CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #20,836 of 31,833
Considering I missed the bulk of the coupons and the sale prices aren't amazing I've pretty much settled on the BLON BL-03, cable to go with (haven't nailed down what one but probably straight ends so that I can use them as a straight down pair even if/when I get a set I like better later), and a bunch of different tip types and sizes to facilitate future tip rolling. Then wait for reviews & future sales for anything else, like Hibiscus.

So with the list almost done I can stop clogging up this thread with my questions... after one more:
Has anyone seen any must have deals for 11.11 for a newcomer that would compliment the BL-03s with a different sound signature? Or am I pretty much good to grab these now and then wait? Genres are primarily electronic synth wavy stuff and J-Rock (often female vocals).

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #20,837 of 31,833
Considering I missed the bulk of the coupons and the sale prices aren't amazing I've pretty much settled on the BLON BL-03, cable to go with (haven't nailed down what one but probably straight ends so that I can use them as a straight down pair even if/when I get a set I like better later), and a bunch of different tip types and sizes to facilitate future tip rolling. Then wait for reviews & future sales for anything else, like Hibiscus.

So with the list almost done I can stop clogging up this thread with my questions... after one more:
Has anyone seen any must have deals for 11.11 for a newcomer that would compliment the BL-03s with a different sound signature? Or am I pretty much good to grab these now and then wait? Genres are primarily electronic synth wavy stuff and J-Rock (often female vocals).

IMHO BLON BL-03 is not the best option for electronic synth, especially if there is lots of complex instrumentation and fast riffs. It loses out in these areas compared to some hybrids/dedicated multi BA sets.
The BLON is more analogue sounding and excels at timbre and tonality for acoustic instruments and slower genres. It will do well in stuff like jazz, classical, acoustic, vocals.

U can consider the **** (triple hybrid driver) for rock and EDM. It has great soundstage, clarity, details and instrument separation. Great subbass extension too. Retails $16 USD during sale now, worn cable down. It is a bit lacking in timbre for acoustic instruments, but it will do well for rock and EDM IMO, and will be a great complimentary sound to the BLON.
There's an upgraded version called the **** Pro that just released, it has an extra BA driver, and is almost double the price. Nobody has a set yet to give a review though.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #20,838 of 31,833
IMHO BLON BL-03 is not the best option for electronic synth, especially if there is lots of complex instrumentation and fast riffs. It loses out in these areas compared to some hybrids/dedicated multi BA sets.
The BLON is more analogue sounding and excels at timbre and tonality for acoustic instruments and slower genres. It will do well in stuff like jazz, classical, acoustic, vocals.

U can consider the **** (triple hybrid driver) for rock and EDM. It has great soundstage, clarity, details and instrument separation. Great subbass extension too. Retails $16 USD during sale now, worn cable down. It is a bit lacking in timbre for acoustic instruments, but it will do well for rock and EDM IMO, and will be a great complimentary sound to the BLON.
There's an upgraded version called the **** Pro that just released, it has an extra BA driver, and is almost double the price. Nobody has a set yet to give a review though.

Ah ok, BL-03 excels at genres I'm not listening to often. Would you say it would at least be good with an album like this? I admit I do kind of want to buy in anyway just because of hype, and the price isn't that much even considering cost of cable which might not get used for anything else (not sure how common 2 pin is). :p
Assuming the **** Pro is similar enough to the original to be good for my genres, even at double the price it looks very attractive to me.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #20,840 of 31,833
Ah ok, BL-03 excels at genres I'm not listening to often. Would you say it would at least be good with an album like this? I admit I do kind of want to buy in anyway just because of hype, and the price isn't that much even considering cost of cable which might not get used for anything else (not sure how common 2 pin is). :p
Assuming the **** Pro is similar enough to the original to be good for my genres, even at double the price it looks very attractive to me.

Just my 2 cents, I play in a band every few weeks so from briefly listening to your track, it is quite a technical piece with the drummer doing lots of ghost notes and technical stuff and some complex instrumentation going on elsewhere. IMHO, the BLON will be a bit muddy with it, it may struggle to keep up with the music during multiple instrumentation and some micro details may be lost.
I do think the BLON is not the best option for it.

For tracks like this, u can consider some multi BA/hybrids like the ****, KZ ZSX, TRN V90, CCA C12. They'll probably fair better for instrument separation, details and clarity, though they may not be as tonally correct or have as good timbre.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #20,842 of 31,833

Maybe you can try the TFZ T2 galaxy

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #20,843 of 31,833
God **** pros really look awful from these pictures lol.... reminds me of the Sony ex650 I have that's covered in rust

upload_2019-11-11_4-18-58.png

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #20,844 of 31,833
God **** pros really look awful from these pictures lol.... reminds me of the Sony ex650 I have that's covered in rust

That do looks like those cheap iems tho. Even though now even cheap IEM also still look very good now.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #20,846 of 31,833

Couldnt agree more the retro looks they are chasing made like the IEM founded from junkyard, like rusty old steampunk piece. The newer black one looks the best for me (the black option came a bit late to the party)

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #20,847 of 31,833
Couldnt agree more the retro looks they are chasing made like the IEM founded from junkyard, like rusty old steampunk piece. The newer black one looks the best for me (the black option came a bit late to the party)

Look like an old fashioned hair dryer

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #20,848 of 31,833

They (and the TRN v90 to some extend) looks like it's coming out of 50's sci-fis... reminds me of those Fallout games too :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #20,849 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back