFi T2 box. Lifesavers right there for me. I also found 3 pairs in my old tip graveyard bag from some MEE sets circa 2008."

JVC Spiral Dots are next but there are also a few inexpensive options on Aliexpress.The secret if you're having the fit issue is using a 14mm tip size.

CABLE

-Senlee 8 core single crystal cable for best results.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110478221.html

[This one is visually appealing, but it has been noted that the number of cores soldered in may be less than 8].

-TRN T2 Silver-Plated Cable

-Kinboofi 8 Core [which goes down to about $25 during sales]:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32956046016.html

-I am using the NiceHCK 8 Core SPC, which is comfortable:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914622984.html

-NiceHCK 8-core copper cable

Most of these cables go on slight or extreme discount during major sales. "Tiger" goes from $8 to less than $7.50, Kinboofi 8-Core should go from $47 to $25, NiceHCK 8-Core SPC goes from $11 to $9.50.

Someone is also pushing the 4-core Litz cable, which is on special today, although I find that most people buy silver-plated cables for the V90.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000515816813.html

agreed, a 16-core SPC cable from the unmentionable Yoyo brand let's it literally shine and the details (and sparkle ?) opens up

other copper cables aren't bad with it either

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #22,314 of 31,833
I also had to use the wide bore TFZ tips on my V90. Many here might have gotten that suggestion from me a I had no success with any tip until I tried that one. Tennmak Whirwinds didnt give me a seal at all. After that fiasco I found a seller on AE that had the 14mm wide bores in a large quantity for a very reasonable price and purchased around 30 pairs.

Oh my god you have a lot of gear.
May I please ask you a question?
what do you think of the TRN BA5s? I was looking at those.
But I’m holding off to give my bank account a rest. But I would like to
Possibly get them. Thank you :)

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #22,316 of 31,833
May I please ask you a question?
what do you think of the TRN BA5s? I was looking at those.
A Blon 03 user recently called them "soul-less". He said they didn't stand out as being unique from any other iem.

Which scares me a bit because the guy tuning the BA5 is doing the Blon 05.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #22,317 of 31,833
A Blon 03 user recently called them "soul-less". He said they didn't stand out as being unique from any other iem.

oh wow. Thanks.
I didn’t know there was a new Blon on the way.
So “soulless” not a good sign. Darn. Well thanks for the heads up.
I’m gonna hold off for a bit then.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #22,318 of 31,833

It was the early TRN 8-core and 6-core cables that had fake wires that weren't soldered.

The Tiger cable does have all 8 cores soldered (as seen in my dissection here).

BE764651-A042-4643-9B1B-C427E9BA8B16.jpeg

The problem with the Tiger cable is detailed here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/trn-impressions-thread.881761/page-64#post-15175746

The quick summary:

1. All 8 of the wires have the same external thickness. However, this is just from the standpoint of the rubber wire insulation. The issue lies with the actual copper conductor wires, once the plastic wire insulation is removed. The 4 transparent yellow wires have a copper conductor core that is generous/‘normal’ thickness. But the 4 solid black wires have a copper conductor core that is barely thicker than a few human hairs.

4878F73C-4F10-4D4A-A686-DBD1DCE90AD0.jpeg

2. Problem #1 is further compounded due to the configuration in which the wires were soldered to each plug terminal. The 4 thick yellow conductors all connect to the + terminals. The paper thin black wires all connect to gnd. This results in poor gnd connectivity (in relation to the + connectivity), and also creates a big resistance imbalance where the + pins have very low resistance and the gnd has a very high resistance.​

It may be an OK cable if you’re only buying it for the cool looks. It is technically a ‘functional cable’ that passes electrons from point A to B. My issue is that corners were cut, and it would have been very easy to make the cable better/differently. It just shows sloppy craftsmanship, which is why I don’t recommend the Tiger cable to anyone. There's too many other better choices available for the same cost.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #22,319 of 31,833
The **** pros have the same fit but with nice rounded edges. I wear them cord down and they fit very nicely, not top heavy that I perceive.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #22,320 of 31,833

A random Joe recently called his beer "soul-less". He said it didn't stand out as being unique from any other beer.

Which scared me a bit, because the bartender that poured his beer was also pouring mine.

It turns out that I ended up loving my beer, and all of my anxiety was for nothing.

I guess the moral of my story is that I really shouldn't be obsessed with 1 random Joe's opinion, and certainly shouldn't let it constantly influence my life. There's 7+ billion other people in the world, and we're all different. What one man finds "soul-less" another may love. There could be a million reasons why, but at the end of the day if I like it then I could care a hill of beans less that someone else doesn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back