Chicago Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 1/29/05
Jan 30, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #31 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
The meet was great. The Raptor was kick *****. Probably my fav. amp that I tried out. And to the guy that brought the HP-1000. I hate you
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish I never put those things on my head...because they sounded so damn awesome, and chances are I will never be able to own a pair (unless you are willing to sell them...*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*. After hearing my 325's through the sr-71 I'm pretty sure I will be getting one very soon. Again, lots of great people and equipment. Many thanks to Ray and his family for being such gracious hosts.

What phones did you listen to the Raptor with?

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #32 of 144
Quote:

How did the system driven by the VPI Scout sound? I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Scout it isn't funny

Zanth, I listened to the Scout for a LONG time. I listened to a lot of equipment today, and no other piece (including the raptor) impressed me more than the Scout. Now, I don't have much experience with vinyl, and am pretty much comparing the Scout with my digital experiences, which is of course not fair. However, the scout was amazing. I was listening to some jazz stuff that Ken had, and the sound of a string bass, and being able to hear the rebound of the fingers pressing against the strings and releasing, was breathtaking. I listened to Dave Brubeck's time out, and I have never heard cymbals and the sound of the ride so PERFECTLY emulated. The high sparkle of the drummer's stick on the ride extended higher than I could have ever imagined, yet remained so sweet and controlled, it was unbelievable. Rhytmically, it was so in the groove. Never have I ever heard this album so rhythmically perfect, the Scout not only keeps pace with it, it actually places the notes in a perfect laid-back groove that I have never heard before.

Well, I think I have said enough, one of these days, I will get into vinyl, for sure, with the scout as my centerpiece (for now).

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 144
The Raptor definitely was very cool. However, if anything, the one piece that impressed even more so than before was the sr-71 (surprise, surprise?). Now, I currently have an sr-71, for two weeks now, and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but never have I been able to compare it with other headphone amps and tubes. Believe me, the sr-71 can stand with them in terms of sound quality! There was a group of us, sitting in a circle, and Ray was manning an A/B box, switching between the Raptor and HR-2. We all listened, and noticed that they're actually pretty similar, a testament to the quality of ALL of Ray's products, regardless of price. Then he hooked up the sr-71 to the box, and we did comparisons between the sr-71 and the Raptor. And you know what? So many people were like "I can't really hear a difference," or "wow, its really subtle." Then it came to me, and out of 20 or so times switching back and forth, only ONE of those clicks could I hear a SLIGHT difference in sound. The sr-71 is cemented in my musicology as the BEST piece of audio equipment I have ever purchased, and I feel that it is a steal at only $400 for the type of sound you get.

Now, if I could only persuade Ray to make me one of his sweet mini-to-mini's for the sr-71 (which kicked the arse out of my cardas mini-to-mini), then I would be one happy camper
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #36 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Thanks for pointing it out for me, strohmie.The big photo of it seems to show two Tung-Sol 5687's. I'm not sure what the third tube is.Welcome back, man.
cool.gif

I think that Ray swapped the third tube (the farthest back one) for a 12AU7 (IIRC) for more gain. He did this during the meet while I was lurking back there. The Raptor really sounded good when I listened to it.

I would like to thank Ray (and his family) for their graciousness and hospitality in hosting this, and to Tuberoller for organizing this. This was my first meet, and I enjoyed meeting everyone that I did (although it seemed like there were more people that I didn't meet than did, but that's probably the way these things go). My son seemed to enjoy it also.

Chris

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #37 of 144
Wow, so many things to say.

First of all, thanks to Ray for hosting this event. Your hospitality was absolutely the best I've enjoyed anywhere, and your family is wonderful as well; you are rightfully proud of them. With a namesake as lovely as theirs, it's no wonder your amps are so inspired. Special thanks to Ray's wife (who I was only able to briefly thank) for the very tasty meal, which she undoubtably spent an incredible amount of time on.

On to the equipment questions:

The silver Blockhead was indeed Tuberoller's. He's going to polish it up, and it's going to be one sweet-looking (and sounding, of course) amp.

The Raptor was incredible. As Jude said, to my ears, it was right there with the Stealth, great detail and warmth and everything the Stealth has been lauded for, a really terrific amp, just without the preamp of the Stealth. If there is any piece that will outsell the SR-71 (which is impossibly good in its own right), it will be the Raptor. Ray, I will definitely be ordering one of these from you once they hit production. I listened to it with my DT880s, with RS-1s, and with HD-600s (Cardas cable). The RS-1 sounded more alive than I've ever heard it before through this amp, and that's saying quite a bit considering how lively of a can it is to start with.

