CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #16,441 of 31,833
I would describe a neutral sound signature as very detailed, but not as musical, lively or fun mannered as a balanced sound signature. In other words, every detail of the music is there and almost at "no fault". It is detailed and accurate, but doesn't resemble the rumble and extended treble that you might hear from a more balanced or V-shaped sound signature where is mostly referred to as a lively or fun signature. Some prefer neutral for its detailed, accurate, and even natural presentation. But, there's always going to be individual preferences found in between. You'll have to decide for yourself where your preferences fall along your favorite sound signature.

Hope this helps...

-Clear
neutral and balanced are usually the same thing in this forum, your interpretation of balanced is actually a U or slight V shaped response and that is unexpected and surprising interpretation of the word "balanced"

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #16,442 of 31,833
based on this graph i added a little eq to the n3:

freqdbq
250+1.00.7
500+2.00.7
750+1.00.7
2000-1.03.0
4000-1.04.5
8000+5.06.4

made them sound a bit richer

edit: increased q values a lot after listening to some sweeps. Still shows some variance above 9k

I used your EQ as a starting point to tame the upper midrange even more.
freqdbq
250+1.00.7
500+2.00.7
750+1.00.7
2000-5.03.0
4000-5.04.5
6000-3.01
N3 EQs.jpg
Green (no EQ), Red (gazpl's settings, minus the 8k filter), Blue (my settings)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #16,444 of 31,833
what is the difference for you between neutral and balanced?

People deem neutral as flat settings on an EQ curve and balanced as keeping things even but not necessarily flat. Everything boosted +6db is balanced but not neutral. Some(not me though) use balanced as referring to the bass and treble being in even amounts so they will call "V" balanced though I like to call "V" a "V" as I'm not sure when and why some decided to disregard the mids when talking about frequency balance. I get the analogy of a scale...
upload_2019-2-24_13-2-51.jpeg

...but the third element of the mids is not fixed so I never disregard it. I talk of a "U" or "V" as those two descriptors and how they are in balance to one another but not the signature as a whole as balanced if the mids are not also the same.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-24_13-2-6.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-24_13-2-6.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
Feb 24, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #16,445 of 31,833
neutral and balanced are usually the same thing in this forum, your interpretation of balanced is actually a U or slight V shaped response and that is unexpected and surprising interpretation of the word "balanced"
LOL! Nah...that's just your interpretation of your assumptions, not mine. And just to clarify, neutral and balanced ARE NOT usually the same thing in this forum, that's just your opinion. I really doubt your speaking for everyone here. You're not their leader...
So, if you do not agree with my post, just ignore it...:wink:

Follow-The-Leader_sl11.jpg
:writing_hand:
...OK, so I did "EDIT" the words V-shape out of my balanced interpretation, which I didn't realize I added those words in the first place, but it still doesn't mean that neutral and balance are one, and the same.
-Just to be clear :ok_hand:

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #16,446 of 31,833
I used your EQ as a starting point to tame the upper midrange even more.
freqdbq
250+1.00.7
500+2.00.7
750+1.00.7
2000-5.03.0
4000-5.04.5
6000-3.01

Green (no EQ), Red (gazpl's settings, minus the 8k filter), Blue (my settings)

Thanks for your measurements. I also removed the 8k and like your 2k and 4k values.. but 6k -3db q1 takes away too much for my ears...

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #16,448 of 31,833
Feb 25, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #16,450 of 31,833
Feb 25, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #16,451 of 31,833
Well, it shouldn't really be compared to $1000 iems as it is a $20 iem. How can the BIE be close to the ex1000 when it sounds nothing like it? The notes are smoothed over, the clarity is nothing to write home about, the soundstage size is average at best, the separation is mediocre. I just can't comprehend the hype - maybe I should burn it in for 100-200 hours to give it the benefit of the doubt, but still good iems sound good out of the box and as I said even the $20 sony mh1/c is superior to the BIE. Comparing it to good $100+ iems is a slaughterhouse.

And yeah, biggie and smalls have extremely laid back treble an overpowering low end, which destroys the tonal balance and accuracy (for instance, I can't stand anything with piano on them as it's like 10db louder than the rest) but at least the bass is quite good if you are a basshead, while with the BIE I can't really mention any standout quality. Like I said, it has smooth and organic sound that depending on one's preferences may be quite enjoyable, but comparing it to TOTL level is quite a stretch when it's not even the best in the sub-$50 range. I am open to all sound signatures and always try to put my personal preferences on the side but the BIE's performance is of a $20-30 iem.

