Chicago Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 1/29/05
Jan 30, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #61 of 144
First, a huge thank to elrod-tom for designated driver duties from Detroit to Chicago and back. We had a few typical road-trip adventures, lots of conversation, and much discussion about disgusting movie moments. I had a great time!

Everyone is talking about the Ray Samuels Raptor and I must admit, it was fantastic. The only reason I'm not going to rave about it as much as others is due to a little box sitting next to it called the SR71. I also did the A/B testing between the tube amp and the SR71, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference once volume levels were adjusted. Yes, the SR71 needs batteries, and no you can't swap out tubes to adjust the sound like you can with the Raptor. The Raptor is an incredible value against just about anything else that was at the meet, but I felt that the SR71 quickly made it appear (for me) to be a bad value if it's true that the Raptor will cost around 2x the SR71. Which is too bad b/c the only thing I disliked about the SR71 was the 1/8" headphone adapter issue which the Raptor solves. Hmm.

I was blown away by the Meridian G08 / Blockhead / Cardas-cabled balanced SD600s. Wow. I have never heard anything sound so good. Wow. For me, this was the best single sound I heard at the show. Later I tried the SR71 in place of the blockhead, and my HD650s with Zu cables in place of tuberoller's balanced HD600. I concluded that the amazing sound is due mostly to the Meridian player. I walked away with a belief that Meridian analog --> SR71 --> Sennheiser is a very synergistic combination. Honestly even Ray's 508.24 sounded fantastic. Perhaps Meridian sound is just to my taste, or perhaps it just synergizes well with the Sennheisers?

I also finally got a chance to really sit down with the Benchmark DAC1. Yes, it rocks. Compared to the other setups, it felt a little dry... just unemotional... but I was prepared for that based on Benchmark's own technical material re: jitter harmonics adding to midrange response. No question, it felt as "detailed" as anything else at the meet, but somehow I walked away thinking that the DAC1 just doesn't have a top-tier headphone amp. I wonder what the DAC1/SR71 combo would be like. I should have tried it.

The most impressive thing about the Wadia was the remote control that could be used as an assault weapon. It felt very German... unbelievable build quality combined with inane ergonomics and button labeling. It sounded as good as the G08. But honestly (and maybe my opinions will differ from others here due to my untrained ear) I didn't think it was any better than the G08. It was bigger. It was heavier. It was more expensive than the car we drove to the meet in. But, I did not think it sounded any better. The Wadia was outputting to a Wadio preamp (I think) that was then going to a blockhead with stepped attenuators, then to another balanced HD600. Side-by-side against the Meridian/Blockhead combo, I'd choose the latter. Unless there were 40 six year old undead zombies chasing me, in which case the Wadia remote would be an asset.

I tried balanced (stock cable) vs. unbalanced (cardas I think) HD650s against the DAC1 and felt that balanced sounded a little more rich and open. There were two variables at play however so I can't be sure whether balanced is actually better.

One of my road trip companions brought an AOS Flute DAC/amp combo that I am very impressed with. There were better pieces of equipment at the show, but nothing that could compete on quality, features, size and price all at the same time. The Coda/overture didn't sound that much better, the SR71 doesn't include a DAC, the various tube amps / high-end transports cost waaaaay more. The Flute is a bargain no matter how you look at it. It doesn't get nearly the kind of attention it probably should.

Speaking of which, the Headroom Overture / Coda was pretty slick too. Small, compact, looks nice. The "limited edition" thing kind of turned me off, given that we're going to start seeing the same thing in a wide variety of products this year. Making it a "limited edition" deal seemed like one of those marketing things that I don't really take well to. The Overture has the same DAC as an Emu 1212m. The Coda was a nice sounding amp, although I definitely would choose the SR71 over it. No question, the packaging is very good. I just didn't feel as amazed. It offers the same kind of feature set as the Flute, and generally the same sort of sound you could get from a $200 Emu and a $400 SR71, for about the same price. It does provide portability, but I don't really consider it paradigm-shifting. Props to Headroom, though, for somehow being one of the few to actually push this in the direction it needs to get. I'd be more up on this if I hadn't known about the Flute prior to the meet.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Sennheiser HD6xx headphones kept up with every piece of equipment thrown at them. They truly are phenomenal headphones for any application, and I have no regrets about my purchase. My biggest disappointment was in not getting to try a pair of Qualias, that would have been awesome if one had been at the meet.

