Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Sep 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #526 of 1,326
@mgoodman yes, hard left, minimum gain. My listening level is pretty quiet most of the time.

Hmmmm. 7:30 at medium or high gain with custom iems... There'd be nothing left of me but a little green globule....
If you don't need to drive he-6, then the IEM mod may be for you, but sounds like we may be splitting hairs here

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #527 of 1,326
Well, that's a bold claim by CL right there.
Curious to say the least... Not sure what the author meant... But we always like when the CEntrance name is listed in line with Sony :)
And having looked at the specs of the new PHA-2 I can tell you that the output power in HiFi-M8 is still 10 times higher, so your LCD3, HE6, etc. are safe with the HiFi-M8 :wink:

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #528 of 1,326
  Well, that's a bold claim by CL right there.

Perhaps of assistance: link

Quote:
+1 on that. Even Jude found the M8 to outperform the 720 with regards to overall SQ.

I was clearly watching a different video to people. Firstly some people call Jude's video exclusive a "review"
rolleyes.gif
Then the very slightest piece for camera where Jude hardly makes any definitive claims and people turn it larger than life. That's the internet right there

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #529 of 1,326
I have 1964 Quads too and intend to use my M8 mostly with them due to the M* being a DAC/AMP solution.  I might have to ask for the mod.  Still on pre order.

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #531 of 1,326
so what about using an impedance adapter when using sensitive iems? will this have the same result as the "ironlung" mod? 
any particular recommended impedance? 75ohm?
i have read a lot of threads about those adapters, and own an etymotic 75ohm but still dont really understand anything about that particular subject myself.
There is one headfi thread that is quite detailed but linking is difficult on the device i am using atm.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #532 of 1,326
I have a pair of the Etymotic ER4P's as well as the impedance adapter that converts them to ER4's.  It will be fun to compare the two when I get my M8. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #533 of 1,326
Not buying it.

The iPad to CCK to USB-B port on the M8 LX should work fine.  The whole point with the CCK is that it would allow the iPad and itunes to be played on regular (non Apple licensed) outboard DAC/amps.  Why should the M8 USB port (either version) be any different?

EDIT:  It's coming back to me now...  Your iPad will only feed an unpowered outboard device up to 100 mA each, unless you use a powered USB hub which allows it to feed up to 500 mA (as I remember).  There was an unpowered USB hub out about the same time as the CCK called a T3Hub by Dr. Bott that somehow tricked the iPad into thinking that it was a powered USB hub and thereby allowed up to 500 mA to be drawn by the external device through the iPad USB port.  I believe that their present USB hub product (unpowered) , the iLuv, also shares this capability.  There may be others (all?) these days.  If in doubt, just use a powered USB hub in the output signal path.  There should be be battery and solar powered hubs for portable use, as well.  It's been a while since I looked into it.   

This works too:

Re: the what signal am I getting out this thing anyway discussion....
For me I don't care what bit depth or sample rate it is so long as its uncompressed and/or lossless,,,,and importantly that the coupled amp has lots, and lots and lots of unclipped power....why I ordered the M8 back in January....

I offered this link in a previous post...
If you unfamiliar with, and believe in science there's this...

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_gmye

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #534 of 1,326
  so what about using an impedance adapter when using sensitive iems? will this have the same result as the "ironlung" mod? 
any particular recommended impedance? 75ohm?

I know they can work well with single driver iems such as the ety's.  I think they mess with the frequency response of *some* multidriver iems, though I'll defer to others with more EE knowledge or listening experience - I don't have one to try.  I do know that I had a volume attenuator from Shure. It came with my SE530's a while back, and that is essentially a variable resistor (volume pot with male mini on one end and female mini on the other), so maybe not such an issue.  I don't recall SQ being significantly affected when using it.  I'd sure consider trying one again if I could find one to try at minimum investment.  I think Ebay has folks selling them, maybe I'll take one for the team and try one.  Before I do, anyone else want to weigh in?

