Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,052 of 1,326
Man, don't we all!

With an increasing CD rip collection at 16/44 ALAC or AIFFs, I have turned to running subsonic.org software on iMac,
and using the IOS App iSub 3.1.5 on iPhone 5S (would work also on IOS7 iPod Touch)
to stream all my lossless files over wifi as needed.   (with some local caching enabled).

Note: iSub can not stream 24/96 or 24/192 material.  I've emailed developer asking why, thought I tested earlier versions and it worked.

YMMV.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,053 of 1,326
  I wish the iPod Touch had more storage. The only reason I'm using an iPod classic is that with lossless files, 64GB isn't enough storage for me. 

The refurb prices on the 64gb Touches went down to $299, and that's usually an indicator of an update (speed bump).  I'm really, really hoping for a 128gb iPod Touch.....

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,054 of 1,326

The refurb prices on the 64gb Touches went down to $299, and that's usually an indicator of an update (speed bump).  I'm really, really hoping for a 128gb iPod Touch.....

I'd buy a 128GB or higher one if it is released no doubt.

When Steve Jobs was alive, there were rumors of him wanting a player capable of higher resolution files and iTunes selling them as well. I really hope that happens some day. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,055 of 1,326

128 gb iTouch with High Resolution support? I would be a happy chap. All I need is high resolution support and high capacity. 128gb is the minimum limit, I wish they could add even more than 128.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,056 of 1,326

I'd buy a 128GB or higher one if it is released no doubt.

When Steve Jobs was alive, there were rumors of him wanting a player capable of higher resolution files and iTunes selling them as well. I really hope that happens some day. 

That would stink. I'd have to buy one immediately.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,057 of 1,326
The challenge in getting a 128GB iPod Touch -- and hi-res files on iDevices in general -- is that hi-res is still not mainstream.

Case in point:  I was happy to hear that CES 2014 was going to have a "Hi-Res Audio Experience" portion to the show.  Here's the link to the exhibitors.  Total number of exhibitors there:  six.

http://www.cesweb.org/Show-Floor/TechZones/Hi-Res-Audio-Experience

Now look at the iLounge Pavilion for Apple devices.  Total number of exhibitors there:  179.

http://www.cesweb.org/Show-Floor/TechZones/iLounge-Pavilion

If this is chicken-and-egg, let's hope that Apple takes the lead and announces some initiative on hi-res downloads with hardware support.  They like to one-up CES with their own announcements sometimes.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #1,058 of 1,326
I also suspect Michael is more "in the know" then he would let us believe.  I think he's expecting Apple to do something, and he was planning his HiFi-M8 to take advantage of whatever that is.  I thought it was IOS7, but maybe its a product update instead?

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #1,060 of 1,326
As soon as I woke up and saw the announcement of the CEntrance MixerFace a few days ago, I did a quick read, watched the video, and became the first backer.

Seriously I can't wait, and at that hot-of-the-press price it's a STEAL!

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,061 of 1,326
Just got myself an M8 today and totally enjoying it with my Ety4PT and Phonak PFE232 
etysmile.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,062 of 1,326
I am really enjoying the M8.  Sweet and authoritative.  

I've been doing comparisons between
(1) the Centrance Hi-FI M8 stacked with an iPod Touch, and
(2) an iPod 5.5G with LOD to a FiiO E12 (DIY version, but I haven't done the op amp rolling yet). 

I've been switching between the ESW9 which I've had for about seven years now, and the new headphone in the house, the LCD-2, listening to the same selections on both, mostly jazz (surprise surprise) but also some Daft Punk and Steely Dan thrown into the mix.  The iPod/E12 rig sounds very, very good, but there is a clarity in the treble with the M8 rig that gives rock solid imaging and definition to everything, especially with the LCD-2.  The bass is also better with the M8 rig and the LCD-2 -- the difference is much harder to hear with the ESW9.  

All in all, I am very happy with the M8.  Next up for me is getting some balanced cables for the LCD-2 to mate with the M8. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,063 of 1,326
I truly enjoy the M8 with almost everything I combine it with, which basically means a few simple things in particular like my HD600/ER4-S/Noble 4/6 (although some hiss),and  I do agree on the feel of more authority as posted in the above post with these units and other units I have seems to behave relative indifferently and so it goes. Overall, I have used the M8 on a daily basis for three months and not a single regret.. despite that I waited near 10 months.. I know...I had twins in the meantime.. well, not exactly me..

Anyhow, what is this.. ?

CEntrance_Mini-M8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back