Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #751 of 1,326

Do you guys literally believe Apple cares about audiophile world and make our dreams true? Nope, I don,t.

Like I said, "in my dreams..."  (and only in my dreams - especially the card reader - no way will Apple ever give us a card reader.)

redface.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #752 of 1,326

Like I said, "in my dreams..."  (and only in my dreams - especially the card reader - no way will Apple ever give us a card reader.)

redface.gif

(Changing the topic) What we need is actually coaxial input on M8. That would make hell of a difference considering the daps coming with coax output and everyone would be happy 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #754 of 1,326
I don't want a Touch as it will distract me from the music.

That's not necessarily true.....I used to just listen to my Touch all the time.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #755 of 1,326
I don't want a Touch as it will distract me from the music. I'd like to see an iPod Pro with 300 GB SSD and a built-in DAC that can go toe to toe with A&K etc.

That's not necessarily true.....I used to just listen to my Touch all the time.

I use a touch probably 70% of the time.  Minimal apps, airplane mode, no email/facetime/messages, etc.  Just a player with a bitchin' touch screen interface, and I can run EQu or Equalizer or FLAC player if I so desire, though I never bother...  I use a 160 gb classic the rest of the time, as it stores all my ALAC content, at least so far.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #757 of 1,326
I don't want a Touch as it will distract me from the music.

I dunno, man. I have to join the responses here. I use my touch about 75% of the time for portable and only for music. Never ever ever any of the distracting riff-raff. That's what my tablet is for.

And the HUGE advantage is being able to use streaming services. I can't live without MOG. Having mostly all the music in world at your fingertips and downloadable for when away from Wi-Fi? Priceless! :)

Now if only my M8 would finally come...and get my beloved touch plugged into it..

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #758 of 1,326
I dunno, man. I have to join the responses here. I use my touch about 75% of the time for portable and only for music. Never ever ever any of the distracting riff-raff. That's what my tablet is for.

And the HUGE advantage is being able to use streaming services. I can't live without MOG. Having mostly all the music in world at your fingertips and downloadable for when away from Wi-Fi? Priceless! :)

Now if only my M8 would finally come...and get my beloved touch plugged into it..

+1. MOG gives 320 Kbps downloads - better than iTunes or Amazon. The Touch lets me use the Concert Vault and Archive apps for live music, and internet radio, and the NPR music app. My 5g sounds better through the headphone out than my 4g or any of my Classics do through an LOD/amp. It's a fantastic device - and a great match with the M8...

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #759 of 1,326
You guys are making me want to overcome my inherent cheapskate nature and try MOG. actually Mr. Goodman first got me thinking about MOG. I have become a streaming convert, but do miss the fidelity of higher res. 320 files seem a workable compromise.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #760 of 1,326
Hi fellows

a. After 9 months and 30 days the HiFi M8 is on the FedEx truck out for delivery as of this morning.
b. Thanks to Grobe, aamefford and Barbes for the suggestion of MOG.  I dl'd it yesterday for the Android phone and was very impressed to say the least.  Sorry Spotify you loose my $10 per month.  Thanks again!!!
c. Has anyone tried the HiFi Man HE6 with the Centrance HiFi M8?  Before I spend the money and spring for the Audeze LCD-3 I would like to be sure that I have checked out my options.  I know that Mike M really likes the LCD3 with the HiFi M8

Happy listening and I will relay my experiences.

(Now if I can only get MOG to play through the USB Audio Recorder output on the Galaxy S4 that would be SWEET)

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #761 of 1,326
Hope it is OK to ask this question here from someone who's interested and have followed this thread on and off, but not thoroughly. 

Now that this has been out for a bit, is there any sense of how close it can function as a DAC for desktop replacement such as in place of a EE Minimax Plus?  ($1K+ Desktop DAC) Is it close or still a fair bit off from a desktop DAC?  Would be great to have an all in one replacement....:)  Given its battery operation, it suggest that it has a much cleaner power source to start with.

Thanks!
UL

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #762 of 1,326
Has anyone gotten there M8 to work with an iPod 5.5 Video?  I can't get it going on mine.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #763 of 1,326
  Has anyone gotten there M8 to work with an iPod 5.5 Video?  I can't get it going on mine.

Digital out is not supported on that version of the iPod. You would need a newer one. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #764 of 1,326

Digital out is not supported on that version of the iPod. You would need a newer one. 

I guess I have a reason to keep my pico power or sell that and my iPod 5.5.  Sadly I just sold my iPhone 4S 64 GB.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #765 of 1,326

I guess I have a reason to keep my pico power or sell that and my iPod 5.5.  Sadly I just sold my iPhone 4S 64 GB.

FWIW, the latest iPod Classic sounds just as good to me (via analog line out). And, that one will work digital out with the Centrance. 

No current digital out docks will work with the iPod 5th gen or earlier. Apple has changed things up since then.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back