Cheap Headphone "Jewels"?
Jun 10, 2011 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Crynix

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a pair of ATH-M50S and I am VERY satisfied. I switched to them from (possibly) defective HD555's and they are so much better. The problem is that I'm afraid to wear them to school (I'm 13). Are there any headphone's/iem's for under $30 that are considered "jewels"? I don't really care what they look like, as long as they have decent sound quality (for their price). I bought a pair of JVC Marshmallows on Amazon to walk to school with, but I would prefer over-ear headphones (don't know if you can get any for that price). Any opinions would be appreciated! 

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 12
Koss KSC75 for under $20.
Sound more balanced than the more expensive PortaPro. I rank them up there with the Grado SR60/80.
Heck, for such a low price, get a set just for giggles.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't get how you'll feel embarrassed with the M50s on in school...

Anyway, I feel that the Superluxes make very good big-for-buck headphones. Easily one of the best budget headphones out there.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I don't get how you'll feel embarrassed with the M50s on in school...

Anyway, I feel that the Superluxes make very good big-for-buck headphones. Easily one of the best budget headphones out there.

I think he's worried about them getting stolen. Notice he said 'afraid' and not 'embarrased.' For a 13 year old, I'd say he's right in being hesitant on bringing his headphones.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I think he's worried about them getting stolen. Notice he said 'afraid' and not 'embarrased.' For a 13 year old, I'd say he's right in being hesitant on bringing his headphones.

Exactly, everyone else uses iBuds and cheap SkullCandies. If someone sees a pair of full size headphones I'm sure they'll figure "wow, those are expensive!"

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 12
My son got an ipod touch and Sony buds stolen earlier this year in a very safe school so that stuff happens everyday....smart to bring something you wouldn't mind loosing, good move. The previous posters all gave good items for ya I just wanted to give cudo's for thinking about that realistically because it does happen. 
 Enjoy the Music

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I am not sure wherre or how much you can find them for, but dt231 from beyer dynamic are pretty good for the price.

I second this – they sound awesome. Their biggest problem is they don't really isolate… at all (I think it was measured at up to 8db or so, but not even at all frequencies. One of the main reasons why I upgraded to the 770). So they may be closed, but you don't get the typical benefits of closed 'phones.
On the other hand, they really DO sound quite good. Transparent, good tight bass, not boomy (may be too little if you're a basshead tho), nice detailed midrange, never strained, not fatiguing at all. And the velour ear pads are quite comfortable.

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Exactly, everyone else uses iBuds and cheap SkullCandies. If someone sees a pair of full size headphones I'm sure they'll figure "wow, those are expensive!"

not really, i bring my SRH840s to school (i'm in year 10) and i always keep them close enough (around my neck or in my bag). I'm the only person who has these and they lack style. nobody really gives what headphones you have. People dont steal headphones, only earphones. If you are careful, you shouldnt need to worry about them, though it may be my school...

Jun 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
not really, i bring my SRH840s to school (i'm in year 10) and i always keep them close enough (around my neck or in my bag). I'm the only person who has these and they lack style. nobody really gives what headphones you have. People dont steal headphones, only earphones. If you are careful, you shouldnt need to worry about them, though it may be my school...  

Gotta agree with this. In my school, truckloads of iBuds, Tours, Skullcandy and SonicGear earphones gets misplaced, and to some extent, stolen.

I left my M50 on my desk for 2 hours, and no one even bothered to look at it.

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 12
Ehh, depends on the school. Everyone knows my gear.. so nobody touches it. There are only 2 grados at our school, and 1 of them is mine. Same with the Audio Technicas. There are 5 or 6 at our school, but i'm the only one who wears full sized ones (ad700s).

on the other hand, there are probably about 30 or 40 beats..so if you misplace it, it'll probably get lost..

Err..over ear or on ear?

Looking at joker's thread, the ksc75 and portapro are the only ones in your budget (portapro is a bit over)

That's all I can think of right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back