The Grace 902m was at the meet and a bit of a disappointment for me. I did not think it sounded particularly good. I don't know what it was, maybe a lack of synergy with Sennheisers or something else. It felt dull and not very detailed. Mushy. Muddy? Between the DAC1 to its right and the Meridian to its left, it just felt... blah.

Toward the end, a bunch of us congregated upstairs in Ray's house to listen to some LPs. He was driving it through his own preamps and some third party power amps (Carys or something). The sound was exquisite. However IMO one of the forgotten stars of the show are his loudspeakers, which I understand were not profitable, did not go into production but nevertheless sound very, very good. He has a Nakamichi tape deck that I'd kill for.

Ray's wife cooked up a storm, unfortunately I think I am the only vegetarian on head-fi so I ended up eating a whole lot of white rice
smily_headphones1.gif
The hummus was almost as good as the SR71.

It was great to meet so many people; even though I'm a newbie here, I felt comfortable and I hope to get to know everyone better during the duration of this hobby. (Hopefully six months, otherwise I might run into financial issues.)

Huge thanks to Ray Samuel's family for hosting and accommodating, to Tom for driving us Detroiters and Canadians to and fro, and to everyone who brought and lent their equipment for the meet! This was my first one and I'm looking forward to the next!

As for me, I'm still as conflicted as before, but facing different choices. The DAC1 sounds honest but the Meridian sounds beautiful and I think I'm leaning towards beauty. I'm just not sure if I should buy into Meridian, which is not a playback device so much as it is a system all tied together via MLP. With the G08, what you're really paying for is the intellectual property of MLP, Trifield, active loudspeakers, etc. and I am not sure if I'm ready to take the step, or if the G08 is worth the added premium if I don't.

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #62 of 144
Quote:

The new Grado SR-325i sounds a bit better than the old SR-325. The older 325 sounds a bit too hyped up in the lows and the highs in comparison.

kinda good news even though i am not in the market for new cans at any time in the near future.I am pretty much set.
But when i had the 325 "in house" for an extensive session it was my thought they were a bit over the top as you describe.
Not for me for critical listening and for lesser events I have my old relaible the MS-1s.
For the real deal I ramp straight up to my RS-1s.Anything in the middle is covered by the two headphone overlap so another set is not a thing considered as yet (i also use dedicated sealed cans for recording sessions but that is different than listening for pleasure)
The strange thing is though I found this headphone,the 325,ideal for movie viewing and the very frequency response abberations i did not like for music i loved for movie FX sounds
confused.gif

Quote:

If I had to buy an amp on impulse, it has to be the Emmeline SR-71. This little amp continued to impress me with every listen.

i really do need to get out more.This amp and a couple of others i have not yet heard but really need to give a listen to see where amps have gone since my last amp "free for all" litening session.It IS helpful though to have direct comparison reviews to amps i DO know.

Quote:

Raptor is awesome just sounded amazing. The meet was really one of if not the best ever. The equipment was massive, tons of great people and the food was unbelievably good and so much of it

The Chicago Head-fi mafia strikes again !

way too much power and glory out that way.Moderator Central,manufacturers running around half dressed chasing barely dressed wimmin ! A damn nightmare in the making folks.............Methinks it is time for the east coast to step up and show these "pretenders how this crap is done with our typical style and flair !
High End Audio really is a New York beast that if you know your history is very bronx-brooklyn based.
icon10.gif

Quote:

There was a group of us, sitting in a circle, and Ray was manning an A/B box, switching between the Raptor and HR-2.

must......fight .....the ......temptation.......to ......comment.....on.......... the ...........A/B........ whatchamacallit........... thingy
tongue.gif

Quote:

The RS-1 sounded more alive than I've ever heard it before through this amp, and that's saying quite a bit considering how lively of a can it is to start with.

Uh oh.Don't do this to me man.I am not a rich person and temptation can be a real b*tch when it is something this juicy looking and you then say it ALSO sounds good.I would rather you said "it really sucked with Grados" or it buzzed or something
icon10.gif

Quote:

The Headroom Coda/Overture was great as well, though I don't have much of a point of reference with regard to good computer audio. I don't think very many people got a chance to listen to it (playing FLAC files, listening on SR225s). I'm a little confused as to why Headroom is making this a limited-run item, as I think that it has tremendous potential. I only got to listen to this for about 15 minutes though, so hopefully someone will come along with a more detailed impression.

