CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Feb 9, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #391 of 702
So I've been listening to MQA Tidal on my MacBook Air - so I have software decoding but using the built in DAC (it sounds pretty good to be honest) but I'd like to try Tidal with a better DAC (and music in general although my MacBook is not my primary listening device). What is not clear to me is do I need an MQA compatible DAC as well to take advantage of the full abilities of MQA - or will any DAC capable of higher resolutions work since the decoding is happening on the software side?

I have a Pioneer XDP100 and am looking forward to the Android app whenever it arrives but in the meantime I'd like to expand the range of the MacBook. Also I'd like a DAC I can use in a setup with my smartphone as well in certain situations so something like the Meridien Explorer2 is less than ideal since it does not have a built in battery.

Thanks!

I strongly recommend Meridian Explorer 2, not only for built in MQA decoding but also it's way of processing music is incredible for me. I did not use any other DAC but I read some review of them, and at that price point Explorer 2 is extremely high quality. I am getting highest quality when I go with following setup (Keep in mind still Android Tidal app is is not supporting MQA, when it does I mean when we will be able to get MQA files on the phone following scenario will sound better I think): 

Android phone (I have LG V20) > USB Audio Player Pro running with Bit Perfect option selected on my phone> A USB C Type to full USB converter cable connected to phone> a Y type Mini USB cable connected to converter cable > the other USB part of this Y type cable (which is for extra power if needed) is connected to a powerbank > an AMP (I have a simple one, Creative Sound Blaster E1) connected to Line Out of Explorer 2 > And finally my IEMs, 1 More Triple Driver plugged in to AMPs headphone out.

I don't know why but this phone > USB Audio Player Pro with Bit Perfect > Explorer 2 setup sounds better than PC > Explorer 2 > IEM setup. May be PC doing some process to the music before transferring it to Explorer 2?? Because UAPP Bit Perfect guarantees that the digital bits of music file is not being modified on the phone in any meaning and it directly goes to the DAC. Theoritacally also PC must do same thing when a USB DAC connected to it right?   

By the way. My LG20 did not feed Explorer 2 when I connected directly to the phone with USB C Type to USB converter. But I have seen a video that a man connected one of HTC phone to the Explorer 2 without a powerbank it got energy directly from phone. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #392 of 702
We A/B tested it here, and both of us, after being 100% sure we could tell an obvious difference when we knew we were listening to MQA, completely and utterly failed to tell any difference in A/B tests.

The important thing in the test is to get the volume exactly the same, as the MQA files are quieter than HiFi.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #393 of 702
  i think the tidal software unfolds to a certain level (88khz & 96khz). for the full unfold of 192khz and above , then thats where the mqa certified dacs come in.. there is an option on the tidal setting to set a passthrough uncoded option..then the mqa dac can do its magic and unfold fully 
at least thats how i understand it..

Being an engineer I always visualize procedures. Therefore I elaborated some charts as a visual explanation of unfolding MQA as I understood the process.
You can reach my visual explanation here.
If anything wrong in it please do not hesitate to tell me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #394 of 702
I just received a TIDAL app notification for my Mac. I was wondering if anyone knows what the update is about since there are no details ...

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #395 of 702
I have been listening to MQA for the past week and albums that I have listened to hundreds of times over vinyl on marantz and dual turntable 30 years ago finally take me back to those days but x2.

I applaude Bob for delivering better sound quality and providing an elegant solution that will make it available to the masses.

We should all be behind improving audio quality delivering music as it should be

Fully agree with you!

I made some charts how I interpret the different processes:
1. What is the quality of the music received with a device doesn't decode MQA?
2. How the original master sound quality is delivered using rendering?
3. How the original master sound quality is delivered using devices capable of full decoding MQA?
4. What sound quality can be achieved using an MQA device with a non MQA external DAC?
You can find them by clicking my name.
More thoughts can be found here

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #397 of 702
Should mqa pass through be enabled or disabled for optical out to schiit dac?

Disabled.  Pass-through should only be used for MQA-capable DACs (decoding task bypasses TIDAL and is passed through to the DAC).

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #398 of 702
Deleted post

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #399 of 702
YES IT WORKS!!!! :grinning: MQA on Windows 7

Here is how I did it.
I have the DAC Meridian Explorer2 (with MQA support chip integrated - bought in January 2016 in Sweden).
PC, Windows 7 - Service Pack 1. Tidal - "HiFi" account (trial).

