Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Dec 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #961 of 1,326
Ive been really enjoying my M8, but is it just me or...

Can you not plug the power cable in to charge the HiFi M8 while you are listening to music?  It doesnt seem to output anything when the unit is plugged in.  That doesnt seem right...

I have sold my 7g, but still have my 6g classic, which are arguably the same. It plays fine until you plug in the power cable, then no sound as you describe. Flick the M8 power off then on, and you're back in business. Sound while charging. The only glitch I've found.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #962 of 1,326
I have sold my 7g, but still have my 6g classic, which are arguably the same. It plays fine until you plug in the power cable, then no sound as you describe. Flick the M8 power off then on, and you're back in business. Sound while charging. The only glitch I've found.

Yep, Ive got it going now.

It still doesnt charge the iPod when the power cable is not plugged in but the iPod has battery life > M8 and its not a phone so I suppose thats not too huge of a problem but it would still seem to be a glitch

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #963 of 1,326
Hmm....I don't think the M8 is supposed to charge anything unless it's plugged into the charger. Your saying your phone charges of the M8 when the M8 is on battery? That sounds odd. Maybe that's a glitch?

My iPod touch will quickly flash the battery screen and "charging" icon when powering up while paired with the M8 on battery, but it's not actually charging.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #964 of 1,326
Hmm....I don't think the M8 is supposed to charge anything unless it's plugged into the charger. Your saying your phone charges of the M8 when the M8 is on battery? That sounds odd. Maybe that's a glitch?

My iPod touch will quickly flash the battery screen and "charging" icon when powering up while paired with the M8 on battery, but it's not actually charging.

It definitely charges the phone because one night my phone died and I had my M8 in the car and I was able to get it charged back up to some degree.  It wasnt the best or most effective charge Ive ever seen but it does seem to charge my iOS devices (classic of course is not on iOS)

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #965 of 1,326

Mine does the same...

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #967 of 1,326
Something's wrong. It's designed not to charge the iDevice unless ithe M8 is both connected to a charger and turned on.

Ah well it looks like somethings wrong in my favor then?  I mean it was pretty clutch to be able to charge my phone =).  And I definitely succeeded in doing it...but like I said it didnt get a ton of charge but enough to use.

So you are saying if you plugged in a dead phone to your M8's and flip the switch to iDevice that the phone wont turn on and gain charge?

Lol and here I was sitting here thinking, "Yeah that really pissed me off about the Fostex HP-P1, I'm glad CEntrance made it so I can charge my phone" and yeah...same story apparently.  Gosh!  I guess those guys at CypherLabs are right for pushing their charging capability, I thought it would have been a given on all these devices.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #968 of 1,326
M8 is designed so that the unit makes a handshake with the iDevice when connected and turned on, but if there is no external power, it does not stay charging . It only blinks to show connection and turns back off.

If there is external power and the unit is turned on, M8 will charge an iDevice along with itself . If M8 is off, iDevice should not charge.

Unplugging the power while music is playing will cause the unit to stop the music and reconnect to the idevice, causing you to have to press play again.

Only certain types of iPod classic have been shown to glitch out a little when power is plugged in during listening . We are still trying to figure out why .

Please PM me if your unit is not acting as such.

-Kenny

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #969 of 1,326
Since we've been on the topic of charging lately... I just purchased a 1ft C13 cable for the charger instead of using the 3ft one that comes with the M8.  The best thing is that it's $5 and appears to be made by Apollo which is what CEntrance uses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-Short-3-Conductor-PC-Power-Cord-Cable-18WAG-C13-5-15P-CablesOnline-PC-111-/280848323004

My goal was to have a little less bulk when I'm traveling with the charger. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #971 of 1,326
I just recently received a new Burson Soloist SL. I set the M8 from the 1/8 to RCA in of the burson, and set the m8 at middle gain, max volume. If I turn the Burson to 0 volume, I can still hear the music playing quite audibly. I have to back off to about 1:00 to get close to no sound at zero volume. This with reasonably efficient 32 ohm headphones. Burson on high gain. Similar effect with M8 on low gain has a similar effect, less pronounced. My only real issues with this - I'd like 0 volume at 0 volume. I have limited volume travel unless I back off the M8 volume

Anyone else experience similar issues with their amp, Burson or otherwise?

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #972 of 1,326
I just recently received a new Burson Soloist SL. I set the M8 from the 1/8 to RCA in of the burson, and set the m8 at middle gain, max volume. If I turn the Burson to 0 volume, I can still hear the music playing quite audibly. I have to back off to about 1:00 to get close to no sound at zero volume. This with reasonably efficient 32 ohm headphones. Burson on high gain. Similar effect with Burson on low gain has a similar effect, less pronounced. My only real issues with this - I'd like 0 volume at 0 volume. I have limited volume travel unless I back off the M8 volume

Anyone else experience similar issues with their amp, Burson or otherwise?

Did you try the m8 on low gain? I know the setting you used is probably the "line out" setting but its worth a try.  It works fine with digital out IMO,  I havent tried analog

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #973 of 1,326
Did you try the m8 on low gain? I know the setting you used is probably the "line out" setting but its worth a try.  It works fine with digital out IMO,  I havent tried analog

Edited my op. Yes, similar effect to a slightly lesser degree. Probably the eventual solution though. I *think* it sounds better with the volume pot maxed. In truth I probably can't tell a difference. I'm just fishing for others experience with the M8 at line out settings and with the Burson using othe dacs, especially pro dacs that use the standard (2VRMS?) line out.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #974 of 1,326
Im not sure in your situation but about the volume pot at max I will say, that with my Jh13s I hear the noise floor "the hiss" and for whatever reason it seems to be low then get a lot higher around 2-3 o'clock and come down maybe to its lowest point at max volume.  This is with no music playing on low gain, 1 ohm.  

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #975 of 1,326
Am I the only one here who took the IEM mod? With this I don't have the hiss problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back