CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 14, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #2,071 of 31,834
  I just received the VE Asura 2.0 (2.5TRRS) & VE Monk Plus (2.5TRRS) "Espresso" in the mail today.  Venture Electronics included a standard set of VE Monk Plus (3.5TRS), as a gift.  While I have listened briefly to all of them, I haven't done any critical comparisons, yet.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Please share impressions of the Asura.  For the price, the Monks can't be beat - I especially love the balanced versions (though in fairness that may be because I listen to them primarily with an LH Labs GO V2 Infinity, and the balanced output is rumored to be much better than the SE).  I've been unable to pull the trigger on the higher end VE models........ though for the amount of money I've spent collecting the different colors, I probably could have bought one of their higher-end models! 
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2,072 of 31,834
The VE Monk Plus (3.5TRS) can be connected directly to the single-ended output on my Onkyo DP-X1, and the VE Monk Plus (2.5TRRS) "Espresso" comes with an adapter cable (3.5mm TRS Plug to 2.5mm TRRS Jack), so it can also be connected to the same output.  I'm using the "doughnut" foams on both earbuds.  No EQ used in the Onkyo Music app, and the Digital Filter is set to Sharp.

I'm looping on the track "Miserere", from Out of Time and Country (24-bit, 176.4-KHz) [ http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=167 ], and switching back & forth between the Espresso Monk Plus and the standard Monk Plus. To me, the differences are very subtle, but the Espresso model seems to have a slightly more open sound stage.  It just doesn't seem like the overall sound of the Monk Plus is affected very much by the difference in cables, when connected to the single-ended output.

However, when I connect the balanced cable of the Espresso model to the balanced output of the DP-X1 (and doing my best to match volume levels), the they do sound better.  The Bass impact seems deeper, and the sound stage seems wider.

Take Care,
David Baldock

I saw the Espresso version of the Monk plus on Ali as well (there is a package for $30 - which I believe contains the balanced adapter as well). I do not have any experience with the balanced output (I just gotten the Opus #1, which as a balanced jack). Will it work with any IEMs/earbuds with the standard 3.5mm plug?

Will balanced output have a significant difference from your standard output?

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2,073 of 31,834
Please share impressions of the Asura.  For the price, the Monks can't be beat - I especially love the balanced versions (though in fairness that may be because I listen to them primarily with an LH Labs GO V2 Infinity, and the balanced output is rumored to be much better than the SE).  I've been unable to pull the trigger on the higher end VE models........ though for the amount of money I've spent collecting the different colors, I probably could have bought one of their higher-end models!  :p

Yeah it can only be used at home and not during commuting. Sound quality no comments as I've tried it on my Pioneer DAP and pull it out after 60s of usage. Passed my Tennmak Pro to my friend who has the Monk and he asked me where to purchase it

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2,075 of 31,834
The VE Monk Plus (3.5TRS) can be connected directly to the single-ended output on my Onkyo DP-X1, and the VE Monk Plus (2.5TRRS) "Espresso" comes with an adapter cable (3.5mm TRS Plug to 2.5mm TRRS Jack), so it can also be connected to the same output.  I'm using the "doughnut" foams on both earbuds.  No EQ used in the Onkyo Music app, and the Digital Filter is set to Sharp.

I'm looping on the track "Miserere", from Out of Time and Country (24-bit, 176.4-KHz) [ http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=167 ], and switching back & forth between the Espresso Monk Plus and the standard Monk Plus. To me, the differences are very subtle, but the Espresso model seems to have a slightly more open sound stage.  It just doesn't seem like the overall sound of the Monk Plus is affected very much by the difference in cables, when connected to the single-ended output.

However, when I connect the balanced cable of the Espresso model to the balanced output of the DP-X1 (and doing my best to match volume levels), the they do sound better.  The Bass impact seems deeper, and the sound stage seems wider.

Take Care,
David Baldock

I saw the Espresso version of the Monk plus on Ali as well (there is a package for $30 - which I believe contains the balanced adapter as well). I do not have any experience with the balanced output (I just gotten the Opus #1, which as a balanced jack). Will it work with any IEMs/earbuds with the standard 3.5mm plug?

Will balanced output have a significant difference from your standard output?

No, you'll need a balanced cable for the IEM's/headphones/earbuds to work in balanced mode. The adapter I believe is either for switching between 2.5mm balanced (like in your #1) and 3.5mm balanced (like Hifiman and LH Labs uses) or to use a balanced cable with a single ended output (that way an adapter is enough for it to work, VE has several adapters so I'm not 100% sure which one is included with the Espresso).

The difference between single ended and balanced output are often easy noticeable in portable sources in my experience. I think this is a cheap way to test out the balanced output on your #1.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,076 of 31,834
No, you'll need a balanced cable for the IEM's/headphones/earbuds to work in balanced mode. The adapter I believe is either for switching between 2.5mm balanced (like in your #1) and 3.5mm balanced (like Hifiman and LH Labs uses) or to use a balanced cable with a single ended output (that way an adapter is enough for it to work, VE has several adapters so I'm not 100% sure which one is included with the Espresso).

The difference between single ended and balanced output are often easy noticeable in portable sources in my experience. I think this is a cheap way to test out the balanced output on your #1.

VE included two 3.5mm -to- 2.5mm adapters with the Balanced Monk Plus "Espresso" ($30), and with the Balanced Asura 2.0 ($88) that I ordered.

