Chicago Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 1/29/05
Jan 30, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #46 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
What soundcard was in that computer?

I had two winamp sessions running simultaneously. The left side was running USB audio into the CODA/overture, the right was feeding the Terratec EWX and then a PPA. A few people listened to both, and opinions were split as to which was preferred (but generally I think that the convenience of the CODA makes it an excellent choice).

I think that Headroom is really on to something here, and I really like the multiplicity of connection options on the DAC. I think that it makes it an excellent value, and extremely useful.

Other impressions:

Great Hummus.

I didn't give much of a listen to anything other than canalphones this meet, but I toured the shure lineup, and I really, really was sold on the new E4's. From the instant I had them in, and music started playing, they felt and sounded like they weren't there, that they were sonically transparant, and that the sound was coming from outside my head. WAY outside my head (almost a speakerlike feeling). The other IEM's in the shure lineup (E3 and E5) were quite nice, and each had it's strong points, but they both had a more closed in, more "in the head" feeling to the sound, and having heard the E4's first, I just couldn't get out of my mind how open and nicely they rendered soundstage. In addition there were gobs of detail, a nice midtange, but a little less bass than I would otherwise prefer, but it's a SMALL price to pay for all the things that this did well. It's going to be my next upgrade (anyone want to buy some SR-125's or shure E2's?).

The other thing I really noted was that a PPA is a significant step up from my pimeta. I borrowed a PPA for my computer rig for the day from a really nice gentleman that I want to thank (but your name escapes me good sir), and it continually stunned me by being better under meet conditions than my pimeta is in home conditions. Anyone want to buy a pimeta?

Lastly, I was really stunned by Ray's speaker rig. We had about a dozen guys sitting up in Ray's speaker room, listening to some vinyl through all of Ray's gear (new phonostage, stealth, Cary amps, custom speakers) and it sounded incredible. The thing that struck me most was the perfect reality that I felt on the stand up bass. Speakers are something that I'll need to seriously invest some greenery into when I get a place with a suitable room.

Thank you so much Ray, Tubes, Tom (for everything), Jay, and the unnamed gentleman with the nice PPA, and everyone else. Thank you all so much. You are what make this place so good.

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #48 of 144
Oh NO!
Billy's threat to post the goofy pictures is real
basshead.gif

Wow Ray,
I got say thanks to you and your wife for hosting, she's an amazing woman, you have been blessed. We will have to have you guys over to our place later this year.

As usual, too much nice stuff to hear and too many people to talk to, but I really enjoyed myself just the same.

Standouts for me were:
The Wadia / Blockhead was pretty awesome
I enjoyed the Grommes amp, the balanced Dynali (sp?), Raptor, and the Grace.

Ken's Scout TT was very cool, now I have to buy one darn it!

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #50 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Still more equipment pics:

100_2502.jpg

Hey, somebody stole the gold knob!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #51 of 144
Wow, what a fantastic meet!! This is the best one we had in Chicago so far. Special thanks has to to go to Ray and his family!! Their hospitality was just amazing. Oh my god and the food...I haven't had so much good food since Thanksgiving. I would weigh 500 lbs if I lived in his house!! Thanks to Tube for all his hard work. Stay healthy man and get some rest.

Some impressions of the gear:

Headroom Coda/Overture - Man this is a fantastic little system. Thanks Headroom for another killer product. Too bad this is a limited edition product which will be sold out by the time I sell enough blood to afford one.
eggosmile.gif
I started by listening to the Coda by itself because I didn't have a digital out from my Sony D-15. I listened to some Nickleback and could hear more of the textures of the guitars through the Coda. I was using my Senn 212s. I also got to listen to some Diana Krall after it was hooked up to a PC. With the Overture hooked up this time, man did this thing sound good. This is a killer product that will be sold out soon so you better put your order in soon!!

Hearoom Max - I haven't listened to this system in years and forgot how good this sounded. It was just so dynamic. It was hooked up to a Music Hall Maverick SACD player and the two had great synergy.

Ray Samuel's Rapter - Ouch!! I burned my finger when I tried to turn the volume knob. Yes, it's a great looking piece of gear but making it all metal with tubes was a no-no. It did sound great though just listen to it with some gloves on.
icon10.gif

Ray Samuel's SR-71 - Now this is a great little bugger. It sounded much bigger than it's size. I couldn't really tell a difference between it and the HR-2. I will be ordering one of these sometime soon.

Ray Samuel's Stealth - This is one of the first amps I listened to and somebody had the volume turned up when I plugged my headphones in. Ray, was that you? Once I turned it down a bit - it Rocked. It was playing some Jazz off a Rega P3 turntable and the sound was full and solid. The bass was especially nice. Killer system!

Gilmore Lite - A very nice sounding home amp. Justin from Headamp does some really nice work and I will be ordering one of these too. It was hooked up to the Sony SCD1 which looks fantastic but has trouble playing a lot of CDs. I had to try 3 of mine before it could read one. Sony should be ashamed for making an expensive paper weight.

Wadia 270/70 - This system was hooked up to a Headroom Blockhead and the sound was amazing of course. As well it should be for $40k. Although, I have heared very similar sound when I had the Grado HPA-2/Sony D25/Etymotic E4S combo. Playing a very familiar CD - Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" brought back that feeling of wishing everbody had a system like this so they knew how good music sounded like.

Grommes tube amp - Sorry, maybe this wasn't burned in but it sounded really thin. It did not sound like a tube amp at all but very cold.