The star of the show was, for me, undoubtably the Wadia setup (through a Blockhead with stepped attenuators and DT880s/PS1s/HD600s). I will never in a lifetime be able to afford it, but it made everything else in the meet sound cheap and incomplete in comparison. Even the SCD-1 through the Gilmore Balanced Reference sounded woefully undetailed in comparison (though I would have liked to hear the Gilmore Balanced Reference out of the Wadia setup).

The Headroom Coda/Overture was great as well, though I don't have much of a point of reference with regard to good computer audio. I don't think very many people got a chance to listen to it (playing FLAC files, listening on SR225s). I'm a little confused as to why Headroom is making this a limited-run item, as I think that it has tremendous potential. I only got to listen to this for about 15 minutes though, so hopefully someone will come along with a more detailed impression.

There was just so much gear there, I got to hear the E4c (which, to me, sounds better than the E5c, even though the foamies hurt my ears
frown.gif
), I listened to the new amp that bhd812 brought (don't remember the company), I listened to about every Grado that I hadn't previously heard (new SR-325i, HP-1000, PS-1), as well as extensive listening to HD600/650 (which, previous today, I had not heard at all). Information overload! Great sound overload, and most of all, I'm just dog tired from driving 12 hours today (woke up at 5:30 AM, just got home at 11:00 PM).

I had time to talk with so many of you, and I barely remember any of your names, but you all have ensured that I will make it to every possible meet I can from now on. You guys rule.

Thanks again, Ray.

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #38 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
What soundcard was in that computer?

Actually that was the rig that the Headroom Overture abd Coda (DAC) were hooked up to. Pretty impressive. Wish I could buy the DAC alone as I don't really need the amp.
CPW

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #41 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I am back...and nuts..

I was there from 10am to 11pm..lol

Ok let me get my load on with some pics...brb

Are you babling?

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #43 of 144
It's late,I'm tired but I have to say a few things.

First thanks to my good friend Ray Samuels for everything that you have done. This was an incredible gesture and I'm sure everyone in attendance had a fantastic time. Thanks to Grace,Ray's wife,for the outstanding meal. Each time that I think your food and hospitality can get no better,you prove me wrong. You really "threw down" today. Thank you.

Thanks to Headroom for all the gear. I really pimped those cable wraps and cards and I don't think I let a single pair of phones get by me without getting a wrap and card. You guys are simply the best.

Thanks to Lehman and Tom Hills for the Black Cube Linear. Thanks to Matt(sugarfried) from Shure. Matt is a real music lover trapped in the body and job of a company rep. This hobby needs more people like Matt and Jason(I think?) who both came over and allowed us to sample the wares from Shure.

I know it was a huge letdown for Todd and Dr. Meier that Fedex really,really screwed up and did'nt get the Prehead MKII and Eartube here in time. Thanks anyway and I promise to post some impressions of these as soon as I get a chance. I waited around as long as I could and was actually an hour and half late to my own meet. Next time we'll get this done.

Thanks to everyone who attended and made this meet an incredible event.

I'll post some impressions of the small bit of gear I did get a chance to listen to very briefly in the morning. I'll say that I'm really in love with the Headroom Coda/Overture combo and I doubt I'll be able to send them back. I like the Overture but I am absolutely in love with the Coda. This is truly a breakthrough product.

I told you guys that Raptor is the Sht. That thing is killer and the slight departure from Ray's "house sound" is a good thing. The Raptor is every bit the monster it's named for. I said Ray would sell them faster than he could ever build them and I'm sure that's gonna be the case.

There is nothing special about my Blockhead. It's just silver and is the same as any other Blockhead. I'm gonna "pimp" it out and have it polished and plated in a black Chrome with etched lettering. I gotta think of a name for it before it's done.

I must sleep now and sorry if I forgot to thank anyone. Impressions tomorrow.

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #44 of 144
I want to thank Ray, Grace and Charles for having us in their home and feeding us so well. Grace actually had to work two double shift days in a row to get the day off so she could cook all the great food for us. And it really was great. I think I spent more time with Ray's Hummus than w/ any one piece of gear! Thanks so much to all three of you for your wonderful hospitality and friendship.
Also thanks to Tuberoller for all the hard work. It was great to meet you and hang as well.
Final thanks to all the Head-Fiers and manufacturers who brought/sent gear. Very appreciated.

