CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Jan 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #376 of 702
I've been trying out the free month of TIDAL and I might stick with it. Not because of MQA - I can't tell a difference between it and the other hifi files. However, their music selection is really, really good.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #377 of 702
I have been listening to MQA for the past week and albums that I have listened to hundreds of times over vinyl on marantz and dual turntable 30 years ago finally take me back to those days but x2.

I applaude Bob for delivering better sound quality and providing an elegant solution that will make it available to the masses.

We should all be behind improving audio quality delivering music as it should be

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #378 of 702
I've been trying out the free month of TIDAL and I might stick with it. Not because of MQA - I can't tell a difference between it and the other hifi files. However, their music selection is really, really good.

Probably the first to say they can't hear a difference.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #380 of 702
Anywhere to see complete list?

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #382 of 702
  It's not complete, but it's the best there is at the moment It's being updated every day.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10VtON9VjMAt3uyHC2-Oo2MjIa3orv9DKZfwiRQKmTAA/edit#gid=945476039

Is there anyway to put that into chronological order of addition or highlight new additions?

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #384 of 702
So I've been listening to MQA Tidal on my MacBook Air - so I have software decoding but using the built in DAC (it sounds pretty good to be honest) but I'd like to try Tidal with a better DAC (and music in general although my MacBook is not my primary listening device). What is not clear to me is do I need an MQA compatible DAC as well to take advantage of the full abilities of MQA - or will any DAC capable of higher resolutions work since the decoding is happening on the software side?

I have a Pioneer XDP100 and am looking forward to the Android app whenever it arrives but in the meantime I'd like to expand the range of the MacBook. Also I'd like a DAC I can use in a setup with my smartphone as well in certain situations so something like the Meridien Explorer2 is less than ideal since it does not have a built in battery.

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #387 of 702
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #389 of 702
So I've been listening to MQA Tidal on my MacBook Air - so I have software decoding but using the built in DAC (it sounds pretty good to be honest) but I'd like to try Tidal with a better DAC (and music in general although my MacBook is not my primary listening device). What is not clear to me is do I need an MQA compatible DAC as well to take advantage of the full abilities of MQA - or will any DAC capable of higher resolutions work since the decoding is happening on the software side?

I have a Pioneer XDP100 and am looking forward to the Android app whenever it arrives but in the meantime I'd like to expand the range of the MacBook. Also I'd like a DAC I can use in a setup with my smartphone as well in certain situations so something like the Meridien Explorer2 is less than ideal since it does not have a built in battery.

Thanks!

i think the tidal software unfolds to a certain level (88khz & 96khz). for the full unfold of 192khz and above , then thats where the mqa certified dacs come in.. there is an option on the tidal setting to set a passthrough uncoded option..then the mqa dac can do its magic and unfold fully 
at least thats how i understand it..

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #390 of 702
i think the tidal software unfolds to a certain level (88khz & 96khz). for the full unfold of 192khz and above , then thats where the mqa certified dacs come in.. there is an option on the tidal setting to set a passthrough uncoded option..then the mqa dac can do its magic and unfold fully 
at least thats how i understand it..

This is correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back