CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #21,946 of 31,867
But I have sold off my ZSN Pro to my colleague tho :ksc75smile:

Just keep it in mind for any future earphone you have a similar problem with. It works for any earphone with BA drivers in the nozzle.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #21,947 of 31,867
Just keep it in mind for any future earphone you have a similar problem with. It works for any earphone with BA drivers in the nozzle.
Will do, thanks for the tips man :)

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #21,949 of 31,867
Agree 2 pin is sturdier and more hardy than an MMCX, though I have seen my colleague snap off a 2 pin cable inside the IEM housing before. But I suppose if you don't keep disconnecting and connecting cables frequently from your MMCX IEMs, and just leave the cable be, their lifespan shouldn't be an issue.

Slightly off topic but MMCX is the main reason I won't buy a pair of Solaris.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #21,950 of 31,867
Fun fact: shipping with SingPost to my country gonna take 24-42 days, which gonna take up to one & a half month. Very nice....

But maybe it's still better than the online store where I had purchased my stuff since this september & till now still haven't shipped to me at all :) & can't ask them to refund because of their policy "passion is the key"/their slow shipping

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #21,952 of 31,867
dealing with mmcx connectors for me is easy, chose one cable to your liking (new), put it there and dont change it if possible

I like to cable roll so durability is vital. I could ask Campfire owners if they have had many problems.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #21,953 of 31,867
I can agree about fun hot tuning. Other aspects of the zsn pro is pretty decent except the hot treble
dealing with mmcx connectors for me is easy, chose one cable to your liking (new), put it there and dont change it if possible
Limited painful replacement is synonymous with MMCX indeed!

Since discovering that different colours of cables may psychoacoustically give all the sound palette - I need readily interchangeable connectors, like 2 pins.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #21,954 of 31,867
Slightly off topic but MMCX is the main reason I won't buy a pair of Solaris.

One can smash any type of connectors, even military-grade.

I never had any functional problems with two-pins in more than twenty IEMs.

Insertion/detachment of MMCX is always a pain - feels like two states: too tight or two loose...

For the low voltages and currents of IEMs, there is no point at all, in my opinion, in using MMCX, which has it origin, I believe, in shielded cables.

I dunno if this will help, but I've seen some people buy a MMCX to 2 pin adapter, something like this:

Capture.PNG

There are smaller ones than these, and they're all available on AE and most online shops. Whether it will degrade the audio signal and make the fitting weird/unasthetically pleasing is another story though. Never tried one, so maybe anyone can advise?

I guess these are similar devices to "socket savers" that are used in amps and other stuff to prevent wear and tear of the socket. It might be worth a punt IMO for expensive TOTL IEMs. I'm not a fan of MMCX connectors too, but it's pity that you guys give a miss to some good sounding IEMs just because it has an MMCX connector.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #21,955 of 31,867
I dunno if this will help, but I've seen some people buy a MMCX to 2 pin adapter, something like this:

There are smaller ones than these, and they're all available on AE and most online shops. Whether it will degrade the audio signal and make the fitting weird/unasthetically pleasing is another story though. Never tried one, so maybe anyone can advise?

I guess these are similar devices to "socket savers" that are used in amps and other stuff to prevent wear and tear of the socket. It might be worth a punt IMO for expensive TOTL IEMs. I'm not a fan of MMCX connectors too, but it's pity that you guys give a miss to some good sounding IEMs just because it has an MMCX connector.
I used this adapter on my mmcx cable but one of them had caused the socket very loose, aka it had widened the cable's socket. Also, they are very hard to remove because they are very tiny.
1183955_c50f2d03-8329-4897-ba4f-07b0b774698b_700_700.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #21,956 of 31,867

Yup, I have one for converting mmcx into QDC/Paragraph C:

B81AFFAC-377E-43E8-A618-1DD308CED80A.jpeg

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #21,957 of 31,867
Weirdly enough I thought I was missing something out with the MMCX cables, the main reason being that I heard some people being amazed that it was featured at a certain price point. I myself tried to stay away from it, the free rotation which I heard was a problem to some, was not something which I would tolerate at all. In all views the two pin is more attractive, especially the good ones where they are recessed in a housing, and thus preventing possible damage.
It's good to hear that actually a majority is attracted to the two pin, and prefer it over a MMCX cable.

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #21,958 of 31,867
Weirdly enough I thought I was missing something out with the MMCX cables, the main reason being that I heard some people being amazed that it was featured at a certain price point. I myself tried to stay away from it, the free rotation which I heard was a problem to some, was not something which I would tolerate at all. In all views the two pin is more attractive, especially the good ones where they are recessed in a housing, and thus preventing possible damage.
It's good to hear that actually a majority is attracted to the two pin, and prefer it over a MMCX cable.
free rotating is good sometimes since you can adjust how the cable hook on your ear, but if they keep rotating, it does become annoying as heck

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #21,959 of 31,867
free rotating is good sometimes since you can adjust how the cable hook on your ear, but if they keep rotating, it does become annoying as heck
True, thinking about it, when I was using earphones, the main issue was that each time that I'd take my phone out of my pocket and put it back, the cable would twist.. with MMCX this wouldn't be the case as you could just rotate it and untwist it. Never though about it like this, but people complain about it making a noise when rotating.

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #21,960 of 31,867
I like MMCX. The rotation helps with fit and its just an easy standard. I have never had a single MMCX cable fail either. Have had 3 dual pin cables break. I also hate the numerous different versions of dual pin connectors. Innies, Outies, QDC, TFZ .78 .75 ect.

Btw I had one MMCX connector that was loose and always cut out with certain movements. I rectified the situation by using a very small standard screwdriver and just splaying the middle pole a tiny bit. Rectified the problem and is still perfect to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back