CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 30, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #21,362 of 31,833
I understand that. I am very well aware that CCA is a parent company to KZ. So here's my deal with them, their housings/shells are larger then let's say TRN V90, I myself don't have big ears so I am uncertain with that. I did say that I would buy the ZSX if it wasn't out of my budget, I could get it if I stretched my budget, and I praised it based on Nimweth's review, the description that was used on it was something which I relied to find the other options. I hope this clears things up and doesn't offend anybody.
I feel like the options I have come down to are pretty well off, and if I keep stretching my budget I won't get anywhere. So I set myself the limit to 30$ with the exception that the sound of that pair is "drastically" better than the options at a lower price point. So far all the options are below 25, which makes me satisfied.

I am clearly unsure with my choice, and the C12 may very well be what I am looking for. However from what I have noticed the TRN, BQEYZ and LZ do seem to pay more attention to tuning and thus make it easier for me to have trust in the mentioned products.

I was surprised by the size of the box and of the IEMs themselves when I received the C12. THEY ARE TINY! On videos and pics they appear huge, but not as large as the ZSX. I skipped those because I feared they wouldn't fit. It turns out, I was strongly mistaken. The C12 are anyway, the most comfortable IEMs in my collection. They do not move about like my IT01 and stay locked in place. BAss is too clean for my liking...I would have prefered the blon or **** type of bass.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #21,363 of 31,833
I definitely did not consider them, again I possibly got the wrong image that they are too hyped and that there are better options for a better price. They are amazing for mids, aren't they? And they are alse in the upper price range compared to other IEM's that I have found so their price would need to be justified.

You directed me to a great question. I am no audiophile and thus explaining what I like may be misleading. The simplest way to categorize my musical taste would be heavy vocals with deep and punchy low end. I also am a fan when the bass hits and has a punch, however sometimes it's boomy and I just can't listen to music to longer periods of time (but it might be that I'm listening to a very bass heavy song). I think my list of importance would be very much like yours however I am in a heavy debate which one is more important the bass or the vocals, I am thinking that I would somewhat put the vocals first. Like I stated I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, I wouldn't wan't the bass to be too overwhelming where it eats the mids and vocals, but I still like it to be defined, with texture and with punch. I thought that vocals are in the mids, so I am kind of confused how to separate those two. Boomy and muddy bass is definitely what I'm not trying to go for. I only had experience with the cheap stock earphones, except the Brainwavz Delta's so it's not like I can use the vocabulary to describe what I am looking for precisely. For example in Bohemian Rhapsody at the mark 2:20 the (drums?) need to have a texture so they don't sound flat, as though they are one continuous sound. I'll try to describe it better as in terms that my ears can know that the drums have been hit 3 times (in the 2:20 mark) so I'm assuming the sound needs to have the punch for that to be done. I always feel lost and helpless in the audio segment because I am aware of the vocabulary, but I myself don't know how to use it and describe what I am looking for.
Some other songs which I think could help others help me, and I hope they don't confuse you even more-

Partynextdoor - Spiteful (from mark 1:40-1:50 the bass hits, and at 1:49 extending to 1:50 it hits even harder) so for there the bass should have some definition but not be so hard that you cannot listen to it.
Black Atlass - If they only knew (the song is sang in a high male tone and contains not too pronounced low end)
Or for instance Lana Del Rey's vocals mixed with the dark cinematic like music.
I find myself often enjoying The Weeknd (Call out my name has decent bass and vocals, Odd Look again a mix of raised male vocals with a electronic music, High For This - same etc.) His song The Birds Pt.1 is another example of my love for both vocals and dark-like music.

*sigh* I honestly feel like I am confusing more poeple and annoying them with my constant questions rather than helping both them and myself. It feels like I am trying to say something but am failing to do it, it's that uncomfortable feeling like claustrophobia when you want to get out buy you can't.

I noticed that they are on a massive discount that's why I mentioned them. If you can let me know how the Z05A's compare to other IEM's and in which price range he would place the competition that these have.

note: I do have the need to apologize if it seems like I am taking a piss on everybody's opinion and recommendations, which I am not. I am trying to understand and figure out which one would please me the most, and like I said when I started my activity one here, I tend to go way too far with that. I myself think that my expectations are way too high and that I am suffocating this thread, so it feels bad to keep doing it.

You know the best person here that can give you first hand knowledge of the LZ's, because he has most of them is @peter123
Not sure if he has me on ignore, but you may want to call on him and have him give you a run down on the Z04A and the Z05A and what would be best for R&B, Rock, Trap/Modern Rap.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #21,364 of 31,833
I am not looking for extreme isolation, my main concern is sound leakage. I am already having a hard time with deciding between TRN V90, BQEYZ K1, and the LZ Z05A. I am aware that buying even both of those could be a plus, but since I am already convinced that these higher budget options are way better, I'll let it be. Either way I only have two more days to make a firm decision.

I can really vouch for the excellent sound isolation of the ZS4 and I don't personally think there was any real sound leakage especially if you listen at quiet-moderate levels (I find that to be true for most IEMs). I thought I'd finally found my budget IEM for the bus in terms of cheap+high isolation but they started to hurt after a few minutes cos of a part that sticks out hurting the Concha Cymba part of the ear.