1.) The 3.5mm TRS -to- 2.5mm TRRS is wired as:
3.5mm TRS Plug
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm TRRS Jack
Tip​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
Ring2
Ring​
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
Ring1
Sleeve​
=​
GND​
 ​
to​
 ​
R- & L-​
=​
Tip & Sleeve​

2.) I haven't checked with an Ohmmeter, but I suspect the 3.5mm TRRS -to- 2.5mm TRRS may be wired for the HifiMan output to the VE (AK) input:
3.5mm TRRS Plug
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm TRRS Jack
Tip​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
Ring2
Ring1
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
Ring1
Ring2
=​
L-​
 ​
to​
 ​
L-​
=​
Sleeve​
Sleeve​
=​
R-​
 ​
to​
 ​
R-​
=​
Tip​

Take Care,
David Baldock

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,077 of 31,834
VE included two 3.5mm -to- 2.5mm adapters with the Balanced Monk Plus "Espresso" ($30), and with the Balanced Asura 2.0 ($88) that I ordered.

3.5mm TRS Plug
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm TRRS Jack
Tip​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
Ring2
Ring​
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
Ring1
Sleeve​
=​
GND​
 ​
to​
 ​
R- & L-​
=​
Tip & Sleeve​

2.) I haven't checked with an Ohmmeter, but I suspect the 3.5mm TRRS -to- 2.5mm TRRS may be wired for the HifiMan output to the VE (AK) input:
3.5mm TRRS Plug
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm TRRS Jack
Tip​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
Ring2
Ring1
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
Ring1
Ring2
=​
L-​
 ​
to​
 ​
L-​
=​
Sleeve​
Sleeve​
=​
R-​
 ​
to​
 ​
R-​
=​
Tip​

Take Care,
David Baldock

Ok that is quite a lot of technicalities that I am not terribly well-informed in (pardon my noobness)! So I suppose that the monk espresso does not come with balanced cables, and even with the adaptors, it cannot take advantage of the balanced output of my #1?

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,078 of 31,834

3.5mm TRS Plug
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm TRRS Jack
Tip​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
Ring2
Ring​
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
Ring1
Sleeve​
=​
GND​
 ​
to​
 ​
R- & L-​
=​
Tip & Sleeve​

3.5mm TRRS Plug
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
2.5mm TRRS Jack
Tip​
=​
L+​
 ​
to​
 ​
L+​
=​
Ring2
Ring1
=​
R+​
 ​
to​
 ​
R+​
=​
Ring1
Ring2
=​
L-​
 ​
to​
 ​
L-​
=​
Sleeve​
Sleeve​
=​
R-​
 ​
to​
 ​
R-​
=​
Tip​

Take Care,
David Baldock

Ok that is quite a lot of technicalities that I am not terribly well-informed in (pardon my noobness)! So I suppose that the monk espresso does not come with balanced cables, and even with the adaptors, it cannot take advantage of the balanced output of my #1?

Does the #1 have a 2.5mm Balanced Jack, or a 3.5mm Balanced Jack?
If you want the Balanced Monk Plus, select either the "Espresso 2.5TRRS" or "Espresso 3.5TRRS" model, for $30 on AliExpress.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,079 of 31,834
If you want the Balanced Monk Plus, select either the "Espresso 2.5TRRS" or "Espresso 3.5TRRS" model, for $30 on AliExpress.

The #1 has a 2.5mm balanced jack. Just to check, will the Monk Plus with balanced cable, work with the 3.5mm SE as well (which I suppose wouldn't require the adaptor)?

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,080 of 31,834
Hi everyone, I want to order Joyroom JR-E-103, but unfortunately they are only available on Taobao. I have never ordered on Taobao and the ordering system seems a little confusing. They are priced at $14.60, but with shipping and commission costs, the total is coming to $22.64. I am wondering if there is a way to avoid these costs. Also, are there any other sites that sell these iems?

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #2,081 of 31,834
  Hi everyone, I want to order Joyroom JR-E-103, but unfortunately they are only available on Taobao. I have never ordered on Taobao and the ordering system seems a little confusing. They are priced at $14.60, but with shipping and commission costs, the total is coming to $22.64. I am wondering if there is a way to avoid these costs. Also, are there any other sites that sell these iems?

Thank you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100-Original-Joyroom-JR-E103-In-Ear-Earphone-3-5MM-Stereo-In-Ear-Headset-Dynamic-Headphone/1831227_32639668352.html

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,084 of 31,834

The #1 has a 2.5mm balanced jack. Just to check, will the Monk Plus with balanced cable, work with the 3.5mm SE as well (which I suppose wouldn't require the adaptor)?

You use the "3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter" (which VE provides), when you want to connect the Espresso Monk Plus (Balanced 2.5mmTRRS) earbud cable to a 3.5mm SE jack (like a phone, Laptop, or other DAP).

That's what I was saying in my initial comparison of the standard Monk Plus (which only has a 3.5mm TRS), and the Espresso Monk Plus (Balanced 2.5mmTRRS) - I was able to connect either earbud to the SE jack on my DP-X1, and not have to worry about any gain difference between Balanced & SE outputs, when trying to see if they sound the same.

Hope this helps,
David Baldock

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #2,085 of 31,834
You use the "3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter" (which VE provides), when you want to connect the Espresso Monk Plus (Balanced 2.5mmTRRS) earbud cable to a 3.5mm SE jack (like a phone, Laptop, or other DAP).

That's what I was saying in my initial comparison of the standard Monk Plus (which only has a 3.5mm TRS), and the Espresso Monk Plus (Balanced 2.5mmTRRS) - I was able to connect either earbud to the SE jack on my DP-X1, and not have to worry about any gain difference between Balanced & SE outputs, when trying to see if they sound the same.

Hope this helps,
David Baldock

I see, noted on that, thanks! I shall go ahead and give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back