Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Aug 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #257 of 1,326
Yes.  An X3 would need a powered coax to optical SPDIF converter to work with the LX.  Hardly the stuff of portability if you consider now the battery pack to power the outboard converter as well, unless you feel a 4 component brick is manageable.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #258 of 1,326
It must have been a couple of weeks or whenever i last wrote up a mini review that I last listened to my Hifi-M8.

I am waiting on a minor scale for the full idevice sample rates to be unlocked.

And on a medium scale for the middle jack to be rewired as knowing that it isnt fully complete causes my OCD to kick in and limits my possible listening enjoyment - although my cortex tells me to use the 3.5mm jack and listen to 16/41 and bliss out.

And on a major scale that here in Tokyo it is too farking hot to listen to music with cans or perhaps even inears!

I still read everyones daily posts though :wink:

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #260 of 1,326
Quote:
Hmmm....
Shuck!
ExpatinJapan,
What is the option here?

So far, in my limited research, these are the LX compatible DAPs:

AK100 & AK120
DX100 (HDP-R10)
and in a limited fashion the IHIFI960

Android phones also have limited capabilities, depending on flavor and app used...

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #261 of 1,326
Hmmm....
Shuck!
ExpatinJapan,
What is the option here?

Maybe it's too obvious to mention, but what about sticking with the i-device version? You are planning for "when your iPods die". That could be a long ways off!

I couldn't think of wanting the M8 without it being the i-device version. You'll always have a slick, bulletproof, state of the art UI. If your iPods do die, a replacement can always be found pretty easily. Also, there are options for iPod management if you want iTunes off your HDD.

Just my opinion, pardon if the response is too obvious! :wink:

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #262 of 1,326
Quote:
Hmmm....
Shuck!
ExpatinJapan,
What is the option here?

*I think the others have summed up the options quite clearly in the posts above me.
(ButtUglyJeff has listed some LX compatible DAPs, are there any others that people know of? I would be good to list them on the FAQs).

Myself I`m just a know nothing hobbyist really.

You really have to ask the right questions to get the right answers (without meaning to sound flippant or snarky btw).

Are you after the Hifi-M8/LX ultimately? Or are you open to other choices?
What have you had previously?
Is it ease of UI or higher sample rates you are after?
Would a stand alone DAP meet your needs?
How about a DAP/AMP combo?
What cans or IEMs will you be powering?
At home or on the move?

Annnnd how much are you willing to spend budget wise?

*Dear reader please note: dis-satisfaction will occur and a gradual onset of malaise with a rapid onslaught of up-grade-itis with any audio purchase.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #263 of 1,326
FWIW...

I bought into the idea of the Centrance HiFi M8 because of the iPod capability and the superiority of external amplification.  I knew full well that 24/96 would be a great thing to have but High Rez copies of music are expensive and I have so much material that is in the 16/44.1 format in iTunes that I wonder how much of the time I will actually listen to 24/96.  (For us older folks, kind of like our direct to disc LP's; how much Lincoln Mayorga and Virgil Fox could one take? - Except Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker, of course).  I bought a new iPod 160 MB just for the Centrance.

(OK, I will admit that I also switched to a Galaxy S4 and bought an OTG cable from Forza Audio for a reason -- this is going to be great!  So many possibilities)

I did tell Centrance to hold off shipping until 24/96 was ready to go for the Apple products.  I have waited this long what's just a little while longer?

Hang in there you guys.  We are almost there.

PETER

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #265 of 1,326
Michael I'm now getting the same interference using the stock apple player so now it's confirmed that its not a problem with the ipeng app. The only other variable is the 3rd party lightning short cable I'm using. So I'm going to do some testing with the apple stock cable to see if that could be the cuprit.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #267 of 1,326
thank guys,

the reasons for getting out of apple dev..

the 2 iPods that I had been about 4 years plus and every now and then they started to behave abnormally..
   yes, I would like it to last forever..
   yes, better still if they don't fail

like every electronics gadgets I had.. most of them don't outlive for more than 5 years..

so if they died on me.. I will not, if given any option buy any apple dev..
 nothing again it... just finding it to tedious when they don't support other formats..

Anyway, I have to think about what Expat questions and re-consider my option..

thank again..

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #268 of 1,326
Quote:

the reasons for getting out of apple dev..

the 2 iPods that I had been about 4 years plus and every now and then they started to behave abnormally..
   yes, I would like it to last forever..
   yes, better still if they don't fail

like every electronics gadgets I had.. most of them don't outlive for more than 5 years..

so if they died on me.. I will not, if given any option buy any apple dev..
 nothing again it... just finding it to tedious when they don't support other formats..

My 1st gen iPod shuffle is still working.
My 4th gen iPod is still working.
My iPhone 3GS is still working. Though my iPhone 4 did fail completely on the 13th month, and I was miserable with Apple.

You must be a hardcore user of your electronics! Photos? 

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #269 of 1,326
I have an old iphone 3G which has a dead battery.
An ipod 5Th Gen whose battery i replaced.

An ipod touch 4th gen 32GB who has a failing battery but not too bad.
An iphone 4 with no sim card in use as transport, great battery.
An ipod touch 4G 64GB new.
(Using flacplayer app for the three above).

And thats why i chose the idevice version. Plus i didnt like some of the antics that went along with the AK100 release.
Plus i can always pick up a cheap ipod classic or something in the future.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #270 of 1,326
Sometime you have to take into consideration of the geographical location .
Especially in some Asia region where humidity is high thro out the year and unit are taken in and out of air-condition room.
 Corrosion in pcb is inevitable...

Yes, some items may last... And I do hope they last..
 take good care of my iPod by having protective cover and wipe them every once a while..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back