I hear some totally different, the soundstage is big, not as the EX1000, but is big, separation is top noch, as the clarity, I don't need 100 hours of burn in to hear that, so if you hear already some different I don't think that some other burn in can change something, I have also the Nicehk HK6 I I think the bie are superior in every way except the isolation, the HK6 has artificial sound when I switch between the two, after some minutes my ear get used to the artificial sound of the HK6, but not to the separation that is still better on the bie, I use with those the JVC spinfit, they don't isolate well from the but I have strong bass that sometimes I think it is stronger (but when I compared those is not) than the EX1000, and often the sound seems to came out of my head

sorry for the late answer

Feb 25, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #16,452 of 31,833
I hear some totally different, the soundstage is big, not as the EX1000, but is big, separation is top noch, as the clarity, I don't need 100 hours of burn in to hear that, so if you hear already some different I don't think that some other burn in can change something, I have also the Nicehk HK6 I I think the bie are superior in every way except the isolation, the HK6 has artificial sound when I switch between the two, after some minutes my ear get used to the artificial sound of the HK6, but not to the separation that is still better on the bie, I use with those the JVC spinfit, they don't isolate well from the but I have strong bass that sometimes I think it is stronger (but when I compared those is not) than the EX1000, and often the sound seems to came out of my head

sorry for the late answer
Well, I told you my opinion. It hasn't changed. The soundstage is not something I would call big but is not bad. The separation and clarity are miles away from being top notch. I haven't heard the hk6, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bie is better than it as I have the Nicehck dt600 and is not something I would consider a good performer for that price. I'm not even comparing the bie to good expensive iems. I'm comparing it to other similarly priced iems - sony mh1 and hifiman re400 and both are better. I don't know to what kind of ex1000 you are listening to as the sony is way more spacious and way clearer and more detailed (way way more). I compared the bie to my sony xba n3 and it makes the bie sound very bad but it's bever a good idea to compare cheap iems to more expensive good ones. I wouldn't even mind the clarity, layering and separation shortcomings if it had good natural tonality and timbre, but it doesn't.

Again, the bie is a pretty decent iem for the price, I'm sure it will be better than other more expensive mediocre performers, but even comparing it to the good performers in its price range is not particularly flattering, let alone comparing it to the good mid- and high-end stuff. At this point I'm just repeating myself. If you like the bie, then good for you

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #16,453 of 31,833
Well, I told you my opinion. It hasn't changed. The soundstage is not something I would call big but is not bad. The separation and clarity are miles away from being top notch. I haven't heard the hk6, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bie is better than it as I have the Nicehck dt600 and is not something I would consider a good performer for that price. I'm not even comparing the bie to good expensive iems. I'm comparing it to other similarly priced iems - sony mh1 and hifiman re400 and both are better. I don't know to what kind of ex1000 you are listening to as the sony is way more spacious and way clearer and more detailed (way way more). I compared the bie to my sony xba n3 and it makes the bie sound very bad but it's bever a good idea to compare cheap iems to more expensive good ones. I wouldn't even mind the clarity, layering and separation shortcomings if it had good natural tonality and timbre, but it doesn't.

Again, the bie is a pretty decent iem for the price, I'm sure it will be better than other more expensive mediocre performers, but even comparing it to the good performers in its price range is not particularly flattering, let alone comparing it to the good mid- and high-end stuff. At this point I'm just repeating myself. If you like the bie, then good for you

Clearly we hear this thing very different, and we don't have any other iems in common to compare with. And I don't mind of the price of an iem, when I have to make comparison I try to compare the "subject" with all I have, to make clear about what I am listening. I doubt I have a strange ex1000, and never says that you have wrong, neither that I am wrong, only we hear differently, apparently very very differently

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #16,454 of 31,833
Make some days I listen to the Brainwavz B200 dual BA's universal custom and quite like them, they are my go to for Classical music, as they are (just?) mean to sound incredible with acoustic music....like they make sparkle any plucking instrument, should it be classical guitar, harp, harpsichord....it give a very realist decay to it, wich is something I search since some time.

They are mids centric and again, for vocal its wide and airy and very immersive. Violin are super agile with B200...the Big drawback here is lower bass, BA's just can't deal with 20-100hz region so the B400 is a better all arounder for sure.

Need more listen and perhaps burn in will help to balance bass region.

P2250752.JPG P2250753.JPG P2250754.JPG P2250755.JPG P2250756.JPG

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #16,455 of 31,833
Hi,
Has anyone tested Moondrop Crescent? how are they compared to CCA C10?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back