CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Feb 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #406 of 702
Big news, getting a huge label like that is certainly something MQA needs to not just survive, but flourish. Hopefully MQA will soon be available on more devices so we don't need to buy new DAC's, and the big one Ill be waiting for, though it may be a way off, is when MQA comes to mobile platforms like the iPhone.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #410 of 702
  Good news, hope Tidal adds those new albums sooner. 

and also that they start to categorize their mqa content via genre, artist, etc.
like c'mon Tidal,...can't be all that difficult to do.
i've emailed them on this (plus a request for an EQ app)
support@tidal.com
more people should just send them an email, requesting such, too.

i'm also sometimes getting buffering/stuttering upon
using mqa on tidal..have to turn it on then off again.
anyone else?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #411 of 702
Woo hoo! I get to buy all my music all over again FTW!

I suppose at least it'll be "available" and maybe we'll see some re-do of current and back catalogue. 

What I would really like to see here is a new buying model (aside from streaming) where I get rights to an album outright.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #412 of 702
Big news, getting a huge label like that is certainly something MQA needs to not just survive, but flourish. Hopefully MQA will soon be available on more devices so we don't need to buy new DAC's, and the big one Ill be waiting for, though it may be a way off, is when MQA comes to mobile platforms like the iPhone.

Yes, I'll be very happy when the TIDAL app on my AK240SS can play MQA files.

So, I wonder what's holding up Sony from coming on board with its catalog?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #413 of 702
Yes, I'll be very happy when the TIDAL app on my AK240SS can play MQA files.

So, I wonder what's holding up Sony from coming on board with its catalog?

Think Betamax. Sony always plays differently.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #414 of 702
Hope the beatles also get some mqa stuff, though i would rather just get the remaster Marting saved on 24bit since I doubt MQA would give much. Rather to have normal hires flac files than MQA encoded, then again MQA would still be better than the 16/24bit 44.1/48/96? khz versions available now

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #416 of 702
  Hope the beatles also get some mqa stuff, though i would rather just get the remaster Marting saved on 24bit since I doubt MQA would give much. Rather to have normal hires flac files than MQA encoded, then again MQA would still be better than the 16/24bit 44.1/48/96? khz versions available now

My experience so far is that in many cases, MQA encoded files sound better than their FLAC Hi Res alternatives. The presentation in the high frequencies is smoother without any loss of detail. Same source components, so the only difference in comparison is the music.

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #417 of 702
The problem is that for full decoding you would need a new device, software decoding is only available on tidal app so far. so unless you spend money on a device with support you are stuck with 16/48 question is are they any better than whats already out there?

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #418 of 702

My experience so far is that in many cases, MQA encoded files sound better than their FLAC Hi Res alternatives. The presentation in the high frequencies is smoother without any loss of detail. Same source components, so the only difference in comparison is the music.

As I understood it MQA is like a zip or like flac that your dac (if it has the right firmware) can decode. how can a decoded file sound better than the original unpacked 24 bit master file? A flac file ((of a 16 bit original) also can´t sound "better" than the original 16 bit file, or am I wrong here? It´s just packed and the DAC decodes the file before playing it. hmm, but maybe you know more about that?

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #419 of 702
  The problem is that for full decoding you would need a new device, software decoding is only available on tidal app so far. so unless you spend money on a device with support you are stuck with 16/48 question is are they any better than whats already out there?

I'm using the TIDAL app for my observations between MQA and Hi Res FLAC. Generally, MQA sounds better, in my view.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #420 of 702

As I understood it MQA is like a zip or like flac that your dac (if it has the right firmware) can decode. how can a decoded file sound better than the original unpacked 24 bit master file? A flac file ((of a 16 bit original) also can´t sound "better" than the original 16 bit file, or am I wrong here? It´s just packed and the DAC decodes the file before playing it. hmm, but maybe you know more about that?

There's more to MQA than just making a Hi Res album able to stream. Part of the MQA experience is remastering and using a deblurring circuit to eliminate pre ringing innate in digital recordings, according to Meridian. I attribute the better sound of MQA to this deblurring process. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back