Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #1,186 of 1,326
Yeah, that's what I think too. I have emailed Kenny about it. Not too fussed though as I can get something else, but that Centrance cable looks really cool. Good for branding for centrance as well. Hehehe. 

Thanks mate!

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,187 of 1,326
Do we have any word on a firmware update to unlock 24/96 from the iDevice connection?

I've run some A/B tests and hear much better sound coming from the USB B port via the CCK (which is at least 16/96) as compared to the iDevice input (which is 16/48 at best).  I may start collecting third-party impressions of the difference to bolster my case...

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,188 of 1,326
Do we have any word on a firmware update to unlock 24/96 from the iDevice connection?

I've run some A/B tests and hear much better sound coming from the USB B port via the CCK (which is at least 16/96) as compared to the iDevice input (which is 16/48 at best).  I may start collecting third-party impressions of the difference to bolster my case...

Ha ha. Honestly, I have given up on wishing for this ghost promise from CEntrance to come to life.
Look- they already have had 2 new products in the pipeline since this "firmware upgrade" promise was made, but maybe Apple is blocking this feature now or some such.

Irregardless, I will be at the CEntrance booth at RMAF staging a sit in until their reasoning is explained.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #1,189 of 1,326
Ha ha. Honestly, I have given up on wishing for this ghost promise from CEntrance to come to life.
Look- they already have had 2 new products in the pipeline since this "firmware upgrade" promise was made, but maybe Apple is blocking this feature now or some such.

Irregardless, I will be at the CEntrance booth at RMAF staging a sit in until their reasoning is explained.

I guess I'm not helping since I ordered a MixerFace on indiegogo! 

But yes, I think they forgot about this 24/96 firmware update.  I've got a Lightning-to-USB adapter, and I have a short USB A-to-B connector like ExpatInJapan.  Still, it isn't as convenient as I'd like, so I will probably get a 4-inch USB cable and be done. 

Finally, for anyone who want to try:  Listen to the beginning of  "Within" from Daft Punk's Random Access Memories (the piano intro) on the iDevice input of the M8 followed by the Lightning-to-USB adapter-to-USB input of the same M8 using upsampling (e.g. Onkyo's HF app).  The piano sounds so much better on the latter connection it's not funny. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #1,190 of 1,326
  Taken delivery of my HiFiM8. I seem to be missing the iPhone 30-pin USB from the package. Has this been removed from the accessories list? Has anyone here taken delivery of a M8 from the new batch, and can confirm if this piece was omitted? Cheers!

If it is no longer included, I'm quite sure its just a rebranded Monoprice cable.  They can be had quite cheep...

...that is of course only if CEntrance is no longer including them.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #1,191 of 1,326

I have a feeling that CEntrance has their collective hands tied at the moment on that "feature"

Pay attention to the news on IOS8.  I have a feeling it might be the answer...

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,192 of 1,326
  Seriously considering picking up the HiFi-M8, but looking for some advice on the source. I currently have an iPhone 5 (64) with all my music on it via iTunes (old collection). I would like to build a hi res collection moving forward. I'm willing to pick up an iPod if necessary to combo with the HiFi-M8 since I'm concerned about added noise with the iPhone given what some have reported. That said, before I do that, I want to make sure that is the best choice for SQ.

So, I'd appreciate any advice as far as source files, storage and hardware (for portable use). I'd prefer to use iOS-based products if doable.

Thanks 

CEntrance did spend time in design trying to prevent RF interference from phones, and only early on were there reports of any.  So I'm guessing Michael and Co. have that issue locked down.  So, with that said, I would start with your iPhone, and wait till the fall.  Wait and see what Apple releases to compliment IOS8.  I'm personally hoping for a high capacity iPod Touch.

Hi-res files are another game to play, currently.  I know two 3rd party apps play hi-res without down sampling, when connected to the USB-B port using the Apple CCK (camera connection kit).  They are the Onkyo app, and the Flac Player app.  These apps will down sample if you make the standard connection.

Which files to choose?  Well that's a bit up in the air.  But I will suggest paying attention to the Apple rumors on new Lightning cables and what IOS8 will bring for hi-res audio.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,193 of 1,326
  Shaker,

I have had great success with hooking up (Lightning USB cable) from my iPhone 5S and iPad to the M8, and listening every night.
no "noise" at all from iPhone or iPad, have played redbook lossless, streaming Bandcamp, Onkyo to play HD files, even DSD by utilizing DoP.  (setting in Onkyo).

I've been using IEMs (UM3X) more, and thus the M8 is really "over kill" perhaps for my use as I'm not pairing it much with HD600, HP50 (or previous HE-500) over the past few months.
one day soon, I could be talked into selling my M8 perhaps due to not truly utilizing all it's features (headphone jacks, powerful amp) as much as I hoped.

any more questions, send me a PM perhaps.

Thanks for that helpful response. Like the looks of the Onkyo App for the iPhone. Glad to hear you've enjoyed the M8. Seems like a strong choice for what I'm looking for.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,194 of 1,326

I have a feeling that CEntrance has their collective hands tied at the moment on that "feature"

Pay attention to the news on IOS8.  I have a feeling it might be the answer...