Another Rickmeister must hear.On my list of "things to do" before i die
cool.gif

Quote:

We had a gang of 4 from the greater Detroit area (actually 2 from Detroit-suburb Canada), and another we picked up on the way. It made for a very long day (started out @ 7:00 AM and I just got home!!)

the Detroit "hit squad" arm of the Chicago head-Fi Mafia
tongue.gif

you guys sound like a great time was had by all and from where i sit it looks like this was one of the more successful meets ever.Very cool.

but i DO wish i had skipped this thread because now the very existance of this new amp,the Raptor,is eating me up and i really need to log out and go watch somethin entirely stupid on TV so i can forget all about the rave descriptions .

between Headroom and the new offerings and now this i can see where this joint is finally trying to make me part with some loot and i am not pleased one bit dammit !

hehe

cheers guys

rickmeister rex (looks like 'rickeraptor' is now off the list being an infringement on the Raptor name )

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #63 of 144
Well first I must echo everyones thanks to Ray Samuels and his Family. I felt immediately at home in his house and was repeatedly suprised by how gracious and kind he was. The food was absolutely wonderfull, my personal favourite was the meatballs.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I also quite like the AKG K340 - but only on expensive equipment.

Hey man, I guess we didn't really get properly introduced. It's too bad as I would have liked to talk to you more. Glad you liked my K340's, I agree about the expensive equipment comment... now if only I had some.
frown.gif
Did you get a chance to listen to my portable rig? You got a nice picture of it there, do you mind if I grab it? Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Ok let me get my load on with some pics...brb

Nice pics Billy, it looks like Todd is crushing my head in that first one...
biggrin.gif

The second to last pic that you took of the raptor is my new wallpaper.
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
All you had to do was ask... I showed it to a number of people.

It's true, he whipped it out for me.
icon10.gif

Ok, that might have not been the best way to say that... anyways, the gold knob was cool.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Glad to have been able to meet a new set of Chicago-ians and otherwise, considering tyrion was coming from hundreds of miles away and philodox hopped the border just to be here.

Yeah... I just got back.
eek.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
philodox's AKG340s are very nice headphones, surprising for something their age.

Glad you liked them... I am afraid that the meet has ruined them for me though. I know how good they can sound on good equipment now and my wallet just dissintegrated in my hands.
blink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by swiego
One of my road trip companions brought an AOS Flute DAC/amp combo that I am very impressed with. There were better pieces of equipment at the show, but nothing that could compete on quality, features, size and price all at the same time. The Coda/overture didn't sound that much better, the SR71 doesn't include a DAC, the various tube amps / high-end transports cost waaaaay more. The Flute is a bargain no matter how you look at it. It doesn't get nearly the kind of attention it probably should.

I agree completely... now if only I hadn't almost killed two people with it.
redface.gif

I suppose that could use some further explination. It seems that the Flute does not like to be left on for long periods of time without a load to drive and then have a headphone plugged into it. Both Tom and Fred had an 'interesting' first experience with it. After powering it off and then turning it back on it works fine and if you don't leave it sans headphones for any long period of time it does not happen. This is why I never encountered it before as I am always listening to it when it is on.
icon10.gif

I will post later with my impressions on the gear I tried, but I will say for now that the people that were there made the meet. I really enjoyed hanging out with you guys.
cool.gif

Special thanks goes out to Tom for driving us down to Chicago from Detroit and Jake for putting me up in his house. Hopefully I can return the favour sometime. [ok, no driving until I get my license.
icon10.gif
]

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #64 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
That Raptor looks like the tube amp for my budget. If only something had to be done about the heat...
evil_smiley.gif

I don't think the heat is too much to worry about if you don't have small children around. I talked w/ Ray about it quite a bit. The tubes he is using pull about 2 amps and do get quite hot as does the power supply. Ray's had been plugged in for days on end and it doesn't get any hotter w/ use, even driving tough loads.
It really does get alot of the flavor of the Stealth (tough to hear a difference really) and is very small and sounds like it'll come in quite a bit cheaper though Ray hasn't set final pricing. In fact, I'd be looking to buy one if I didn't already have the Stealth. Ray's gonna have a tough time keeping up w/ the orders on this one- especially once there are a few out there in the world and folks can hear them for themselves. Just great sound.
CPW

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #65 of 144
Since this was my first head-fi meet, I would have to say that it was the best and worst one I've ever attended. Seriously, this was a great time.