Meier Audio - Somebody had a Meier amp(don't know the model) hooked up to a NAD CD player and there must of been something wrong because it sounded God awful. Sorry Jan, but I'm sure something was wrong in the setup. It sounded like the Grommes tube amp very thin and lifeless.

DIY from TR Audio
- Todd had some tube amps he made that started off as Earmax Pros and they both sounded great hooked up to a Cary CD player. Thanks Todd for bringing the amps and being so nice. This is one great and nice guy.

Quote:

The other thing I really noted was that a PPA is a significant step up from my pimeta. I borrowed a PPA for my computer rig for the day from a really nice gentleman that I want to thank (but your name escapes me good sir), and it continually stunned me by being better under meet conditions than my pimeta is in home conditions. Anyone want to buy a pimeta?

Hey, that was me. That PPA had the 627 op-amps in it and was on loan from Rockhopper Audio. If you get a chance contact Stephen and I'm sure he can fix you up with one.

I'd like to thank everyone at the meet. Everybody there was just great!

Jan 30, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #52 of 144
That Raptor looks like the tube amp for my budget. If only something had to be done about the heat...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #54 of 144
Hey, somebody stole the gold knob!

The knob was there. It was in my pocket. All you had to do was ask...
I showed it to a number of people.
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #56 of 144
any comparisons of the balanced amplifiers at the meet? did you have any balanced Qualia 010's there?

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #57 of 144
YES Baby! Just got the word from Ray that the 8th Raptor off the production line is all my
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #58 of 144
<<sits back and loosens his belt after polishing off his plate of leftovers>>

Man am I glad Ray convinced me to take an extra plate of food back to Urbana. At the time I was too stuffed to the gills to even consider it, but it tasted almost as good today as it did fresh. Oh, and let's not even start talking about born2bwire and john_jcb's chicken contraption.
biggrin.gif

Glad to have been able to meet a new set of Chicago-ians and otherwise, considering tyrion was coming from hundreds of miles away and philodox hopped the border just to be here. Oh, and if there was anyone I didn't formally introduce myself to, I was the guy with the green shirt that said Keeneland on it, who looked like he hadn't gotten nearly enough sleep.

Impressions...that Wadia setup was indeed spectacular, but you're never going to convince me to spend about $39,000 more than my max for the last 10%. The Sony SCD-1 (I think that's the one KG brought) was a technical marvel, but I really, REALLY shouldn't have volunteered to get a hernia by bringing it out to his car when he left.

The Raptor and the Dynahi made their presence felt. Ray hooked both the SR-71 and the Raptor up to his AB box and was switching it like mad while I listened to Andrea Bocelli. I could only hear minor differences while he switched, though a proper AB would be blind and would be over a relatively long period of time.
tongue.gif
Was glad to hear the Dynahi after my last failed attempt to build one (you have no idea how many people actually remember my "crushed boards" incident). Now to go about shoving a pair of those steaming beasts into my CD player.

philodox's AKG340s are very nice headphones, surprising for something their age. Still leaning towards getting HD650s as my next headphones once I can afford them. The HP-1000s are still the only Grados for me, but I still can't get past the comfort. The SR-71 power switcher (as seen in Kevin's "nuttiest of show" picture) was indeed quite a contraption, though I think the only time I got to listen was through AC power.

Good times, and I'm hoping I'll be able to make one more Head-Fi meet before my time in Illinois ends.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #59 of 144
ok quick review..I just woke up..

first Off meeting Rays entire clanwas awesome, the place was perfect and the food was (as I knew before) amazing.
thanks Fred and Ray for putting it together.

The Grommes headphone amp was getting a listen for the First time by any headfiers and alot of people had some mixed thoughts but for a speaker amp,preamp,and headphone amp at $995 retail it is a great value anyone wanting more then just a head amp.
my thoughts on it is that with my Senn 600's the low end tends to be alittle weak but once I tried ALL of my grados last night I felt something speacil with it. this amp has a magic with Grados...definitly worth checking out by more people. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...et/meet023.jpg)

The KG Dyna (sorry for the mis spell) was one nice peace of gear. the thing that surpised me was how everyone says the KG sound is so different from the RS sound, but to my ears they were damm close in the sound. I wouldnt mind spending more time on this peice of gear.

the Raptor switch boxed to the hr-2 was getting me pissed, I am getting a raptor and I got the hr2 but I couldnt tell the sound Difference. I know once production goes in and I get her home to listen to evenly I am sure to hear a difference (btw I am listening to the xp-7 now and I really do believe it sonic is more airy then the hr2, so their is a sonic difference I hear in the RS products)
I support the Raptor so much that I am on the list to buy asap...lol

I learned so much from SUGARFRIED about the shure line and how to get a good sound it wasewnt even funny. bte everyone on the boards you most know that SF is one hell of a guy, pure gentlemen..somuch so I think we must find a excuse to meet up again dude. people if everyone at shure is like the two people at the meet then I know my canal phone company for life. great people!

there is somuch more but I got to take a shower...

one thing is that meeting up with the guys I knew, or esp meeting the guys I didnt know made the meet hands down for me...that was so cool and I think it was the friendlyst meet yet...

all you boys (and Rays wife) rule!

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #60 of 144
Wow, it sounds like you all had a great time. I tried to make it down there, but sadly, i couldn't get a ride.

Anyway, keep an eye on the meet board, i'll be slowly putting together the milwaukee meet for all of those who weren't able to make this meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back