Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,021 of 1,326
A few weeks ago I sold my M8. Since I was using it with only CIEM's, I was kind of regretting the choice of 4pin XLR out (really should have gone with RSA). I figured I'd part with it and go back to my 5g iPod touch or DIY imod plus portable amp for awhile.

My portable amp (Pico Power) is fantastic, and sounds outstanding with my CIEM's when fed from my desktop converter and DAC. The iDevice alone (and the modded one) feeding the Pico Power/CIEM's doesn't sound bad, by any means, but absolutely falls flat on it's face compared to the M8.

What a step backwards. Ouch! So I'll say this- the M8 is outstanding. I had absolutely no complaints about the sound. Paired with my CIEM's, I continually noticed the inner clarity, sound stage, and punchy, clean bass. Just nothing lacking, really. For my preferences and expectations of a portable product, the M8 just gets it done.

Count in the flexibility (usb > optical converter, usb DAC, tone shaping) and it's a package you may not fully appreciate until it's gone!

I haven't written a review of the M8 yet, so consider this my review. Glowing? Yes. Appreciate the beauty and flexibility of this unit, folks.

All that said, I've just ordered a replacement M8. RSA out and low gain mod. Optimized for CIEM's. Again, the wait will begin. March I believe for more to begin shipping? I waited much longer for the first one. This will be a walk in the park.

And thanks Michael for the personal service. Top notch.

Now you need to figure out how to mini digital cables.  Good luck with that....

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,023 of 1,326
I think I had you mixed up with Mr Sheep, he's getting the LX.  I knew of your Lightning mods....

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,025 of 1,326
Not really, as I got mine made two months ago by Sysconcept.com. They were the one that made the cable for Jude's review. Not too expensive and works very well.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,027 of 1,326
I think I will also finally contact CEntrance and get the iem mod on my M8, and also get that damned 1/4" jack reversed!
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,029 of 1,326
I have to restate something here, but the tone shaping is really excellent implemented. It really doesn't change the sound of the rest of the frequency range.

I can now listen to rock music with my HD 800 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor with the basd boost and enjoy it. That is something I have never done before.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,030 of 1,326
I have been following this thread for a while as I am considering the M8 LX. 

I am not sure what the "Low Gain IEM Mod" option is on the Centrance web site.  There is not an explanation on the web site. 

The M8 has a number of gain and impedance settings, so I am not sure what this additional option is.

Thanks and happy new year!

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,031 of 1,326

I am not sure what the "Low Gain IEM Mod" option is on the Centrance web site.  There is not an explanation on the web site. 

The M8 has a number of gain and impedance settings, so I am not sure what this additional option is.

It's for very sensitive in ear monitors and basically lowers the gain across the board. If your main phones are IEMs, it may be worth it. But if you mostly listen to over the ear headphones, probably not.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,032 of 1,326

I understand it reduces the incidence of unwanted noise on some sensitive IEMs

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,033 of 1,326

Minus 6 db across the gain settings to make the signal extra quiet for very sensitive IEMs (8 ohms impedance), and Mike only did a handful of this as special request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back