1. Uninstall previous Meridian Explorer 2 drivers.
2. Reboot the computer
3. Press F2 or F8 to get to Advanced Boot Menu
4. Select the bottom most alternative "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
5. The computer starts what looks as normally.
(If the ME2 is connected, Windows might automatically install the driver and say "you need driver signature...", if so just uninstall it and proceed to install the latest driver.
6. Get the lates drivers 3.34.1.0 from Meridian support
7. Also get the DAC uploader 1717 (Win) - (this will update the internal firmware in the DAC later, continue reading...)
8. Execute the driver setup (with or without the DAC connected).
9. Follow the instructions normally.
10. The DAC drivers will now be installed (without the "you need driver signature..." message popping up.)
11. The last this the setup will say is "disconnect and reconnect the driver", after doing this just click "No" and then "Finish".
- So far so good :)
12. Now open the DAC uploader
13. Click "Scan" and now the latest DAC driver should appear in the drop down curtain (in my case it said "found a device with firmware v.1675")
14. Select this one ("021.v1717.bin" i think) and then click "load".
15. After this I think the firmware upgrade stopped halfway through the update for somewhat 3-4 minutes ("be patient")
16. Then it continues until the green bar is full.
17. The Uploader will ask you to disconnect and reconnect the DAC again.
18. After doing this you get no "Finish" message so just exit the setup.
19. Now open Tidal (with HiFi account) and search for "mqa" in the search bar and under ALBUMS should be Mozart Violin concerto.
20. Now play this album. (Still only one light on the ME2 shines)
21. Now, by the timer to the right it either says "HiFi" or "Master". Click on this.
22. Select Quality: HiFi/Master
23. Sound output: Select the Speakers (Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC audio)
24. As you hold the mouse over this a settings sign appears. Click this.
25. Here when you select "Use exclusive mode" two lights will shine (when you play the song, or restart the song/ change song)
26. You must also select "Passthrough MQA" now all three light shine and the first one will shine Blue. (when you play the song, or restart the song/ change song).
27. Congratulations!!! :grinning:

Hope this helps!
And thanks to Meridian Support for really good customer service!
// Micke

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #401 of 702
...also, This method will require that you start up you computer this way for it to work (until Meridian fixes the signature problem).
And, if the DAC stops playing regular songs, try disconnecting and reconnecting it and restart tidal.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #402 of 702
...also, This method will require that you start up you computer this way for it to work (until Meridian fixes the signature problem).
And, if the DAC stops playing regular songs, try disconnecting and reconnecting it and restart tidal.

What is the point of Steps 3-5? I've used my ME2 on multiple computers running Windows 7 and 10 and it worked fine without these steps.

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #404 of 702
 ​
 ​
MQA and Universal Music Group Announce Collaboration To Advance Hi-Res On-Demand Streaming

With Warner already on board and streaming MQA-encoded hi-res music via TIDAL, another major has signed on, announcing their collaboration with MQA today: Universal Music Group (UMG). What labels is Universal Music Group home to? Blue Note, Capitol, Abbey Road Studios, EMI, Decca Records, Deutsche Grammophon, ECM, Mercury Classics, Motown, Polydor, Verve, Virgin EMI, and more. (Click on the following link to see a complete list of Univeral Music Group's labels.)

Today's big news--and this is big hi-res music news--is the announcement of the agreement. Timeline for releases and additional specifics will have to come from UMG, and I'm definitely looking forward to finding out more details as soon as they're ready to say more.

I've attached the official press release file below.

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #405 of 702

​
 ​
MQA and Universal Music Group Announce Collaboration To Advance Hi-Res On-Demand Streaming

With Warner already on board and streaming MQA-encoded hi-res music via TIDAL, another major has signed on, announcing their collaboration with MQA today: Universal Music Group (UMG). What labels is Universal Music Group home to? Blue Note, Capitol, Abbey Road Studios, EMI, Decca Records, Deutsche Grammophon, ECM, Mercury Classics, Motown, Polydor, Verve, Virgin EMI, and more. (Click on the following link to see a complete list of Univeral Music Group's labels.)

Today's big news--and this is big hi-res music news--is the announcement of the agreement. Timeline for releases and additional specifics will have to come from UMG, and I'm definitely looking forward to finding out more details as soon as they're ready to say more.

I've attached the official press release file below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back