Chicken with no head!
Jan 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

flxglr

New Head-Fier
Hello, Ive got a question that I am hoping that somebody can answer for me or rather point me in the right direction. I'm looking to purchase a new set of headphones and I have no idea what i should be looking for. A little bit about what I would like: I listen to alot of music, mostly rap and hip hop, so i would like to have a good amount of bass as well as good overall sounding audio. But at the same time I would also like to use them for watching movies on my laptop. Also, Im not sure if this is possible I would like to use these for gaming with my xbox 360 as well. Ive heard that you need an amp of some kind but i have no idea what i should be looking for. I was looking into buying the Sennheiser 555's but I'm not sure if they would be best suited for my needs. Ive also looked at the Astro A40s but Ive heard that their primarily designed for gaming.I want something that is a good balance between music, movies, and gaming. My price range is pretty wide, Im looking to get the most out of my purchase but at the same time i dont want to break the bank. Something that may be worth noting is that i am a college student living in the dorms, so something with noise cancellation or minimal sound leakage would be a great bonus, although not completely necessary. Thanks to anyone that is able to help!

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Beyerdynamic DT770. I have the 32 ohm version and I love it for gaming and rap/hip-hop especially. It manages to show off the "hole" between the lows and vocals that are the trademark of hip-hop and rap. The bass is very present but never overpowering, although it does take some burning in to fully develop this. I found them on B&H for $193.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 10
To answer your previous question, I would like to spend no more than $200 as these are my first venture into high quality headphones so im looking for some nice semi-entry level headphones.

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 10
Buy the Creative Aurvana Live or Denon D1001 (same drivers). Does the same genres that the M50s do, and is better for gaming. The main difference between the is that the M50 is built like a tank and has sharper treble, as well as having a much more closed in sound (bad for gaming). That's pretty much it. They sound similar otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back