Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #1,248 of 1,326
Hi all,
Im going to get my M8 next week to pair to my LCD3 at home. However, I usually use my SE846 and RWAk120 everyday when i go out.

One stupid question: has anyone tried the SE846 with their M8? Any hiss or problems?
Thanks a lot.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #1,249 of 1,326
Hi all,
Im going to get my M8 next week to pair to my LCD3 at home. However, I usually use my SE846 and RWAk120 everyday when i go out.

One stupid question: has anyone tried the SE846 with their M8? Any hiss or problems?
Thanks a lot.

I've used my UE700 iems without any hiss or audible noise at all. I have tinnitus tho, so black backgrounds are easier to obtain for me.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,251 of 1,326
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has the same problem? I have had the Hifi M8 LX for a few months now and use it with my LCD-2's and HD 800's. I am noticing background hiss even on low gain. I run balanced and unbalanced cables. I knew that hiss would be a problem on IEM's but wasn't expecting it on full size cans.

Anyone else have this problem?

-Dave

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #1,252 of 1,326
  Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has the same problem? I have had the Hifi M8 LX for a few months now and use it with my LCD-2's and HD 800's. I am noticing background hiss even on low gain. I run balanced and unbalanced cables. I knew that hiss would be a problem on IEM's but wasn't expecting it on full size cans.

-Dave

You might want to consider the low noise option for sensitive IEM, or you are getting interference somewhere?

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,253 of 1,326
Hey guys,

-Dave

Thats weird. I use my hd650 and he500 with the m8 as well as ie800 and re400. No hiss whatsoever for me. Do you have power supply plugged into your source or to the m8?

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,254 of 1,326
  Hey guys,

-Dave

Seems a bit off to me.  I don't use IEMs, but all my headphones run dead quiet.  What impedance/gain settings do you run at?

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #1,255 of 1,326
Hey guys,

Even unplugged (i.e. only running on the battery power)

Gain on low medium or high same results.

I am not using sensitive IEM's, HD800 and LCD2's

Can't think of any interference path. I am running and ipod and also mac pro with audirvana+

Just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before i contacted my local dealer about it.

-Dave

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,257 of 1,326
  Hey guys,

Even unplugged (i.e. only running on the battery power)

Gain on low medium or high same results.

I am not using sensitive IEM's, HD800 and LCD2's

Can't think of any interference path. I am running and ipod and also mac pro with audirvana+

Just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before i contacted my local dealer about it.

-Dave

On mine the only noise I can ear, wearing a pair of iems, is when I turn the volume knob, other than that, silent, I think you should ask for assistance

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,259 of 1,326
Waited with great anticipation for my Hifi M8 LX but have had a very interesting revelation. I've done A/B comparisons between the headphone out jack on my late 2013 MBP and the M8 and it seems as though, to me at least, the MBP sounds better. When I say better, I mean it seems more detailed and has more "air". I'm listening with HD650's.

Set up 1 - iPhone 6, Onkyo HF player, CCK - USB B - M8, HD650's

Set up 2 - MBP, VLC, USB B - M8, HD650's

Set up 3 - MBP, VLC, headphone out, HD650's

In both cases without M8, all my music seems to have more air, more separation and more detail.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? It's a huge let down as from all accounts I've read, the Hifi M8 is a great product although for me, it does not improve the sound quality at all. If anything, I'm getting veiled highs from it. Have tried all impedance settings, all gain settings. Did try boosting the treble with the setting on the M8 and that made an improvement but I would've thought one wouldn't have to do that. 

*Using 16/44 FLAC and 24/192 FLAC in all cases.
** Not using EQ in any of the cases.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,260 of 1,326
I've got latest top MBP also. I would suggest not to use VLC player, as you wouldn't get the best from the M8.

Try programs like Audirvana, Media Centre or Amarra 3.0 (my favourite for sound quality)  

You can get 30 day trials for all apps I believe.  You'll be able to hear the difference then I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back