Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #271 of 1,326
Quote:
Hi M Goodman,

I am having 2nd thought on my pre-order regarding the iDevice version..

So I am wondering, can the iDevice version be converted to LX model in the future?
   Do I have to ship it back to Centrance to be done.?
   What is the expected cost of doing it? excluding shipping..

reason is, once my iPods are dead, I will likely to switch to AK100 or maybe a Fiio x3.. or any other capable DAP...
 this will offload the apple format and iTunes from my HDD..

Also remember there is a list of DAPs that are compatible to both the iDevice and LX version..
 saw it somewhere but just could not remember where..

rgds

I understand that you would like to convert your M8 later. We currently do not have a way to offer this service, unfortunately. The product is delivered in its final configuration.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #272 of 1,326
Quote:
Well scratch that, I get interference with the stock cable too. :frowning2:

Could you do me a favor and move this to an email thread. I will respond to that within hours, rather than days and we will work quickly to help figure this out. pm me for the email address if you don't have it or ask Stacie and she will connect us.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #273 of 1,326
Hifi-m8 rig is complete ( just need the final 24/96 version an middle plug redone).

ATH-ESW11, Hifi-M8 and 64GB 4th gen ipod touch with Flacplayer app.

7unanyse.jpg

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #276 of 1,326
Quote:
Hifi-m8 rig is complete ( just need the final 24/96 version an middle plug redone).

ATH-ESW11, Hifi-M8 and 64GB 4th gen ipod touch with Flacplayer app.

7unanyse.jpg

Now if only you could plug those phones in, two jacks to the right...

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #278 of 1,326
Feed teh beast!

Another Hifi-M8 impression/review.

http://headfijourney.blogspot.sg/2013/08/centrance-hifi-m8.html?m=1

Quite long and complete. Well worth the read.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #279 of 1,326
Quote:
Feed teh beast!

Thanks for sharing, and this is exactly what I have been waiting for.

Update: this review just seal the deal, I am going to get it along with the HD800 and some optical and balance cable for my AK120.  This is going to super sweet... and bank breaking.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #280 of 1,326
Quote:
Feed teh beast!

SO SHIP ALREADY!!!! And let me be clear, by ship, I mean my unit.  Selfish sot that I am, I am far less concerned about others...  Michael, luckily, is indeed concerned about others.  I'm supposedly in the second wave, and I am itching to get it!

In all seriousness - congratulations on an excellent review.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #281 of 1,326
CEntrance HiFi-M8 LX 4XL... checked.
Sys-concept toslink-miniplug interconnect... in progress.
Sennheiser HD800... pending.
Custom XLR cable... pending.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #282 of 1,326
I completely agree with everything the reviewer said. I know some of my earlier gushing impressions may have been glossed over by some, but this thing really sounds that good. I'm very experienced with high end gear and this things gets you really close to a high end "desktop" rig. It's a good deal better than any midfi setup I've owned or heard.  There's an initial shock upon first listen that this thing can't possibly sound this good. I took it to a friend's house who owns around 60-70,000.00 worth of high end gear, and he was more impressed than I was. He thought the dac was as good as his more than 2,000.00 byrston, and the amp on the same level as his 2500.00 peak/volcano. 

I've lived with it for a while, so I can pick out the minor differences that separate his setup from the m8. But upon first listen I can understand why he would say that. It does take a bit of going back and forth to do that. But it has a better dac than my 800.00 stagedac, and the headphone amp is as good as anything I've heard in the 700.00-800.00 range, and better than some from a few years ago in the 1000.00 range. IMO portable gear has never been good cost/performace ratio performers. You are paying a premium to get good sound out of a battery powered device that fits in the palm of you hands. For example, a 500.00 portable amp won't sound as good as a 500.00 desktop amp relatively speaking. That changes with this device. Not only does it sound as good as a 700.00 desktop combo, it exceeds many and approach the performance of combos much higher. This thing still impresses me every time I turn it on.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #283 of 1,326
Quote:
SO SHIP ALREADY!!!! And let me be clear, by ship, I mean my unit.  Selfish sot that I am, I am far less concerned about others...  Michael, luckily, is indeed concerned about others.  I'm supposedly in the second wave, and I am itching to get it!

In all seriousness - congratulations on an excellent review.

I know, redundant....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back