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #535 of 1,326
  I know they can work well with single driver iems such as the ety's.  I think they mess with the frequency response of *some* multidriver iems, though I'll defer to others with more EE knowledge or listening experience - I don't have one to try.  I do know that I had a volume attenuator from Shure. It came with my SE530's a while back, and that is essentially a variable resistor (volume pot with male mini on one end and female mini on the other), so maybe not such an issue.  I don't recall SQ being significantly affected when using it.  I'd sure consider trying one again if I could find one to try at minimum investment.  I think Ebay has folks selling them, maybe I'll take one for the team and try one.  Before I do, anyone else want to weigh in?

Well, I am assuming that whatever the IEM mod does, it doesn't negatively impact sound quality.  Maybe Michael could chime in with either details of the mod, or at least confirm whether or not he thinks an adapter would work well.  I still don't have my M8 yet (supposed to be ready end of next week, but I haven't gotten any notification yet), but I plan to use it with sensitive IEMs and am happy to make an adapter to test.

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #536 of 1,326

Well, I am assuming that whatever the IEM mod does, it doesn't negatively impact sound quality.  Maybe Michael could chime in with either details of the mod, or at least confirm whether or not he thinks an adapter would work well.  I still don't have my M8 yet (supposed to be ready end of next week, but I haven't gotten any notification yet), but I plan to use it with sensitive IEMs and am happy to make an adapter to test.

Somewhere or other, this thread, the other thread, blog, Michael mentioned that the gain is dropped across the board by 6 db, all 3 gain settings.  You gain civility with sensitive iem's, you loose (some) ability to drive the likes of HE6, current hungry orthos, 600 ohm cans.  I suspect not much of an issue except with the likes of the HE6.  I think there is headroom to spare with most cans.  Usual caveats - speaking from conjecture, not direct experience, YMMV, IMHO, PDQ, ASAP, BAMF, CMFIC......

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #537 of 1,326
  Somewhere or other, this thread, the other thread, blog, Michael mentioned that the gain is dropped across the board by 6 db, all 3 gain settings.  You gain civility with sensitive iem's, you loose (some) ability to drive the likes of HE6, current hungry orthos, 600 ohm cans.  I suspect not much of an issue except with the likes of the HE6.  I think there is headroom to spare with most cans.  Usual caveats - speaking from conjecture, not direct experience, YMMV, IMHO, PDQ, ASAP, BAMF, CMFIC......

AFAIR, he posted it in one of the threads and then in his blog.
(He also wrote a sequel to that post.)

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #538 of 1,326

I was wondering how the gain was dropped across the board (simple resistor somewhere in the chain?) to see if an adapter would do a similar job without SQ reduction.  I am much more likely to go with a high end IEM than towards power hungry orthos any time soon, so the mod might be for me (I really dislike hiss).  Either way, the M8 will have ample headroom for my HD800s.  Stacie has said that stopping by CEntrance to pick up my M8 would be ok once it is ready, so I might see if I can do an IEM listening test on the spot to see if I get hiss and then leave it there for the mod or take it home.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #539 of 1,326

I was wondering how the gain was dropped across the board (simple resistor somewhere in the chain?) to see if an adapter would do a similar job without SQ reduction.  I am much more likely to go with a high end IEM than towards power hungry orthos any time soon, so the mod might be for me (I really dislike hiss).  Either way, the M8 will have ample headroom for my HD800s.  Stacie has said that stopping by CEntrance to pick up my M8 would be ok once it is ready, so I might see if I can do an IEM listening test on the spot to see if I get hiss and then leave it there for the mod or take it home.

I didn't find the hiss excessive or objectionable, and I'm pretty sensitive.  I've sort of done a 180 from iems to over the head headphones, though, so my tolerance for his has gone up, just because I only really use my iems from an iPod when flying or mowing the lawn and stuff.  I'll be interested to hear what you think.  I'll see if I can bust out my gear and try it again, it's pretty quiet here at work today.  I'll report back if I get the chance to try the iems out again today.  Wish I had an attenuator to try.  That would sure be a good solution.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #540 of 1,326

I'm counting that as a factory tour.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back