I personally don't care anymore about the sound signature cos I only use IEMs on the bus and stick to earbuds at home so I'm still on the lookout for the right commuting IEM and have resorted to ordering a bunch of cheap randoms that have a smaller shell on AE but I can for sure say that if you want good isolation for cheap then the ZS4 will do the job very well, assuming they don't hurt your ear.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #21,365 of 31,833
Heck I got the kz zs5 first and ccac c10 afterwards. I thought the c10 is better but now I prefer zs5 because it sounds more neutral. c10 has more detail but also has a treble boost? which I can't bear for long term use.
What is the term for high pitch sound (eg. referee whistle)?
Don't know about c12 though.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #21,366 of 31,833
I can really vouch for the excellent sound isolation of the ZS4 and I don't personally think there was any real sound leakage especially if you listen at quiet-moderate levels (I find that to be true for most IEMs). I thought I'd finally found my budget IEM for the bus in terms of cheap+high isolation but they started to hurt after a few minutes cos of a part that sticks out hurting the Concha Cymba part of the ear.

I personally don't care anymore about the sound signature cos I only use IEMs on the bus and stick to earbuds at home so I'm still on the lookout for the right commuting IEM and have resorted to ordering a bunch of cheap randoms that have a smaller shell on AE but I can for sure say that if you want good isolation for cheap then the ZS4 will do the job very well, assuming they don't hurt your ear.

I found the TRN IM2 ($14 - 15 usd during sales) is not too bad for isolation and commuting. Deep V shaped, great resin built shell, comfortable. It does most areas well but nothing super excellent. Detilas/techinicalities not bad, not fatiguing too and can be basshead.

The mids are too recessed for me and it has an artificial timbre for acoustic instruments (almost as bad as **** IMHO), but otherwise for the price, good allrounder.

I think it would make a good starter set for those new to the hobby, but for those who have a collection of CHIFI already, you'd probably have something that outshines the TRN IM2. It's my backup transit set for now.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #21,367 of 31,833
@voja The term "bass leakage" is usually (but not always) used to refer to the upper bass overlapping with the lower mids and giving a slightly "confused" sound.
The sound signature of the TRN is slightly V shaped but it isn't as pronounced as on a lot of stuff I have.
Honestly, for the money I think the CCA C12 and TRN V90 are as good as it gets. Sure other IEMs do slightly better with some genres but they're both good all rounders.

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #21,368 of 31,833
Heck I got the kz zs5 first and ccac c10 afterwards. I thought the c10 is better but now I prefer zs5 because it sounds more neutral. c10 has more detail but also has a treble boost? which I can't bear for long term use.
What is the term for high pitch sound (eg. referee whistle)?
Don't know about c12 though.

@zenki , I have read that the c10 can be sibilant (having harsh hissing or shrieking treble), but the C12 has elevated, but smooth treble. This is why I'm looking forward to the C12 I have ordered.

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #21,369 of 31,833
I definitely did not consider them, again I possibly got the wrong image that they are too hyped and that there are better options for a better price. They are amazing for mids, aren't they? And they are alse in the upper price range compared to other IEM's that I have found so their price would need to be justified.

You directed me to a great question. I am no audiophile and thus explaining what I like may be misleading. The simplest way to categorize my musical taste would be heavy vocals with deep and punchy low end. I also am a fan when the bass hits and has a punch, however sometimes it's boomy and I just can't listen to music to longer periods of time (but it might be that I'm listening to a very bass heavy song). I think my list of importance would be very much like yours however I am in a heavy debate which one is more important the bass or the vocals, I am thinking that I would somewhat put the vocals first. Like I stated I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, I wouldn't wan't the bass to be too overwhelming where it eats the mids and vocals, but I still like it to be defined, with texture and with punch. I thought that vocals are in the mids, so I am kind of confused how to separate those two. Boomy and muddy bass is definitely what I'm not trying to go for. I only had experience with the cheap stock earphones, except the Brainwavz Delta's so it's not like I can use the vocabulary to describe what I am looking for precisely. For example in Bohemian Rhapsody at the mark 2:20 the (drums?) need to have a texture so they don't sound flat, as though they are one continuous sound. I'll try to describe it better as in terms that my ears can know that the drums have been hit 3 times (in the 2:20 mark) so I'm assuming the sound needs to have the punch for that to be done. I always feel lost and helpless in the audio segment because I am aware of the vocabulary, but I myself don't know how to use it and describe what I am looking for.
Some other songs which I think could help others help me, and I hope they don't confuse you even more-

Partynextdoor - Spiteful (from mark 1:40-1:50 the bass hits, and at 1:49 extending to 1:50 it hits even harder) so for there the bass should have some definition but not be so hard that you cannot listen to it.
Black Atlass - If they only knew (the song is sang in a high male tone and contains not too pronounced low end)
Or for instance Lana Del Rey's vocals mixed with the dark cinematic like music.
I find myself often enjoying The Weeknd (Call out my name has decent bass and vocals, Odd Look again a mix of raised male vocals with a electronic music, High For This - same etc.) His song The Birds Pt.1 is another example of my love for both vocals and dark-like music.

