Chicago Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 1/29/05
Jan 30, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #16 of 144
So it looks like the Raptor is a baby Stealth. Oh my. This could be very,very special. I loved the Stealth when I auditioned it.

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat
Impressions on the Ray Samuels Raptor and HeadRoom Coda/Overture please!!!!!!!!!!

Raptor is awesome
tongue.gif
just sounded amazing. The meet was really one of if not the best ever. The equipment was massive, tons of great people and the food was unbelievably good and so much of it
smily_headphones1.gif

Immense thanks to Ray and his wife for such great hospitality and really going so much out of their way for us. Also as always to Tooberoller for organizing allot of the gear.

Got to run for now, my head is hurting from all the equipment and I got to help my wife clean up and get some sleep.

Darius

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #18 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
So it looks like the Raptor is a baby Stealth. Oh my. This could be very,very special. I loved the Stealth when I auditioned it.

When I listened to the Raptor prototype (again, this was a while ago), I compared it directly to a Stealth, back and forth for quite some time, and, though it has a different tube complement, its headphone-driving sonics were very comparable to the Stealth -- to my ears, it ran right there with it. And, since I don't need the preamp functionality of the Stealth, but do want its headphone-driving performance and sonics, the Raptor is like getting what I want from the Stealth for a lot less dough. Like I said, I'm already in.

b.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Can someone post a photo of the Raptor's power supply (or point it out if it's in any of the above photos)?[/img]

The Raptor's supply is the grey box in the back left of one of the pictures. It's in the last picture from the first set of Eagle_Driver's pics.

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 144
Quote:

When I listened to the Raptor prototype (again, this was a while ago), I compared it directly to a Stealth, back and forth for quite some time, and, though it has a different tube complement, its headphone-driving sonics were very comparable to the Stealth -- to my ears, it ran right there with it. And, since I don't need the preamp functionality of the Stealth, but do want its headphone-driving performance and sonics, the Raptor is like getting what I want from the Stealth for a lot less dough. Like I said, I'm already in.

b.gif

A dream come true. I had asked for this a year ago. Thanks Ray. Taaking orders??? What tubes does it run?

p.s. I'm back!

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #21 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
The Raptor's supply is the grey box in the back left of one of the pictures. It's in the last picture from the first set of Eagle_Driver's pics.

Thanks for pointing it out for me, strohmie. Quote:

What tubes does it run?

The big photo of it seems to show two Tung-Sol 5687's. I'm not sure what the third tube is. Quote:

p.s. I'm back!

Welcome back, man.
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #22 of 144
Nice coming home. I have already email Ray about ordering a Raptor. I got into Head-fi with Nick Dangerous and the MG Head. Now this is the ulitmate, veersion of the Head. I know all diffferent, but small ,three tube dream!

p.s. thanks Jude nice shirt

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #23 of 144
Quote:

Haaaaaaa....911........another amp attack......Haaaaaaa.......
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #26 of 144
Anyone know the pricing on the raptor? Maybe it's a good thing i didn't jump on the XP-7 this past friday
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 144
Thanks for the info on Raptor, Jude. I've just e-mailed Ray about it.

Quote:

Also, what's up with that silver BlockHead?

I think it's Tuberoller's. I remember reading somewhere how he has a silver BlockHead.

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #28 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by earache
Anyone know the pricing on the raptor? Maybe it's a good thing i didn't jump on the XP-7 this past friday
tongue.gif

I hope to find out soon. Ray?

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 144
Wow, I missed one heck of a meet. I feel bad that I couldn't go, but I'm sick. Don't need to get everyone else sick and cough on all the gear
biggrin.gif
Plus my head is stuffed so listening is less than pleasurable.
I still need an amp and I was hoping to hear a few different models but I know that everybody else had a great time and I hope to attend the next one for sure.

Even though I didn't attend I'd like to say thanks to Mr Samuels and his family for hosting it and everyone for bringing all their gear.
280smile.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #30 of 144
The meet was great. The Raptor was kick *****. Probably my fav. amp that I tried out. And to the guy that brought the HP-1000. I hate you
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish I never put those things on my head...because they sounded so damn awesome, and chances are I will never be able to own a pair (unless you are willing to sell them...*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*. After hearing my 325's through the sr-71 I'm pretty sure I will be getting one very soon. Again, lots of great people and equipment. Many thanks to Ray and his family for being such gracious hosts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back