Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #946 of 1,326
  I'm trying decide on this amp/DAC.  Right now I use HD600/Cardas with iPod Classic and RSA HornetM or Headroom Total Bithead.  Music is ripped from CDs or iTunes.  What could I expect from adding the M8?  Jazz is my first choice in music.

Your existing setup is pretty nice.  You probably won't hear a huge difference but it will be noticeable with critical listening.  The CEntrance DAC has better instrument separation and a wider soundstage than the iPod.  If EQ'ing is your thing (which it is to me) you'll like the bass and treble boost features.  I also find that playing with the Impedance settings and taylor the sound a bit too, but it's subtle.

I think the M8 is well suited for jazz recordings as it has a nice midrange presentation.  You will have to put the bass on Setting "2" in order to get those lush bass notes to come through.  The M8 has good extension but is slightly lacking in low-end presence unless you utilize the bass boost.  I do not find that the bass boost colors any of the sound outside of that frequency range, aside from a slight boost in overall gain.

Edit: You also have the option of ditching that horrible Cardas cable (just kidding 
tongue.gif
) for a balanced setup. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #947 of 1,326
I have a similar question to the above  re:  adding the M8 LX RSA version.  I have a AK100 that feeds a SR-71b balanced out to a pair of Westone 4Rs.  All cabling is Moon Audio Silver Dragon V1 IEM.

I am toying with using the optical out of the AK100 into the M8 LX RSA version and selling the SR-71b.

Vast majority of music is lossless, uncompressed FLAC and about 40% is 24/96.

Genres are mostly all types of jazz, followed by country, classic and heavier rock and a bit of classics.

Comments?

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #948 of 1,326
just got word that my LX 4XL will ship on the 6th!  Can't wait!

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #949 of 1,326
Received finally my HiFi-M8 LX after.... a 10 months wait.  

In the mean time, since I could not wait, I bought other portable amps.  

So... my LX is for sale (I am based in belgium, Europe).  If someone is interested, please PM me.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #950 of 1,326
Received finally my HiFi-M8 LX after.... a 10 months wait.  

In the mean time, since I could not wait, I bought other portable amps.  

So... [COLOR=FF0000]my LX is for sale[/COLOR] (I am based in belgium, Europe).  If someone is interested, please PM me.

Can I ask which other portable amp(s) you bought that you decided to keep?

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #951 of 1,326
Can I ask which other portable amp(s) you bought that you decided to keep?

A tu-05.  It's bigger, but I have a lot of fun with the tube roling.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #953 of 1,326
Originally Posted by AmberOzL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which outputs you have?

I received " finally " my HiFi-M8 LX after.... a 10 months wait !.  

But... In the mean time, since I could not wait, I bought other portable amps: a TU-05 with... tubes

So... my " never used " LX is for sale  (I am based in Belgium, Europe) . If someone is interested, please PM me.

Outputs are : XLR + 1/4 + 1/8 jack.

And If someone is interested, I can ship with it a brand New AKG K249 MKII  with it for a small additional fee.

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #954 of 1,326
Too bad that you have the XLR version, I was looking for a RSA version. Since you are also in Belgium, it would be wonderful to meet and demo it but XLR is not useful for me, sorry mate, but I wish you luck on your sale.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #956 of 1,326
Ive been really enjoying my M8, but is it just me or...

Can you not plug the power cable in to charge the HiFi M8 while you are listening to music?  It doesnt seem to output anything when the unit is plugged in.  That doesnt seem right...

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #957 of 1,326
  Ive been really enjoying my M8, but is it just me or...

Can you not plug the power cable in to charge the HiFi M8 while you are listening to music?  It doesnt seem to output anything when the unit is plugged in.  That doesnt seem right...

That seems an issue with your M8.  Mine works fine plugged in, with either the stock or an aftermarket charger.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #958 of 1,326

That seems an issue with your M8.  Mine works fine plugged in, with either the stock or an aftermarket charger.

What input and device are you using?

I am using iDevice input with iPod Classic.  When I do not have it plugged in, the audio works but the iPod doesnt charge.  When I have it plugged in, the iPod charges (if I switch the input to iDevice) but no audio comes out. 

If I connect my phone it will charge even if the M8 isnt plugged in, and it will play audio if the M8 is plugged in.

So no, it is not a problem with "my" M8, I think its an issue with the M8 firmware not properly working with iPod Classic firmware =)

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #959 of 1,326

What input and device are you using?

I am using iDevice input with iPod Classic.  When I do not have it plugged in, the audio works but the iPod doesnt charge.  When I have it plugged in, the iPod charges (if I switch the input to iDevice) but no audio comes out. 

If I connect my phone it will charge even if the M8 isnt plugged in, and it will play audio if the M8 is plugged in.

So no, it is not a problem with "my" M8, I think its an issue with the M8 firmware not properly working with iPod Classic firmware =)

I think you have nailed your issue.  Iphone 4S and 5S, iPod classic 7th gen and ipod touch 4th gen all work when M8 is plugged in.  All charge and all play music.  Note that I no longer have the classic, touch or 4S, but my recollection is that all of them worked properly.  I would occasionally have to restart (turn off and on) the M8 when using the classic.  It was the glitchiest of the bunch.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #960 of 1,326
I have the Classic 7th Gen...doesnt work the way its SUPPOSED to...but it works.

Seems that the glitchy party is key.  It started working after I swapped it back and forth.  But if its playing music and then you plug it in, it kills the music.  Every time from what I can tell.  But flipping the switch back and forth will bring it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back