CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 22, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #21,931 of 31,867
Looking back at the Fiio's FH1 reviews, which was the predecessor of the Jade Audio EA3. Most of the reviewers say it was a bass-heavy IEM but some comments on their official thread say it was sibilance prone IEM which is weird.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #21,932 of 31,867
Looking back at the fiio FH1 which was the predecessor of the Jade Audio EA3. Most reviews say it was a bass-heavy IEM but some comments on their official thread say it was sibilance prone IEM which is weird.
I have FH1, I bought it in my "pre ChiFi" :)wink:) period largely based on the looks - "an eye in a ear" :)

FH1 has an emphasized (if not bloated) bass. Then Knowles BA of FH1 does quite respectful job in smoothness and reaching reasonable highs.

The "sibilance talk" likely came from bass- oriented people moving from from bass-heavy DDs and who did not experience BAs before and started to feel the treble :wink:

For me the crossover in FH1 became its weakest point, in some string quartets it became very obvious.

Also, in my limited judgement, ZSN and ZSN pro are very much in the same league as FH1, and I personally prefer the signature, look and feel of CCA CA4 to DH1 (my preferred simple hybrid).

With EA3, Fiio is definitely moving in the right direction: more realistic price, 2-pin instead of MMCX (I personally will not buy any MMCX after experiencing how 2 pin is superior in every way. I strongly feel there is no excuse to use MMCX these days).

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #21,933 of 31,867
I have FH1, I bought it in my "pre ChiFi" :)wink:) period largely based on the looks - "an eye in a ear" :)

FH1 has an emphasized (if not bloated) bass. Then Knowles BA of FH1 does quite respectful job in smoothness and reaching reasonable highs.

The "sibilance talk" likely came from bass- oriented people moving from from bass-heavy DDs and who did not experience BAs before and started to feel the treble :wink:

For me the crossover in FH1 became its weakest point, in some string quartets it became very obvious.

Also, in my limited judgement, ZSN and ZSN pro are very much in the same league as FH1, and I personally prefer the signature, look and feel of CCA CA4 to DH1 (my preferred simple hybrid).

With EA3, Fiio is definitely moving in the right direction: more realistic price, 2-pin instead of MMCX (I personally will not buy any MMCX after experiencing how 2 pin is superior in every way. I strongly feel there is no excuse to use MMCX these days).
Well, I hope EA3's treble is not going to be as hot as the ZSN Pro or I'm going to regret myself getting two pair of this.

Edit: I saw on youtube that BGGR is loving the FH1 by giving a green tick on his video

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #21,934 of 31,867

Agree 2 pin is sturdier and more hardy than an MMCX, though I have seen my colleague snap off a 2 pin cable inside the IEM housing before. But I suppose if you don't keep disconnecting and connecting cables frequently from your MMCX IEMs, and just leave the cable be, their lifespan shouldn't be an issue.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #21,935 of 31,867
Agree 2 pin is sturdier and more hardy than an MMCX, though I have seen my colleague snap off a 2 pin cable inside the IEM housing before. But I suppose if you don't keep disconnecting and connecting cables frequently from your MMCX IEMs, and just leave the cable be, their lifespan shouldn't be an issue.
One can smash any type of connectors, even military-grade.

I never had any functional problems with two-pins in more than twenty IEMs.

Insertion/detachment of MMCX is always a pain - feels like two states: too tight or two loose...

For the low voltages and currents of IEMs, there is no point at all, in my opinion, in using MMCX, which has it origin, I believe, in shielded cables.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #21,936 of 31,867
The only advantage I see with MMCX is that there is only one standard of MMCX, so all MMCX cables works. Meanwhile 2 pins have either 0.75 or 0.78mm sizes and then there is like 4 different types of 2 pins.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #21,937 of 31,867
Well, I hope EA3's treble is not going to be as hot as the ZSN Pro or I'm going to regret myself getting two pair of this.

Edit: I saw on youtube that BGGR is loving the FH1 by giving a green tick on his video
They extended the treble in EA3 compared to FH1, judging by the frequency response graphs. Hopefully real life is better than the graphs :)

I learned to judge different reviews cautiously....

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #21,938 of 31,867
One can smash any type of connectors, even military-grade.

I never had any functional problems with two-pins in more than twenty IEMs.

Insertion/detachment of MMCX is always a pain - feels like two states: too tight or two loose...

For the low voltages and currents of IEMs, there is no point at all, in my opinion, in using MMCX, which has it origin, I believe, in shielded cables.
Yeah, it"s kinda lazy sometimes for me to change MMCX cable compared to two pins. It took so much more effort just to unplug it.

The thing is when I use an adapter on it & remove the adapter from my mmcx cable, the port become very loose when I connect it to my iem. The cable can easily turn (wouldn't stay put like it used to be)

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #21,939 of 31,867
They extended the treble in EA3 compared to FH1, judging by the frequency response graphs. Hopefully real life is better than the graphs :)

I learned to judge different reviews cautiously....
Hope so, I disliked the zsn pro because of the harsh treble & sibilance & need to eq it to lessen them

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #21,941 of 31,867
The only advantage I see with MMCX is that there is only one standard of MMCX, so all MMCX cables works. Meanwhile 2 pins have either 0.75 or 0.78mm sizes and then there is like 4 different types of 2 pins.
Ideally, then there are several special MMCX and also some MMCX do not fit easily due to manufacturing tolerances.
For 2-pins the desire to have unique connectors and sell more cables is the same I guess...

I wish "paragraph B" would become the universal standard.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #21,942 of 31,867
Hope so, I disliked the zsn pro because of the harsh treble & sibilance & need to eq it to lessen them
I agree ZSN pro is a bit hot, for me it is fun hot tuning :)

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #21,943 of 31,867
I agree ZSN pro is a bit hot, for me it is fun hot tuning :)
I can agree about fun hot tuning. Other aspects of the zsn pro is pretty decent except the hot treble

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #21,944 of 31,867
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #21,945 of 31,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back