CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 22, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #21,976 of 31,848
ive been tip rolling on the **** to try to get them to a sound i like, with the Symbio W tips (my faves for Tin T2) the **** had way too much bass, with Spiral Dots bass was kinda thin and it sounded V shaped, mids were too recessed. time to try some of my generics.

TRN BA5 is supposed to be here tomorrow which is nice.

i was a big mmcx fan for a while 'cause i don't like the feel of lack of durability on the connector of the only 2pin ive had so far (KZ ZST), but after breaking the mmcx connector on my TRN BT20S by accident within five minutes because it was too tight im starting to swing back around to 2pin.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #21,977 of 31,848
Agree 2 pin is sturdier and more hardy than an MMCX, though I have seen my colleague snap off a 2 pin cable inside the IEM housing before. But I suppose if you don't keep disconnecting and connecting cables frequently from your MMCX IEMs, and just leave the cable be, their lifespan shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah, I just had that happen to me the other day. A family member actually sat on my A6 Mini and it somehow bent the connector so far that it snapped.
1218191849a.jpg

But I've had more issues with MMCX cables overall.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #21,978 of 31,848
Yeah, I think bass heads will probably find it to be bass-lite. The extension is good, though, and the quality, for my tastes, is great. Very fast and tight bass, but with just enough decay to give it body and umph and not sound too dry. For me the quantity is sufficient even for EDM. I didn't feel that way about the T2 at all, even though I liked most of its other qualities. The T4 is definitely more bright and closer to neutralish tonality than the BL-03, which is darker with more bass and less elevated highs.
Agreed, I listen to a lot of electronic music and it’s fine for me. The BL03 just makes everything non-bass harder to hear (my main complaint). I much prefer the more neutral presentation of the T4 for a more complete experience. The rumble is fun but too distracting.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #21,980 of 31,848
Yup, I have one for converting mmcx into QDC/Paragraph C:

Does this adapter change or degrade the sound in any way?

Weirdly enough I thought I was missing something out with the MMCX cables, the main reason being that I heard some people being amazed that it was featured at a certain price point. I myself tried to stay away from it, the free rotation which I heard was a problem to some, was not something which I would tolerate at all. In all views the two pin is more attractive, especially the good ones where they are recessed in a housing, and thus preventing possible damage.
It's good to hear that actually a majority is attracted to the two pin, and prefer it over a MMCX cable.

The recessed 2 pin housing is attractive until.....
you realize that this cable can only work on this type of IEM housing. Which is a pain when you want to use the same cable for other IEMs. I'm not an MMCX fan due to their durability, but what I don't like more is that 2 pin cables come in various permutations, eg para A/B/C, recessed/QDC, 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm. I've resigned myself to just using para B type 2 pin cables (to heck with 0.75/0.78 mm) and just using it for all 2 pin IEMs, though some cables stick out of the housing like a sore thumb.

Do you have a link? I only get the small ones without any cable.

I have the small 2pin-MMCX convertors for testing IEMs but they are a little too long for straight recessed 2pin long term. They are Ok for right angle connectors, though.

There are multiple shops on AE selling it, just type "2 pin Female to MMCX Male" in the search bar.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #21,982 of 31,848
Does this adapter change or degrade the sound in any way?

Not that I've nopticed. Also, the resistance is so low I can't even measure it.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #21,983 of 31,848
It’s always a nice exercise to go back to stuff that once sounded “oh-so-awesome” and compare them to the latest offerings.

Dunu Titan 1, or its rebranded and cheaper version — the Fiio EX1 (the one that I have here, sounds the same), were once highly lauded and often suggested. Since then they have fallen by the wayside, thanks to the insane amount of chi-fi choices in the sub-$100 range. I have been using one myself (intermittently) for over two years. On a whim, I decided to do a full review and compare them with some of the current offerings. Surprisingly, they held on their own on certain aspects. The full review. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23058/

IMG_4797.JPG

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #21,984 of 31,848
I haven't kept up with IEMs for a while. I own KZ ZS10, Tin Audio T2, iBasso IT01 and a couple UiiSii CM5s and still grab the CM5s everytime. Is there anything else with this sound signature? Is any of their new stuff as hype as this was? I haven't heard much about them lately, kind of in the market for wireless now too.

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #21,985 of 31,848
Gave a shot to NS3 from NS Audio at Penons BF price and was very disappointed. Fit is pretty atrocious, the nozzles are fairly long but thick and the shell is big and shaped weird. I managed something resembling a deep fit with a seal with a few of the included tips but it was very uncomfortable after a while. Finally settled on Spiral Dots which gave me seal but a pretty shallow fit that could be disturbed easily.

Sound is another issue:
  • bass is very good: with shallow fit it's quite linear, with deep fit these have monstrous sub bass.
  • There's very little treble to speak of, which makes these sound extremely stuffy. EQ helps though and with a boost the treble is quite nice and smooth.
  • The mids are royally ****ed up. Lower mids are ok, maybe a bit boomy. Upper mids have a bump centering at about 3khz with smaller peak at 3.8khz. The bump starts too early in the center mids and the peak seems to be there to compensate for the lack of treble so everything sounds so bad. Like $10 pocket radio from the 60's bad. Everything is covered with a thick layer of grain that's grating and fatiguing to listen to. Maybe there's a genre that works with this tuning, don't care to find out.
  • Soundstage/imaging/separation are all meh.
Accessories are decent enough for the price, shame they sound like ass.

2/5.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #21,986 of 31,848
These are irresistible recommendations, and there are plenty of other people waxing lyrical about them as well (and I have big ears so no worries on the size front). Thank you :ksc75smile:.

My current go-to off the back of all the glowing write ups here are KZ ZSX, which have been a complete revelation, beautifully balanced and musical presentation once I found the right tips to extend the sub bass (Tennmak Whirlwinds worked for me (over Spiral Dots), which are very like Azla Sednas for bass extension, but don’t boost mids and have a much shorter bore). Medium sized but crystal clear soundstage, decent isolation and they fit like a dream. Very nice.

Obligatory pic:
I see you have silver-plated cables installed as well, which made a BIG difference revealing the best I've heard from KZ by far, too!

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #21,988 of 31,848
It's funny you asked! After discovering the ZSX sounds awesome with silver plated cables? The same silver-plated cables made the C12 sound too bright! So, after swapping different cables, the C12 sounds best with copper cables, while the ZSX sounds best with silver-plated cables. The ZSX digs deep with sub-bass and depth, while maintaining a great wide soundstage and plenty of non-harsh details on top. The C12 sounds great with an overall wide soundstage presence with plenty of height and plenty of details! They just sound slightly different to each other and I like both of them equally at the moment! But, overall, I give the edge on comfort to the C12, though, I give the edge on totally fun experience to the ZSX. Choices, choices, choices!

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #21,989 of 31,848
I have recently purchased the BQEYZ BQ3 and am finding it excellent for electronic music. This track sounded better than ever on the BQ3:

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #21,990 of 31,848
I see you have silver-plated cables installed as well, which made a BIG difference revealing the best I've heard from KZ by far, too!

I hadn’t even tried them with copper but holy **** you’re right! Bass gets boomy and bleeds everywhere and mids have funky spikes (relatively). SPC gives them a much more reference-like sound.

Put it down to luck on my part that I got it right first time. NiceHCK C16-1s are my best 2-pin cables, so that’s what I used :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back