Wow. This was my first meet and my first chance to listen to lots of this gear and, though it's tough to listen critically in a situation with this many people, it was pretty overwhelming to hear so much great stuff all at once.
I had a really long trip (Reno-Chicago) in a very short time but it was worth every mile.

Gear:
The Raptor and SR-71 both dropped my jaw. I own a Stealth and for those who don't need pre function and 4 inputs, i can tell you that you'll really get the sound of the Stealth for a lot less money in the Raptor. It's very small and does run considerably warmer due to the linear pwr supply (Stealth has switching pwr supply)but the great news for europeans is that it's euro voltage compatible. Fantastic sound.
The SR-71 is also an incredible product. A/B it against anything you want. It refuses to be embarassed. Just unbelievable.

I got to hear a ton of Grados and though they have their charms, I'm convinced more than ever that I'm a Senn guy. I also came to the realization that my HD650 (which I thought was done mutating) is STILL not done w/ break-in! When will it end? The PS-1 was not for me but the HP Grados were pretty cool to my ears.

Biggest bummer for my wallet has got to be the three G08 Meridians I heard. Damn. I think I'm gonna need one more Meridian in the stable.

Blockheads were nuts but I didn't spend much time as it's not a part of my reality in the near future. I'd hoped to spend some quality time w/ the new Max but it just wasn't in the cards this time. I did get a few minutes but too much background noise right at that time.

Kentamcollin's Scout was very impressive (Scoutmaster motor. platter, bearing) but I think I'll leave my stock Scout alone for now (except for Cartridge!) Ray's Shelter cart was amazing but even more impressive was his Sumiko Bluepoint Spec. (under $400) which wasn't even completely broken in yet but sounded great. May have to give that a try! Don't hesitate on the Scout Zanth! Just do it!

I heard one of Justin's Gilmore Lites which is beautifully constructed and sounded really good. He really does some very nice work. Impeccable build and nice guy.
Also had short listens to Kevin Gilmore's Dynahi and some other KG designs. I didn't get too much time on those as it was very crowded in there!

Coolest thing for sure was meeting all the people and putting faces to the names (and usernames). Special thx to Tyrion for the ride to the airport (big detour). I'll think of more later and will post some people pix tomorrow. Thanks again to all for a great time.

CPW

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #45 of 144
Wow...what a trip!!

We had a gang of 4 from the greater Detroit area (actually 2 from Detroit-suburb Canada), and another we picked up on the way. It made for a very long day (started out @ 7:00 AM and I just got home!!)

At any rate, I'm very tired...so impressions will be quick for now, with more to follow:

1) The Coda and Overture are going to be great products for HeadRoom. I've got to believe that, short run notwithstanding, there will be similar products coming out in very short order. It's a terriffic product that really fits its niche very very well. We had it hooked up to the_mac's computer via USB and it did a very nice job. I'm really glad that I took the plunge and got one.

2) The Raptor looks like a big winner for Ray Samuels Audio. It's a great product...no doubt about it. It really made the HD650's sing. From what I heard, it's my favorite of the Emmeline products.

3) As usual, my favorite amp at the meet was the HeadRoom Blockhead attached to a Wadia CD player. In this case, it was the Wadia 27/270 DAC and transport. I've heard quite a few higher end CD players, and they're all very good...but my personal preference is the Wadia. They just seem to really capture the soundstaging and detail without sounding overly analytical to my ears. In the case of the 27/270, how often can one say that an $18,000 CD player represents a relative bargain? Thanks very much to member jefemeister (who was unable to attend at the last minute but came through with this outstanding source for the meet) and the good folks at Wadia and Headroom for this special treat.

BTW - Yes, I had the pricing on the Wadia unit wrong...my bad.
redface.gif

A special thanks go out to Ray Samuels and his lovely wife, who spoiled us with a wonderful spread for lunch/dinner. Thanks to both of you for inviting the headphone audio mongol hordes into your home. Thanks also to Tuberoller for planning the meet.

I've been to several meets now, and I think that this one rates as the best. We had a LOT of folks show up, the best run of equipment I've seen yet, and we couldn't have had more gracious hosts. Thanks again to everyone involved.

Well, it's bedtime...more tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back