I think so too. There was a report on Apple enabling HD audio. Even if it's not the answer, it will still influence the "fix/update". So we'll just have to wait.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,195 of 1,326

CEntrance did spend time in design trying to prevent RF interference from phones, and only early on were there reports of any.  So I'm guessing Michael and Co. have that issue locked down.  So, with that said, I would start with your iPhone, and wait till the fall.  Wait and see what Apple releases to compliment IOS8.  I'm personally hoping for a high capacity iPod Touch.

Hi-res files are another game to play, currently.  I know two 3rd party apps play hi-res without down sampling, when connected to the USB-B port using the Apple CCK (camera connection kit).  They are the Onkyo app, and the Flac Player app.  These apps will down sample if you make the standard connection.

Which files to choose?  Well that's a bit up in the air.  But I will suggest paying attention to the Apple rumors on new Lightning cables and what IOS8 will bring for hi-res audio.

Thanks for this great info. Will likely try the M8 w/my i5 then. As far as the Apple CCK to ensure hi-res w/out down sampling, in order to use my i5 will the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (MD821ZM/A) work? 

With regard to file format, FLAC sounds the most attractive for SQ but it's not very iOS/iTunes friendly. AIFF seems like a decent compromise of sorts to maintain iOS/iTunes ease.

While the Onkyo app seems to make it easy to listen to FLAC with the M8 via iPhone/iPod, how are people organizing their music for ease of use for home and portable access? I was leaning towards JRiver as we build our home system. Would be great to have a single repository.

The speed with which the tech is evolving is pretty crazy. Like you say, Apple will no doubt introduce some new toys later this year.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,196 of 1,326
  Thanks for this great info. Will likely try the M8 w/my i5 then. As far as the Apple CCK to ensure hi-res w/out down sampling, in order to use my i5 will the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (MD821ZM/A) work? 

With regard to file format, FLAC sounds the most attractive for SQ but it's not very iOS/iTunes friendly. AIFF seems like a decent compromise of sorts to maintain iOS/iTunes ease.

While the Onkyo app seems to make it easy to listen to FLAC with the M8 via iPhone/iPod, how are people organizing their music for ease of use for home and portable access? I was leaning towards JRiver as we build our home system. Would be great to have a single repository.

The speed with which the tech is evolving is pretty crazy. Like you say, Apple will no doubt introduce some new toys later this year.

That's the adapter I was referring to.  I got mine form B&H Photo, but its available many places.  You will use that with the included USB A to USB B cable, that's included with the M8.

The native player doesn't support hi-res playback, so a 3rd party is currently necessary.  But I do think that will change.  My first feeling was buying in FLAC too, but I doubt it will be supported in an updated Apple player.  So maybe ALAC with the hopes of adding your purchases to iTunes later...

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,197 of 1,326

That's the adapter I was referring to.  I got mine form B&H Photo, but its available many places.

The native player doesn't support hi-res playback, so a 3rd party is currently necessary.  But I do think that will change.  My first feeling was buying in FLAC too, but I doubt it will be supported in an updated Apple player.  So maybe ALAC with the hopes of adding your purchases to iTunes later...

Great. Thanks again for the help.

I agree that FLAC is unlikely to be supported by Apple, unfortunately. Do you think ALAC and AIFF are comparable as far as SQ, assuming quality hardware?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,198 of 1,326
  Great. Thanks again for the help.

I agree that FLAC is unlikely to be supported by Apple, unfortunately. Do you think ALAC and AIFF are comparable as far as SQ, assuming quality hardware?

I'm the wrong person to ask, for I lack the experience.  Other sub-forums cover that topic.  I'm holding out until fall, to make my decision.  I currently don't have an IOS7/IOS8 device, but will buy one when the next batch of goodies hits the market.  I did test the CCK on my kids' iPad minis, and it works like a champ...

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,199 of 1,326
AIFF, WAV, FLAC, and ALAC are all lossless, just different types of it.  AIFF and WAV has no compression and can save battery because of it, but the files are huge.  FLAC and ALAC are losslessly-compressed and are waveform-preserving, so there isn't any difference in sound based on the signal alone.  So, AIFF and ALAC should sound identical given that all the bits make it to the reconstruction process (for example, wireless connections can mess this up -- I've had some issues with first-gen Apple TVs due to network issues/dropped bits).

I've tried using 24/96 ALAC files in Rockbox (which downsamples them) and it overwhelms the iPod Video processor on which it is running.  So, I keep lossless WAV files around to avoid double-inventories. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,200 of 1,326
  AIFF, WAV, FLAC, and ALAC are all lossless, just different types of it.  AIFF and WAV has no compression and can save battery because of it, but the files are huge.  FLAC and ALAC are losslessly-compressed and are waveform-preserving, so there isn't any difference in sound based on the signal alone.  So, AIFF and ALAC should sound identical given that all the bits make it to the reconstruction process (for example, wireless connections can mess this up -- I've had some issues with first-gen Apple TVs due to network issues/dropped bits).

I've tried using 24/96 ALAC files in Rockbox (which downsamples them) and it overwhelms the iPod Video processor on which it is running.  So, I keep lossless WAV files around to avoid double-inventories. 

Want to be sure I understand what you're saying -- ALAC sounds no different vs. AIFF? If so, why all the fuss about file type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back