*sigh* I honestly feel like I am confusing more poeple and annoying them with my constant questions rather than helping both them and myself. It feels like I am trying to say something but am failing to do it, it's that uncomfortable feeling like claustrophobia when you want to get out buy you can't.

I noticed that they are on a massive discount that's why I mentioned them. If you can let me know how the Z05A's compare to other IEM's and in which price range he would place the competition that these have.

note: I do have the need to apologize if it seems like I am taking a piss on everybody's opinion and recommendations, which I am not. I am trying to understand and figure out which one would please me the most, and like I said when I started my activity one here, I tend to go way too far with that. I myself think that my expectations are way too high and that I am suffocating this thread, so it feels bad to keep doing it.
I get very low isolation with the Tin T2. I also find the bass is too quiet to pick up all the details unless you use EQ, but YMMV.

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #21,370 of 31,833
You know the best person here that can give you first hand knowledge of the LZ's, because he has most of them is @peter123
Not sure if he has me on ignore, but you may want to call on him and have him give you a run down on the Z04A and the Z05A and what would be best for R&B, Rock, Trap/Modern Rap.
I sent him a PM, hope he sees it and responds. Thank you!

I think that I am coming to realization that I should throw the KB1's out. So the C12 seems like a good option, and the V90's as well. I'm still gaining info about the LZ Z05A.

I just found out about the **** V2 (version 3). They seem to be a better option than the T2 and also come with a silver plated cable. I'd appreciate if anybody would give me their 2 cents on should I consider these besides the above mentioned models.

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #21,371 of 31,833
I sent him a PM, hope he sees it and responds. Thank you!

I think that I am coming to realization that I should throw the KB1's out. So the C12 seems like a good option, and the V90's as well. I'm still gaining info about the LZ Z05A.

I just found out about the **** V2 (version 3). They seem to be a better option than the T2 and also come with a silver plated cable. I'd appreciate if anybody would give me their 2 cents on should I consider these besides the above mentioned models.

I have V2 rev 3 and it has a very slow and boomy bass, even narrow bore tips can't contain it, it's way overdone and has pretty bad texture and speed imo.

The T2 is a much better option for acoustic music.

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #21,372 of 31,833
I'm also about to buy CCA12 but cannot work out which connectors they have. It looks like 0.75 hooded: is that QDC? I could still use a straight 0.75 cable but would there be too much vertical height to the post and connector?

The straight 0.75 would be more versatile for other IEMS though.

I'm in for a 16core copper cable from nicehck......

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #21,373 of 31,833
Quick report on FAAEAL Hibiscus:
Hour 1: dry, scratchy, messy soundstage, vocals showed some promise (but too many jarring elements around them). Not enough bass. I’m a bit worried at this point :)
Hour 24: they’ve settled down into a very mid centric presentation that’s strong on vocals and guitars (all the emotion is there), much better sound stage / separation (but not super clear, layering is not the best). Still not enough bass extension, though what’s there is fast and tight. Tone is good though, throughout.
They’re doing well with what I bought them for (“traditional” stuff...Bach cello suites sounding particularly good), which was vocals, and they’re back on burn in, but I think I’d have preferred something with slightly less emphasis on the mids. Hopefully there’s still room for improvement over time, But I think the signature has established itself, for better or worse.
03E79ED1-7316-47FA-8428-10B97EE082FF.jpeg

No complaints about the cable though, that thing is fab!

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #21,374 of 31,833
Quick report on FAAEAL Hibiscus:
Hour 1: dry, scratchy, messy soundstage, vocals showed some promise (but too many jarring elements around them). Not enough bass. I’m a bit worried at this point :)
Hour 24: they’ve settled down into a very mid centric presentation that’s strong on vocals and guitars (all the emotion is there), much better sound stage / separation (but not super clear, layering is not the best). Still not enough bass extension, though what’s there is fast and tight. Tone is good though, throughout.
They’re doing well with what I bought them for (“traditional” stuff...Bach cello suites sounding particularly good), which was vocals, and they’re back on burn in, but I think I’d have preferred something with slightly less emphasis on the mids. Hopefully there’s still room for improvement over time, But I think the signature has established itself, for better or worse.

No complaints about the cable though, that thing is fab!

This is extremely reassuring to hear :) I'm glad that it all seems to be shaping up to be what I had come to expect in placing my order for one of these (mids/vocal centric, good tone), in addition to the great looks, great cable and anime girl :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #21,375 of 31,833
I was surprised by the size of the box and of the IEMs themselves when I received the C12. THEY ARE TINY! On videos and pics they appear huge, but not as large as the ZSX. I skipped those because I feared they wouldn't fit. It turns out, I was strongly mistaken. The C12 are anyway, the most comfortable IEMs in my collection. They do not move about like my IT01 and stay locked in place. BAss is too clean for my liking...I would have prefered the blon or **** type of bass.
I agree. As I mentioned in my reviews of the C12 and ZSX, the C12 is tuned more like an all BA model whereas the ZSX sounds more like a DD IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back