That Wadia setup was INSANE....the remote alone was a true piece of art and could also be used as a weapon. The AKG elctrostat / dynamic hybrids were a very interesting set of cans..too bad they no longer make them. I also now want a pair AKG 271S....I would like a nice pair of sealed headphones for my studio.

It was very cool to meet other head-fiers. Not only is it good to know that I am not the only one with “the sickness” , but there are people more sick than me!!! It is always good to see people as passionate about a hobby (others would say a way of life) as the group of people at this meet.
I look forward to future meets!!! I may even travel up to the next Milwaukee meet to visit my homeland of beer and cheese.

Last but not least...many thanks to Ray and family for being great hosts and great cooks....who knew that I would get stuffed at a party doing the whole low carb thing...those meatballs and beef rocked!!!!!

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #66 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Nice pics Billy, it looks like Todd is crushing my head in that first one...
biggrin.gif

Grrrr Todd MAD, no get turn with amp. Me smash!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #67 of 144
Just made it back to Florida from Chicago. I was only at the meet for a few hours but it was a great few hours. Ray, what can I say, you, your wife, Tubes and everyone else that put the meet together, great job! Ray, I am glad I stayed for the food (he blocked the door so cpw and I couldn't leave), it was amazing.

I hate to say it but the best thing I listened to at the meet was Ray's speaker set up. All I can say is wow! The Raptor was awesome as well. After the speakers I spent the most time with the Raptor and Stealth, and the Raptor is a baby Stealth in that it has not preamp capability. Sound wise it is an equal to the Stealth. Another amp I enjoyed was the Dynahi built by someone whose name I forget (I am so sorry but I had a lot of names to absorb in a short time). The amp was very nice. It was fast and detailed.

I should have prefaced my comments by stating that I spend very little time with all of the above as I spent most of the time talking to people. As always, that is the best part of the meet. This meet was no exception, they all were great. My only regret is that I was there for such a short time but my wife, law partner and his wife were in town with me and required my presence Satuday night.

Maybe if I have another meet I can get some of you guys down to Flordia for some sun, you guys need it. Ray, I hope you shared some the cake with the group and didn't keep it for yourself
biggrin.gif
. Great time, great people and great gear.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #68 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Maybe if I have another meet I can get some of you guys down to Flordia for some sun, you guys need it. Ray, I hope you shared some the cake with the group and didn't keep it for yourself
biggrin.gif
. Great time, great people and great gear.

Hi Mike...
At the end of the meet, few of us came up to my place & listen to the vinyl to almost 1.30AM & my wife made tea & cofee & had one of those unbeliveable cakes cut & served, they all liked it, I did mention to them as who made it & how it came all the way from Florida, as I did not want them to think that my wife made it, Grace, my wife, was astonished as to how tastfull it was. Thanks again for bringing it all the way to Chicago & it was fun to see you here my freind. Please say thank you to the little sweetheart from all of us. We love her all. I do have one more cake left, that I won't share even with my dad.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #70 of 144
Wow, definitely wish transferring colleges could have waited until after this meet. Glad to hear a great time was had by all, the food looks delicious and it sounds like it would've been awesome to hear things and just hang out.

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #72 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
sure, I am thinking of throwing something smaller in springish at my parents place again.

You'd better, or else that was my last Chicago meet.
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #73 of 144
Quote:

I listened to the Flute for a bit too but it didn't thrill me at all. I thought the Headroom Coda/Overture was much better sounding. True the Flute is much smaller and is more portable but it just sounded kinda bland to me.

I listened to the Grace and thought it was very average. It was outclassed by a lot of other amps there that were a lot cheaper too.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #74 of 144
Sounds like a really terrific meet, everyone. Sure wish I could have treked north to visit with Ray, and meet the Chicago bunch. Glad Milke (tyrion) was there to represent the Florida chapter.

I mostly upset about missing out on that spread produced by Ray's amazing wife - nothin' like home cookin'.

Oh, yeah, lots of cool gear too
biggrin.gif
The Raptor seems a winner - fills a niche in the amp world perfectly.

Looking forward to more impressions - keep 'em coming.

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #75 of 144
Sounds like fun guys. I might have joined you, but the NY meet was closer
biggrin.gif

This Raptor looks like a nice package. I would enjoy a comparison to some of the other good small tube designs like the Earmax Pro. I imagine that the EMP and the Raptor will be very similar in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back